MembersZone Subscriber

Default ...and she'll never complain about you hanging out at the firehouse!

Japanese develop 'female' android
    By David Whitehouse
    Science editor, BBC News website

She has flexible silicone for skin rather than hard plastic, and a number of sensors and motors to allow her to turn and react in a human-like manner.

She can flutter her eyelids and move her hands like a human. She even appears to breathe.

Professor Hiroshi Ishiguru of Osaka University says one day robots could fool us into believing they are human.

Repliee Q1 is not like any robot you will have seen before, at least outside of science-fiction movies.

She is designed to look human and although she can only sit at present, she has 31 actuators in her upper body, powered by a nearby air compressor, programmed to allow her to move like a human.

We have found that people forget she is an android while interacting with her

Prof Hiroshi Ishiguru
    "I have developed many robots before," Repliee Q1's designer, Professor Ishiguru, told the BBC News website, "but I soon realised the importance of its appearance. A human-like appearance gives a robot a strong feeling of presence."

Designed to look human

Before Repliee Q1, Professor Ishiguru developed Repliee R1 which had the appearance of a five-year-old Japanese girl.

Its head could move in nine directions and it could gesture with its arm. Four high-sensitivity tactile sensors were placed under the skin of its left arm that made the android react differently to differing pressures.

Scientists think that, one day, robots could fool us into believing they were human
    The follow-up has the appearance of a Japanese woman. To program her motion, a computer analysed the motions of a human and used them as a template for the way Repliee Q1 moves.

She can be designed to follow the movement of a human wearing motion sensors or to act independently.

"Repliee Q1 can interact with people. It can respond to people touching it. It's very satisfying, although we obviously have a long way to go yet."

Professor Ishiguru believes that it may prove possible to build an android that could pass for a human, if only for a brief period.

"An android could get away with it for a short time, 5-10 seconds. However, if we carefully select the situation, we could extend that, to perhaps 10 minutes," he said.

"More importantly, we have found that people forget she is an android while interacting with her. Consciously, it is easy to see that she is an android, but unconsciously, we react to the android as if she were a woman."

MembersZone Subscriber

Since this is a "family friendly" forum and we have Explorers bouncing off the walls in here I will limit my response to this post to three words... and then I will be on my way.

IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITES !

...that is all.
    Last edited by StLRes2cue; 07-27-2005 at 08:02 PM.

Forum Member

Make it anatomically correct, give it a cooking subroutine, and they'd sell like hot cakes....
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Forum Member

Default Re: ...and she'll never complain about you hanging out at the firehouse!

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Japanese develop 'female' android
    By David Whitehouse
    Science editor, BBC News website

She has flexible silicone for skin rather than hard plastic, and a number of sensors and motors to allow her to turn and react in a human-like manner.

She can flutter her eyelids and move her hands like a human. She even appears to breathe.

Professor Hiroshi Ishiguru of Osaka University says one day robots could fool us into believing they are human.

Repliee Q1 is not like any robot you will have seen before, at least outside of science-fiction movies.

She is designed to look human and although she can only sit at present, she has 31 actuators in her upper body, powered by a nearby air compressor, programmed to allow her to move like a human.

We have found that people forget she is an android while interacting with her

Prof Hiroshi Ishiguru
    "I have developed many robots before," Repliee Q1's designer, Professor Ishiguru, told the BBC News website, "but I soon realised the importance of its appearance. A human-like appearance gives a robot a strong feeling of presence."

Designed to look human

Before Repliee Q1, Professor Ishiguru developed Repliee R1 which had the appearance of a five-year-old Japanese girl.

Its head could move in nine directions and it could gesture with its arm. Four high-sensitivity tactile sensors were placed under the skin of its left arm that made the android react differently to differing pressures.

Scientists think that, one day, robots could fool us into believing they were human
    The follow-up has the appearance of a Japanese woman. To program her motion, a computer analysed the motions of a human and used them as a template for the way Repliee Q1 moves.

She can be designed to follow the movement of a human wearing motion sensors or to act independently.

"Repliee Q1 can interact with people. It can respond to people touching it. It's very satisfying, although we obviously have a long way to go yet."

Professor Ishiguru believes that it may prove possible to build an android that could pass for a human, if only for a brief period.

"An android could get away with it for a short time, 5-10 seconds. However, if we carefully select the situation, we could extend that, to perhaps 10 minutes," he said.

