+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Default Putting on your mask.

I was always told to come off the truck ready to work. So being ready for me means pack on with a light and a tool.
    We have a new Lt. that is insisting we put on our mask in the truck. This makes it awful hard to catch a hydrant and perform all the work you need to do before you get to the front door. Just wanted to know what policies are out there.

Forum Member

The first thing I would ask would be:

What is your department policy? You should abide by that.

As to coming off the truck with the mask on you are going to get a variety of answers but for what it is worth here is mine:

It makes no sense. Unless the rig is pulling into the fire building there is little practical sense in wearing it until you get where you need it. Some poeple have an issue with this approach but I don't. I have been in agressive departments.

However-as stated earlier - abide by your departmental policy. Maybe you should put it on in the morning and wear it all day -ya know!
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

You might find this thread helpful.

Over Here

Am I obligated to say "Pardon me....."

~Jeff
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

Forum Member

I agree with him, you should make sure thats your depts policy. However if it is, they seriously need to reconsider. Like he said, whats the point. I guess next they'll want you on air when you get there too. Its great to be ready to enter as soon as you get there, but lets be honest, how long does it take to put a mask on?
    A Volunteer Firefighter wants to make a difference. A Trained Volunteer Firefighter does make a difference.

Forum Member

Default Re: Putting on your mask.

Originally posted by mradice
    I was always told to come off the truck ready to work. So being ready for me means pack on with a light and a tool.
    We have a new Lt. that is insisting we put on our mask in the truck. This makes it awful hard to catch a hydrant and perform all the work you need to do before you get to the front door. Just wanted to know what policies are out there.

Are you talking about the complete SCBA and face piece or just the cylinder and harness? Our policy is to put the harness with cylinder on and have the face piece ready if there is a working fire or the need for being on air. Making a hydrant with full gear and air mask on may sound difficult, but if the member is in a reasonability good shape, you should be able to do that job.

I would review the department’s policy and procedures on putting on the SCBA’s and face piece.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Putting on your mask.

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer

Making a hydrant with full gear and air mask on may sound difficult, but if the member is in a reasonability good shape, you should be able to do that job.

Yea you may be able to do that job but how long will you be able to operate on the fire floor or fire building. By wearing your mask out in the street and using it while you are hooking up is a COMPLETE WASTE OF AIR! In my opinion that mask should not be on until absolutely necessary. You will want all the air possible to make your search or operate your line through the apartment. And I am in good shape.But after you climb a few flights of stairs, force the door, and the adrenaline is going you are going to want every bit of air you have! And so is that person that is trapped in a rear bedroom!Leave the mask off until it is necessary to put it on and we all know that situations dictate. Also by having a face piece on when you get off the rig, it is very possible that you will miss key things that are a part of your size up. IMHO STAY SAFE!
    Last edited by firefiftyfive; 07-28-2005 at 06:38 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Tell the L.T. " No problem, we'll have our masks on, so we can directly into operations. However, while we abide with your order, please have a five minute window available to us while we switch out the cylinders and get ready to go interior." Either that, or simply put the mask on, step off the truck, take the mask off. Whatever seems to be a reasonable response.
    Isiah 43: When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    9-11-01. We Will Never Forget You.

Forum Member

Exclamation

I think what the oldcap'n was saying was to put the mask unit on before you dismounted the rig and then when you need to go on air, then put the face piece on and connect the air hose. I read it twice and this is what I got from it. Can't believe that anyone would be taking hydrants while breathing off the air cylinder, unless the atmosphere would require it.

I agree that being on air and just milling around on the street doesn’t make sense and uses up the air.
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Forum Member

Making a hydrant with full gear and air mask on may sound difficult, but if the member is in a reasonability good shape, you should be able to do that job.
    True - and if they are in great shape they could wear it all day.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

I believe that stepping of the truck with your mask on your face (either on or off air) leads to a condition thats common in the fire service. I believe your LT is showing signs of it already. Its called

TUNNEL VISION

MembersZone Subscriber

TUNNEL VISION

I thought that only happened in my dept.

Forum Member

I'm having a hard time trying to understand what your Lieutenant is trying to prove. If you can find out let us all know. There is nothing wrong with being aggressive, and I believe in fast tracking in certain areas. Does your Lieutenant come off the rig with his mask on, and breathing air?, does he do a walk around of the structure and have a game plan ON AIR prior to your entry. We do what we call front porch drills, this training has improved our proficiency in making entry. Each Firefighter has an assignment, stretching the attack line, having tools ready, reading the structure. By the time I do a walk around and prepare my plan my crew is ready, I convey my plan we then go on air and go to work. You will find out that the more you practice the front door drill the better prepared you will be without having to put your mask on in the rig. SAVE YOUR AIR.

