Default Support a brother firefighter

Some of you have probably heard that Rock Hill FireFighter Matt Cooper was fired yesterday because of an outdated anti-nepotism law. FF Cooper married a capt's daughter in june of this year and the City of Rock Hill SC decided to enforce this unfair and old policy. The IAFF is persuing legal action against the city, but a louder voice needs to be heard from his BROTHER firefighters. You can e-mail the mayor of Rock Hill at cbell@ci.rock-hill.sc.us

FF Jarrod Byrd
    Houston Tx

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm all for supporting a brother firefighter, but it's clear that this guy is in the wrong. He brought this on himself. He was aware of the rule and he willing broke the rule even though he knew it would result in his termination. He even turned down an offer from the chief to transfer him to another department. I think I'll save my e-mail for a firefighter who has been wronged, and not wrong.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member

OK while I disagree with the judge's ruling, has or has not Mr. Cooper broken any laws. I am all for standing up and helping anyway I can, but what does the law state? When was the law enacted? How is the law or policy stated in the employees handbook? Please, do not take this as I am defending the judge or the city, Lord only knows how much I think most cities try to crew you anyhow, but more info on the deal would be great. I mean, let's be real, emailing the mayor of a major metroplitan city, about a nepotism clause? Sounds great but there has to be something more we can all go on. How about a short term offer of a job for him so he can get money in his pcoket and food in his mouth!! I personnaly cannot offer anything, but tons of FF's have personal businesses and such, is what I a referring too.

Pickheadaxe

ironmint
    it is true that FF Cooper broke the rules, but those rules were set up to keep family members from helping get other relatives hired. Matt was already hired and he fell in love. The city did offer him other jobs, but in the parks dept and street dept. As a FF would you take those jobs? I wouldn't, I have the greatest job in the world. His Fire Chief did say he would help him get another job at another FD, but he would lose seniority and have to be a rookie all over again. I've done that, and let me tell you it sucks. The city can change their outdated anti-nepotism law, they just don't want to. Let's give matt all the support we can.
    Pickheadaxe
    Rock hill, SC is not a major metropolitan city, it has around 50,000 people. If you need more info on this situation check out sconfire's link above this post.
    Let's all help a brother out
    FF Jarrod Byrd
    Houston, TX

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default Re: Support a brother firefighter

Originally posted by jarrodbyrd
    Some of you have probably heard that Rock Hill FireFighter Matt Cooper was fired yesterday because of an outdated anti-nepotism law. FF Cooper married a capt's daughter in june of this year and the City of Rock Hill SC decided to enforce this unfair and old policy. The IAFF is persuing legal action against the city, but a louder voice needs to be heard from his BROTHER firefighters. You can e-mail the mayor of Rock Hill at cbell@ci.rock-hill.sc.us

FF Jarrod Byrd
    Houston Tx
    Jarrod I see this is your 1st post, Welcome.
    I too emailed the mayor of Rock Hill in support of our BROTHER.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40