Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default South Carolina Questions

Hello,
    I have been looking at fire jobs around the country, and have noticed an abundance of jobs in South Carolina. On top of that, I know some people that were hired in South Carolina fairly easily compared to Northeast Ohio.
    My questions are as follows:

1. The pay for theese jobs seems quite low compared to what the starting salaries are near where I am. ($24,000avg-$40,000avg)

2. Is the cost of living in line with the starting salaries? (IE: will I be able to support myself and my family?)

3. Does anybody know of any departments that have a record of good things in regards to employment? (IE: good pay, benefits, equipment, etc...)

Thank You,

Ben

I wish you the very best no matter where you end up!
    Last edited by JackTee09; 07-28-2005 at 03:49 PM.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber Firedan38's Avatar

i suggest checking this website if you havent already:
    www.sconfire.com.
    lots of information
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

Default southcarolina is allright

Montvillefire39

I worked in South Carolina for 5 yrs just outside Charleston, Nice area but very low pay. They are a right to work state no union pull. But if you want nice weather and no snow its a good place. If you looking for a good dept. check out Charleston FD. or Mt. Pleasant, Hiltonhead, St. Johns Fire Rescue is a decent one too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lido,
    Thank you for your reply. I know the pay is low, but is it line with cost of living. I mean will I be eating ramen noodle and living in a tent? I have heard that the market is decent. I have heard as a FFII/Medic, finding a job should not be terribly difficult.

Thanks,
    Ben

I used to work for the city of North Charleston , it was a decent department(which i should have never left) working 24 on 48 off so you could always get another job part time to supplement money, the benefits were great there also, like someone stated go onto sconfire.com and ask about them and Grant i am sure could answer tons of questions being he is a captain there. Cost wise it is cheaper the farther out of the city area you go so if you are willing to commute say 1/2 hr you may save a bundle.

this is the dep. site

http://www.ncfd.org/

and oh yeah if you do go for a job there tell them you want station 2 lol MUCHOS FIRE !!
    Last edited by BFDNJFF; 08-04-2005 at 02:05 PM.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Thread Information