Forum Member

There's nothing better than running around with your mask on in Jan. in the North East. It dosn't take long to fog up.
    When opening up the roof remember plywood comes in 4' X 8' sheets.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

Forum Member

or simply put the mask on, step off the truck, take the mask off. Whatever seems to be a reasonable response.
    get a few brownie points under your belt for that one.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

Ok, enough with the "wasting air" arguments. He isn't talking about being on air. He is talking about having your mask on. When you get ready to make entry, then you go on air.

Unfortunately, this is how it is done in my department as well. I don't like it. Nothing like pulling a 2 1/2 off the hosebed or hooking up to a hydrant with a mask on.

For no longer than it takes to put a mask on, I don't see the necessity to have the mask on. Have the SCBA on and bottle turned on, and strap the mask around your neck. It makes life much easier.

Not a big deal for me though. I just do it the way everyone else in the department does it.

Forum Member

I don't understand putting the mask on that soon, for me if I am not about to go on air, my breath will fog up my mask so fast, I won't be able to see a thing! Not much good to anyone then, more of a danger with impaired vision.

Forum Member

"The safety fairy runs amuck"
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Exclamation

I think that some have read incorrectly, what I replied about the air mask.

If you go back to my reply, I said “We put the harness with the air cylinder on before we get off the ride”. We DO NOT go on air, until it is time to do so. We have individual face pieces assigned and they are in a pouch ready to be connected, if you are required to be on air. I never said that you should be breathing off the cylinder and not engaging in the firefighter activities.

I am sorry if I confuse some of you guys.

In different parts on our wonderful country, the air mask, SCBA, breather is referring to by more names that I have fingers! It has been call many things.

Even the media calls it an oxygen tank and not breathing air!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer

Even the media calls it an oxygen tank and not breathing air!

Shows you what the "know-it-all" media knows! I really want to go into a working fire with an oxygen tank strapped to my back!

MembersZone Subscriber

It could be worse. Where I work, they have a number of crash carts, with the thirty or forty pound O2 cylinders attached to the side. Recently, one of the people who work in the building stopped me and asked how hard it is to manuever in a building with this *points to 02 tank* on my back. Mind you, thing is about four feet long or so. I simply replied " Those are the new models, which must be used by someone not less than six foot six." Incrediably this person nodded their head, agreed that was a wise choice, and walked off. My concern now is that the person is one of the smartest people in the labaratory we have. Kind of makes you wonder...
    Isiah 43: When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    9-11-01. We Will Never Forget You.

Forum Member

MSA's Firehawk mask won't start the air until the hose is docked on the mask.There's a slide on the mask that the hose clips to and you can walk around all day long,masked up and air valve open,you won't start breathing from the tank until you clip it down.
    Enroute,the officer for my truck decides who he wants on air and who he wants tapping the hydrant.We have the airpack racks built into the seats for "easier" donning.The hydrant guy can always run back and grab a pack when he's done but the attack and entry guys need to be ready ASAP.

Forum Member

Originally posted by SkipJack270
    It could be worse... one of the people who work in the building stopped me and asked how hard it is to manuever in a building with this *points to 02 tank* on my back. ... Incrediably this person nodded their head, agreed that was a wise choice, and walked off.
    OUCH!

Forum Member

Does anyone know if the Navy still uses the "beloved"OBA(oxygen brathing apparatus)which strapped on front?
    Try climbing through a hatch scuttle(15"?)while wearing one of those puppies.
    We didn't have this stuff when I was in the Nav back in the 80s but on the navy News shows on cable access,I'd been seeing more and more shipboard firefighting parties donning turnout gear before going to work.It's probably universal now.
    When we started getting Nomex hoods,the first ones were used by the repair locker officer and the on scene leader,neither of whom usually went into the affected space.
    We just rolled down our sleeve,tucked our dungarees into our socks and buttoned up the collar."You're going into a fireroom where a fuel line flange is leaking and spraying JP5 onto a lit off boiler.Good luck with it."
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by SkipJack270
    [B]It could be worse. Where I work, they have a number of crash carts, with the thirty or forty pound O2 cylinders attached to the side. Recently, one of the people who work in the building stopped me and asked how hard it is to manuever in a building with this *points to 02 tank* on my back. Mind you, thing is about four feet long or so.

Forum Member

We dont mask up till its ime to go on air. If you do, your mask will fog up. This is a big problem down here. Getting out of an air conditioned rig into 90% humidity.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

It makes sense to wait.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

+ Reply to Thread