Forum Member

Default What do you grab when you...

get off your ladder. Figure you have a four man crew..what does your crew each have?

Forum Member

Default Re: What do you grab when you...

Originally posted by pfd4life
    get off your ladder. Figure you have a four man crew..what does your crew each have?
    When I get off the ladder, hopefully I have everything that I went up with!!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Do you mean 4 on the roof or a 4 man ladder company? We have 4 on our company, so one wold run the aerial and the other 3 go to the roof. One would have half of our high-rise pack and a handlight. One would have the other half of the pack and a bag of rescue rope. The third would have a vent saw. We have an axe and pike pole near the tip so you dont need to carry them up with you.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

If it was up to me AND EVERYONE HAD A RADIO:

1 Can FF: 6' hook & 2 1/2 gallon pressurized water extinguisher

1 Irons: Halligan & Sledge w/ Hydraulic Forcible Entry tool (rabbit/bunny tool)

That would make up the "Inside Team" who will go in, locate the fire and then search for victims.

The "Outside Team" would consist of:

1 Outside Vent: 6' Hook & Halligan

His position is off an aerial, TL, Fire Escape, or portable ladder opposite the fire and VES's the fire

1 Roof FF: 6' Hook, Halligan, Saw or Roof Rope

Get to the roof and vent by whatever means necessary (skylights, scuttles, bulkhead, cut a hole, top floor windows, etc...)

If the 4 FFs includes the boss then he should have the irons & HFET. If 4 FFs does not include the boss then the boss should be overseeing the operation and carry a handlight and officers tool

Anyone else have any thoughts?
    Good Luck, Stay Low & Stay Safe

Nate DeMarse
    Co-Owner, Brotherhood Instructors, LLC.
    http://brotherhoodinstructors.com
    Facebook Users: Join us here
    -------------------------------
    GET IN THE JOB, BE A STUDENT OF THE JOB!

Forum Member

Okay..let me rephrase, 6 man truck , boss, operator and four man crew.

Forum Member

Wow 6 man crew on a ladder. Lucky you. Around here it's a 4 man crew, Driver, Officer, and 2 Firefighters. Man it would be nice to have 6.

Stay Safe
    Firedog21 I.A.F.F. Proud

Forum Member

The 2 jump seat guys one has the irons one has the can and pike pole. The team has a radio and a search line. The other 2 set up the truck and start external ventalation. Our normal crew is Driver, Officer and two in the jump seats.
    When opening up the roof remember plywood comes in 4' X 8' sheets.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

Forum Member

1 Can FF: 6' hook & 2 1/2 gallon pressurized water extinguisher

1 Irons: Halligan & Axe

1 Outside Vent: 6' Hook & Halligan

1 Roof FF: 6' Hook, Saw

1 Officer: TIC & Pry-Axe

1 Driver: If aerial being used, he operates that. If not, he assists Roof FF and brings Axe & Halligan.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Most of the time,my vollie department has enough folks respond to fill out 1 officer and 4 man crews but there are times we don't,usually during the day when normal folks are working.
    In any case,the first in rig,the officer broadcasts his size up of the scene,the guy on the passenger side bails out and drags hydrant line,the guy following him grabs the irons(haligan and flathead axe),the driver sets up for pumping and the final guy off grabs the attack line to head for the entrance or to the vehicle fire.
    All of the people heading to the fire have packed up and have the air hose on the slide(we use MSA Firehawk masks).
    The next in rig breaks out the hose for relay if needed,ventilation and truckee work,etc.

Originally posted by firedog21
    Wow 6 man crew on a ladder. Lucky you. Around here it's a 4 man crew, Driver, Officer, and 2 Firefighters. Man it would be nice to have 6.

Stay Safe
    Firedog21 I.A.F.F. Proud

Forum Member

pretty much what NDemarse said. Right out of the books. And those are just the basics right there. Those assignement change a little depending on the type of occupancy and the order in which your arrival will be (1st or 2nd due). For example, if I have the irons I'm not going to take the maul into a tenament, the axe & haligan with the bunny tool will be sufficient.
    Last edited by firefiftyfive; 07-28-2005 at 12:23 PM.

Forum Member

As Clint Eastwood's character in Heartbreak ridge said"Improvise,adapt and overcome!"

Originally posted by firefiftyfive
    pretty much what NDemarse said. Right out of the books. And those are just the basics right there. Those assignement change a little depending on the type of occupancy and the order in which your arrival will be (1st or 2nd due). For example, if I have the irons I'm not going to take the maul into a tenament, the axe & haligan with the bunny tool will be sufficient.