"More importantly, we have found that people forget she is an android while interacting with her. Consciously, it is easy to see that she is an android, but unconsciously, we react to the android as if she were a woman."
    Beware the Cylons commeth!
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Make sure you have have a good OFF switch for the thing. Anything labled "FEMALE" will give us problems sooner or later.

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: ...and she'll never complain about you hanging out at the firehouse!

Originally posted by Lewiston2Capt

Beware the Cylons commeth!
    I wonder if she looks like Grace Park's character, Lt. Sharon Valerii call sign "Boomer"... Raptor pilot and a Cylon.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Originally posted by tomwnh
    Make sure you have have a good OFF switch for the thing. Anything labled "FEMALE" will give us problems sooner or later.
    For reasons that are somewhat beyond my ability to explain clearly, I had similar thoughts........

But I like the idea of "give it a cooking subroutine, and they'd sell like hot cakes...." I enjoy cooking but its nice to share that detail.

**looking over shoulder to make sure I wasn't "overheard"... Oh wait there's no one home but me 'n Da Dawg - and he don't talk much. **
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

We're about two posts away from "Wrath of WOT".

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    We're about two posts away from "Wrath of WOT".
    Now why would you say that George?

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Forget hiding the credit cards, the fembot doesn't need them now. She'll just tap into the system and spend away!
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

Originally posted by StLRes2cue
    Since this is a "family friendly" forum and we have Explorers bouncing off the walls in here I will limit my response to this post to three words... and then I will be on my way.

IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITES !

...that all.
    Yeah, but what happens when they make a male version?

Baby androids?

Forum Member

One major downside:

Once a month she kicks the holy crap out of the lawnmower for no good reason!!!
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

MembersZone Subscriber

Dont' forget about driving.. now matter how good the programming is, she'll never be able to parallel park.

Forum Member

So some of the people forget they're talking to an android? Do they just fail to notice the hose running from the air compressor?

Sr. Information Officer

Talking

They haven't quite worked out some kinks in the facial features.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Originally posted by StayBack500FT
    One major downside:

Once a month she kicks the holy crap out of the lawnmower for no good reason!!!
    FOC-ROF-LMAO

Thanks SB, I needed a good laugh first thing!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

"it's very satisfying" is the part I noticed
    2005 Pontiac Wave 5 Hatch
    Pontiac... built for drivers

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Silicone Valley.. :>

Ok.. The SECOND thing I'd program her to do would be to say in a sweet and loving voice "Be careful out there Honey, I'll have a nice steaming cup of tea ready for you when you get back" every time the fire pager goes off.. this would be instead of the usual "Jesus Christ turn that g*ddamned thing off, don't blame me when your tired tomorrow it's your own fault, how come you never respond like this when I need something, your just going to hang out at the station and do nothing....." You get the picture

Ahhh yes..

And don't forget of course the optional remote

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Silicone Valley.. :>

Originally posted by Fawlty
    "Jesus Christ turn that g*ddamned thing off, don't blame me when your tired tomorrow it's your own fault, how come you never respond like this when I need something, your just going to hang out at the station and do nothing....." You get the picture

I thought that speech was just given at my house..

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Here is the standard floor model. I prefer more of the classic Stepford wife model.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

nope that phrase was uttered at my house too!!!! only with the addition of "do you have to have it that loud?! (any lower and it would have been off)!!!
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Re: ...and she'll never complain about you hanging out at the firehouse!

As I hollered,MST3K style,at the first episode"Dude,you kissed a Cylon!"

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

I wonder if she looks like Grace Park's character, Lt. Sharon Valerii call sign "Boomer"... Raptor pilot and a Cylon.

MembersZone Subscriber

"Jesus Christ turn that g*ddamned thing off, don't blame me when your tired tomorrow it's your own fault, how come you never respond like this when I need something, your just going to hang out at the station and do nothing....." You get the picture
    I get that speech too, it must be a standard.

The funny things is when we had a call for a possible house fire in our neighborhood, the speech was:

What's taking you so long!!! Are you going to let the whole neighborhood burn down!!

Forum Member

Hmmmmm, I wonder if they'll make a male model to your exact specifications.........

Just think girls, they may have finally invented a ummmmmmmmmm "tool"that does indeed vacumm and do dishes.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I'd make sure that it came with the 'Mute' button.

Thread Information