Forum Member

Don't know if anyone has seen this but it is along the lines of what we are discussing:

A firefighter candidate who was disqualified from the city's hiring list because of a failed background check received five traffic tickets in Sangamon County between 1993 and 2004, according to court records.

However, it was not known Thursday whether that was the reason Michael Newman, 30, was cut from the list of prospective hires for the Springfield Fire Department. The city says it cannot give Newman an explanation without a court order.

Newman was the only black candidate among the top 18 applicants on the hiring list for the fire department, which currently has little minority representation.

Newman said he'd be surprised if the tickets were responsible for his disqualification.

"Then I would wonder what everyone else's records look like," he said. "Five tickets over an 11-year span. ... I've worked with and I've known people that have had five tickets over a three-month span."

Newman also noted that his background, including his driving record, has been examined in the past.

"If (the tickets) are a red flag, it should've popped up before," he said.

Newman was one of 351 candidates who passed physical and written tests to become firefighters and were placed on a hiring list that was certified earlier this year by the city's Civil Service Commission. Such lists are whittled further as the candidates are subjected to background investigations and psychological tests

Candidates who fail either the background or psychological portions of the hiring process are cut from the list and sent a letter notifying them as much. However, city officials say recent court rulings prohibit them from explaining to candidates why they were cut.

Newman said he's now in the process of obtaining a court order.

"That's the only recourse that the city leaves me. It's not my first choice. I'd rather someone be strong enough to say, 'Hey, this is the reason,' so I'm not having to pay legal debts," he said.

The background checks look at medical history, education, military service, finances, prior employment, vehicular information, criminal history and references, said Ernie Slottag, spokesman for Mayor Tim Davlin.

"That's not city policy; that was established by the courts," he said. He stressed that Davlin has nothing to do with determining who is or is not cut from the hiring lists.

In 2003, three firefighter applicants were disqualified because of issues with their background and psychological tests. They said the real reason they had been passed over was that they were involved with the military and could be called to active duty, meaning they wouldn't be immediately available to become firefighters.

Five of the applicants had been disqualified as the result of psychological tests, and the judge said the commission was entitled to rely on its expert's assessment. The other four were removed because of findings in their background investigations. The issues ranged from applicants who had many traffic violations to questions about work history.

Newman said he does not have a criminal background. He has worked as a correctional officer and a youth counselor, both of which required background checks. He is a U.S. Navy veteran and held top-secret clearances when he served in Bosnia. He said he had passed two background checks within the past six months for Wells Fargo, his current employer.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

The real big question for the residents of City of Bridgeport will Earl King Jr be a good firefighter for the City of Bridgeport Fire Department ? Let’s check his background out.

Earl King Jr is a Felon that was arrested for sale 50 gram of crack cocaine

Earl King Jr has least 10 to 15 misdemeanors for sale of lot of crack cocaine.

Earl King Jr was a big part of Russell and Adrian Peeler killer gang.

The crack cocaine Earl King Jr sold result in many deaths in the City of Bridgeport plus a lot of injurys to City of Bridgeport Police officers.

The money that was made from Earl King Jr selling Crack cocaine gave Russell and Adrian Peeler the resources go on killing cattle raid.

The Russell and Adrian Peeler killed the following people

Karen Clarke, 30, 7-year-old boy Leroy "B.J." Brown Jr, Rudolph Snead Jr.

I would say no way in hell.

The City of Bridgeport Civil Service Commission wrote a check they can’t cash. They got there felons now they will now have to hire all 600 Candidates on the oral exam plus 1500 Candidates who failed the written test plus all of the convicted sex offender, murderers, rapist, Arson who were turn away from the Hiring Notice for the hiring clearly states (No Candidate will be considered for appointment that has been convicted of a felony, or is of bad moral character) and (Candidates must pass the background investigation conducted by the Bridgeport Police Department)
    With the two groups of people with Lawsuit’s right now pending in federal court who are seeking close to $200 Millions of Dollars plus the one my lawyers are filing plus many many more on the horizon the City of Bridgeport will be on its way to the Bankruptcy Court ten time over. This is very very sad City of Bridgeport Civil Service Commission got there Felons Firefighters now and also rumors they got pay off $$$ from drug dealers for granting the felons jobs.
    The city of Bridgeport will now be in Bankruptcy Court.
    Last edited by petjack77; 07-29-2005 at 04:28 PM.