MembersZone Subscriber

WOW, 6 man crew, thats nice. I would have:

1-can man w/6ft hook
    1-irons man
    1-vent w/saw and hook
    1-officer
    and then I would send the other 2 guys to help out the engine company! (sorry, I'm an engine guy).

God bless and pull the ceiling as you go.

Forum Member

Our department is odd..I would prefer an operator, boss and two man crew, but we almost always fill the truck up for fires, or possible ones. At this point we are attempting to crate job sheets for each person in the seats, what they need to accomplish, and what tools they need to have in their hands. We have some issues, and we are trying to correct them. This has helped..thanks..

Forum Member

Originally posted by firedog21

Stay Safe
    Firedog21 I.A.F.F. Proud

No kidding! 6 FFs, hmmmm. Add "tripping over the extra FFs" to my first post.

Oh my, you guys and your "cans"

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member

What's wrong with "cans"?

Good Luck, Stay Low & Stay Safe

Nate DeMarse
    Co-Owner, Brotherhood Instructors, LLC.
    http://brotherhoodinstructors.com
    Facebook Users: Join us here
    -------------------------------
    GET IN THE JOB, BE A STUDENT OF THE JOB!

Forum Member

Originally posted by NDeMarse
    What's wrong with "cans"?

Nothing, just seeing whos chain I could rattle (for fun)

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

MembersZone Subscriber

And add 2 oz. dawn dishwashing liquid to them cans and you have a powerful weapon there. I did some experimenting with this and was really impressed.

Forum Member

Dawn helps break the surface tension of the water..or whatever surface your using it on that's in reference to the cans comment.

Forum Member

Originally posted by CAPPYY
    And add 2 oz. dawn dishwashing liquid to them cans and you have a powerful weapon there. I did some experimenting with this and was really impressed.

Yes, that works very well. We had soap in our cans for years then tried class A foam. Didnt notice a difference. That and we had someone put too much foam in the can and it gummed up the "works". We have since switched back to plain old soap.

BTW, I jsut like to palyfully rib the Brothers who use cans as part of their interior operations. See , we only use them for mop-up, small outside fires or washing blood & guts off the side walk after messy EMS calls.

Never in a million years would we take a can inside to attack a fire or carry one to a roof. Thats what hose lines are for. And I dont mean just my department. No one in my area would use them like that.

But I know, LOTS of departments do and thats fine. Have fun with your can, Ill bring the 1 3/4".

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member

Talking Equipment

When i jump off the engine for anything major depending on my job if i am not on the pipe i am the irons man i come in and bust in your very expensive front doors for my boys BUT if i am the pipeman as usually happens i TAKE the FIGHT to the fire. BUT since i live in BEDROCK i am usually carrying the irons or a halagon bar with me mostly because they r more diverse to use.. and because they cause more damage

Forum Member

I must say.. I'm there with Dave1983 as we also do not use a can for much other than: trashcan fire, small car fire, overhaul, small clean-up, etc. It certainly isn't one of the first things we grab when we pull up to a working house fire. Although I work with several guys who have either 1. worked up north, or 2. have brothers or other relatives that work up north (namely NY and NJ) and they always talk about putting out fires with a can, that we'd pull a line for. I would love to take a can in for a room and contents fire like they talk about all the time. I have heard several stories about the size of the fires that ya'll use a can to contain and I think it would be cool to see that. Don't get me wrong, for a small fire inside we'll use a can, but usually a room and contents with smoke showing outside... we'll pull a line. I would like to use a can more myself.

Forum Member

Ok, about the only serious "truck work" that's done here is ventilation due to the fact that we basically have single story structures, and we don't have a truck, so the work is usually assigned to the rescue (assuming it's staffed .. we are a primarily vollie department and the 1-2 paid men are usually on the engine).
    Making the assumption that we have been assigned to vent (both a roof and horizontal PP ventilation) and we have a total of 4 (we would never have 6 assigned to the task ... just not enough bodies) the assignments would probably look like this.
    Officer - he will be working ... not "supervising" ... TI, handlight, probably irons .. and he will help jack ladders.
    FF1 ... cut-off saw .. handlight
    FF2 ... 3' and 6' pike, axe .. handlight
    FF4 ... probably assigned to get PPV going at front door and then help set-up ladders ... will probably foot ladder and be the "ground gofer"

Thread Information