Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BarryTFurey
    What's the biggest problem with communication in your department? Interoperability? Dead spots? Not enough channels? Not enough planning/training? I'd be interested to know.
    Yes. Plus, outdated and inadequate SOPs, just for good measure.

However, the county controls the communications system and procedures, so we can't fix most of these things on our own.

Forum Member

in a different thread i said our dispatch center has improved a bunch and it is true.

sworn or non-sworn personnal i do not believe makes much of a difference but training dose.

one of the biggest problems we have with our dispatch center is that it is run by the pd

a couple of years ago a new dispatch center location and equipment was bought for the chief of police, every body here thought we were really getting something seeing how that all city and county agencies are dispatched from the same location. not

the pd chief has a bad attitude toward anything not police related.

here are two prime examples:

the local ema director obtained a tailer and it was converted into a mobile command/communications center.
    now acroding to the state statues the ema director is number three in the chain of command county judge exective,
    mayor,
    ema director,
    agency heads 4th on down the line.

the police chief refused to give the ema director permission to program and use his agnecies radio frequencies in the mobile command post.

can you say ego trip?

remember this is a brand new comm center they bought for his highness.

it seems that they did not spec. out the equipment needs properly when they were putting this thing together and they did not purchase enough recording modules for tapeing the radio traffic. and guess who was left out? the county fire depts.
    and they also seem to forgot to tell us this little oversight. we found out about it about 2 years later when one of the county depts. needed a copy of the tape covering one of their runs.

red headed step child in a big way

but wait a minute this dispatch center was built for the chief of police not for any one else in the county even if the city and county both pay for the thing
    and we will tell you about the house fire after we put on the cad that the north area pd officer is signing out for a meal break.

we have never heard of this happening but we have no proof that it did not.

the new supervisior has a long row to hoe and she will need all the help she can get. she has one thing going for her that is unheard of a lot at the police staion when it comes to communication problems she listens, an unheard of concept on the mount.

Forum Member

Angry Biggest Problem??

Hmm, that could be many. Ok where to start.
    1. CELL PHONES - In Massachusetts, Cell phones are answered at 1 of 3 locations. Middleboro, Framingham and Northampton State Police Dispatch centers. Problem: technology coupled with implementing inadequate equipment and inadaquate planning just is a trainwreck. I'll get specific if anybody cares.

2. VERIZON!!! Unfortunately, a lot of local departments get dispatched through there on radio system. Phone lines are used to connect our center to there system to tone out -Yes, people in the boondocks still use toning. MDT, what the hell is that?? LOL -Anyway, 8 out of 10 problems are caused by phone lines.

3. Nozzlehead and "The Law" decide their portables are "failsafe equipment" and that they can use them anywhere. Guess what, 5watts or less isn't going to cut it....Can u say REPEATER MAYBE!!

4. Outdated equipment - CAD and Radio systems. In My centers case, its the fault of the State Police MIS department or the Heads saying we don't need it. Yeah OK. Send a firefighter in without a hose or a cop without Pepperspray or gun...Don't really need it , right?

5. STATE TELECOMMUNICATIONS BOARD - No explanation needed. They are in there own world... Know what, I should have listed them as #1

6. Supervisors not listening to there people.

Guess that is enough for now. Cell phones are out of control.

Forum Member

Oh yes, I forgot to mention something above. Civilian, or Uniformed - If you are properly trained, makes no difference. Obviously someone is upset they had to get off there but and go back into the field. Just for the record, so no one is offended - I am a FF/EMT on a Volly Dept. I am a Police Officer, Part time (feels like full time) and Full time dispatcher working for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Last but not least I am not New, I remember the old alarms coming in a Punch tape.

Quote Originally Posted by dfd707

2. VERIZON!!! Unfortunately, a lot of local departments get dispatched through there on radio system. Phone lines are used to connect our center to there system to tone out -Yes, people in the boondocks still use toning. MDT, what the hell is that?? LOL -Anyway, 8 out of 10 problems are caused by phone lines.
    You are using verizon telephone lines to connect your remotely located towers to dispatch. This is done everywhere and it's the only way if you don't have microwave or other RF Links. This is perfectly normal. Unfortunately, phone lines are often the root of a problem. Trust me, SBC is no better.