"DRIVERS WANTED®" (Volkswagen)
    "FELONS WANTED" (Bridgeport Civil Service)

Forum Member

PETJACK:

No offense intended but I could barely read what you wrote.

As to the situation 95% of firefighters would not support hiring a felon. Bridgeport should not allow the person to be hired and I doubt they will now.

By all means seek whatever it is you want in compensation - but "breaking" the city only hurts the citizens-not the lousy bums who make the rules. Still - I would be furious if I was on a list and some nitwit with a lengthy record was allowed on - that is BullS###.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber

i changed my mind
    Last edited by WaffleHut; 07-29-2005 at 10:42 PM.

Forum Member

Default Re: The Floodgate have open City of Bridgeport to hire Felons as Firefighters

Originally posted by petjack77
    The approval followed pleas from Donald Day, a retired city fire captain and director of the Northeast Region of the International Association of Black Professional Fire Fighters, and Ron Mackey, president of the Firebirds Society, an organization of black city firefighters.
    HellOOOOooo!
    IAFF

Some Guy

Petjack,
    I understand that you are angry. While I agree with not hiring felons at the same time thinking that the city will hire all of those people is a bit much. I think you might be a little out over your skis. Like I said though I understand your frustrations.

When fire departments do their hiring they are looking for the best of the best. Firefighters are held to the utmost trust in a community. I can’t remember the last time I locked my locker. I have gone through shifts with the door wide open. Matter of fact one of the best ways to see who is working the shift is to see whose lockers are wide open. In the inner area of the firehouse wallets and cell phones are thrown about. We have open mailboxes that have all kinds of personal effects sticking out. If lunch is ordered instead of made change can sometimes be left sitting out for hours before the rightful person takes it. Are we deranged? No. I don’t think any of us think twice. This is how we also act when we are called upon to perform our services. Our fire station is our home. We rely on the chief of the department and the town to make sure opening are filled with not only qualified candidates, but also more importantly candidates that “will fit it.” Meaning will we get along with them. Is this person a team member?

Like I said I understand that you are mad. Just be patient and move on if you must.
    Best of luck.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

To the person that started this thread, you wouldn't happen to be the guy who is also suing the City of Norwalk Fire Dept. are you?

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, I will go ahead and state the obvious. This issue is about race. If this issue had nothing to do with Race, the IABPFF and the Firebirds would not have been mentioned.

This is another example of "Gimme something because I am a minority, no matter what I did in my past." Screw that, felony convictions? Sorry, no job.

And for the guy who thinks not having five tickets in 11 years is bad....I have been driving for 13 years and guess how many tickets I have .....ZERO! five tickets in 11 years is pretty bad consdering the amount of warnings given out and sparse speed enforcement. Don't try to sue for something you don't deserve because you are a S--tbag. It's not society's fault that you made bad decisions.

Sorry Mr. King, but 7-11 is hiring, I hear they don't do background checks.
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

the 4-1-4

Originally posted by KyleWickman

When fire departments do their hiring they are looking for the best of the best. Firefighters are held to the utmost trust in a community. I can’t remember the last time I locked my locker. I have gone through shifts with the door wide open.