You think tone paging is obsolete and has been replaced by MDT's? Dude, your way out there on that one. Totally off the wall.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dfd707
    1. CELL PHONES - In Massachusetts, Cell phones are answered at 1 of 3 locations. Middleboro, Framingham and Northampton State Police Dispatch centers. Problem: technology coupled with implementing inadequate equipment and inadaquate planning just is a trainwreck. I'll get specific if anybody cares.

3. Nozzlehead and "The Law" decide their portables are "failsafe equipment" and that they can use them anywhere. Guess what, 5watts or less isn't going to cut it....Can u say REPEATER MAYBE!!

4. Outdated equipment - CAD and Radio systems. In My centers case, its the fault of the State Police MIS department or the Heads saying we don't need it. Yeah OK. Send a firefighter in without a hose or a cop without Pepperspray or gun...Don't really need it , right?

5. STATE TELECOMMUNICATIONS BOARD - No explanation needed. They are in there own world... Know what, I should have listed them as #1

6. Supervisors not listening to there people.

Guess that is enough for now. Cell phones are out of control.
    I would say that a majority of your problems are easily fixable. Your problem is not the above list but a failure on your communication systems manager.

Cell phones........get phase II compliant (you are collecting 911 surcharges?)

Repeaters....build more! It is not the users fault that there is not enough infrastructure

Outdated equipment/state telecom board Who is going to these meetings, who is make noise, 5 billon is going to be set aside for interoperability, get some!

Someone needs to be dedicated (a full time job for someone) to fixing these problems. Push for someone to do this to fix the problems!

Telephone lines... Go microwave, should have been done from the beginning, leased lines are a cop out for critical infrastructure

Microwave isn't always possible if you don't have a clear shot and/or towers in convinient spots to make it happen. Sometimes RTPA circutis are it.

MembersZone Subscriber firefighterbeau's Avatar

How about our dispatch for the entire county ran out of the biggest city, 35,000 people, in the county, not only that but out of there PD.

Dispatchers hopping from PD channel, to county SO, to State Law Enforcement, to city FD, private ambulance, to another county channel, to one rural fire which has 2 depts on it channel. Depending on what all is happening they could be hopping through more channels if everyone in the county was out. There is 3 dispatchers, put one on city, and one on county, one on overflow. simple but they don't do that. They had a rural FD calling for directions to a fire and the dipatcher told them to standby, in the mean while that dispatcher switched to city PD and was telling the dog catcher where some dog was running loose in a neighbor hood.

Having 2 county repeaters one of which is the county highway dept., niether one works very well, lots of dead spots in the edges of the county. No direct portable radio to dispatch communications.

Dispatch not having a very good computer mapping system or E911/radio comm, and the county has all addresses start from the center of the city and go through out the county. For example my dept, no matter which direction from town we go its ALL a southwest address, until 5 miles south of town where the county line is, then its NW.

County 911 cooridnator on the CITY's payrole, and not giving a rat's @$$ about anything past the city limits.

Forum Member

Dont Want This To Sound Weird But I Dont Think We Really Have Too Much Of A Lack Of Communication Except That We Have Such A Large Center That Its Hard For Us To Communicate From Front To Back (ems And Fire In Back Circle, Pd In Front)....oh And One Fd If We Ever Go Into Site Trunking Mode For 800 Radios...they Are Screwed Cuse Their Tower Is Out Of Range Lol
    J.E. Guzman
    NC EMT-Intermediate
    NC Emergency Medical Dispatcher
    NENA Emergency Medical Dispatcher
    NENA Emergency Telecommunicator

Quote Originally Posted by Code3Jeep
    Dont Want This To Sound Weird But I Dont Think We Really Have Too Much Of A Lack Of Communication Except That We Have Such A Large Center That Its Hard For Us To Communicate From Front To Back (ems And Fire In Back Circle, Pd In Front)....
    That should be easy to fix with phone or console intercoms.

oh And One Fd If We Ever Go Into Site Trunking Mode For 800 Radios...they Are Screwed Cuse Their Tower Is Out Of Range Lol
    Failsoft mode is a pain in the *** even when you are in range!

Thread Information