I really do wish that fire departments were looking for the best of the best. My first hand experience is quite the opposite. Cities spend all of their time trying to be politically correct, they have quota system's in place etc.. They spend their time, and money simply trying match the percentage that minorities make up in departments, with the actual city make up. They alter hiring practice's in order to do so, in other words they lower standards to meet this objective. The end result is you get nothing close to the best. You get losers, slugs, criminals and those who just don't care. They put us as firefighters at risk, as well as the public. In short, you get a bunch of tax robbers who could care less about anything or anyone, that is, except for themselves.
    Some of our engine house's you can't keep your locker doors open, if you do, your fellow "brothers" will take from you. The last thing I want to have to do is worry about my co-workers rifling through my personal items. The last thing I want to do is work with a convicted felon.
    The last thing any civillian should want, is to have a convicted felon in their home during their time of crisis. The last thing we need as firefighters/ems, is civillians to be worried about us stealing from them, in their time of crisis.
    You do not have a right to be a firefighter, it is a priveledge. It is no violation of any person's civil rights to prevent convicted felons from being employed as a firefighter. Speeding tickets, on a regular basis, along with multiple drunk driving offenses are in the same bracket, as well. They are character indicator's. I didn't say one, or even two such offense's. I used the term multiple.
    We are put in precarious situations quite often, we need the public trust and we need integrity on our part. It put's our ability to function in peril if either of those are missing.
    Keep convicted felons off the job.
    Keep altered hiring practice's out as well. You really do get what you pay for.
    Last edited by jasper45; 07-30-2005 at 01:43 PM.

Forum Member

petjack77,

Save your money on lawyer fees and drop this. Like you really had a chance to get a job when you were ranked 206th on the list. Why dont you get back in the saddle and try again, and take this time to study a bit more. Sounds to me like you are trying to get something (a job) for nothing (not scoring high enough).
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Forum Member

And for the guy who thinks not having five tickets in 11 years is bad....I have been driving for 13 years and guess how many tickets I have .....ZERO! five tickets in 11 years is pretty bad consdering the amount of warnings given out and sparse speed enforcement. Don't try to sue for something you don't deserve because you are a S--tbag.
    TillerMan25

So if you get one ticket in the next 20 years is it okay to call you a shi#bag?

I mean I agree that the dregs that pop up should not be allowed to join the fire department. In addition you must have a low opinion of our military - if you think a traffic ticket makes a person bad then you are urinating on a lot of brother firefighters by your statement.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Originally posted by Station2Capt
    petjack77,

Save your money on lawyer fees and drop this. Like you really had a chance to get a job when you were ranked 206th on the list. Why dont you get back in the saddle and try again, and take this time to study a bit more. Sounds to me like you are trying to get something (a job) for nothing (not scoring high enough).
    I have to disagree. The very fact that the City of Bridgeport is even considering hiring a convicted felon is a slap in the face for all of those people who took the exam in hopes of getting a job as a firefighter. Petjack77 may be low on the list, but the fact of the matter is the City Of Bridgeport is knuckling under to two minority groups because...

a: the candidate who wished to get appointed happens to be a member of the same racial group as they are.

b: The candidate has a criminal record... he also happens to be of African American descent.

Do you really think that Donald Day, a retired city fire captain and director of the Northeast Region of the International Association of Black Professional Fire Fighters, and Ron Mackey, president of the Firebirds Society, an organization of black city firefighters have the best interests of the City in mind?

If you do, I have oceanfront property in Bridge Canyon, Arizona for sale...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Call me what you want, I try to follow the laws of the road and not speed. The most I have ever been cited for was a non-working taglight. 5 tickets is alot, I don't care how many years it has accumulated.

Do you want some maniac who has five speeding tickets chauffering you around in a 10-ton Piece of Fire Apparatus?????

Forum Member

The most I have ever been cited for was a non-working taglight.
    Wow - but you have been cited - you should resign for the good of the department.

Do you want some maniac who has five speeding tickets chauffering you around in a 10-ton Piece of Fire Apparatus?
    No! In fact I don't want a maniac with NO tickets driving around - but I see your point.

I am just trying to point out that there is a huge difference between a felony and a traffic ticket - now-a lot of traffic tickets indicate a problem. But a single ticket???

BTW - I have been a conservative since 1980.

Do you really think that Donald Day, a retired city fire captain and director of the Northeast Region of the International Association of Black Professional Fire Fighters, and Ron Mackey, president of the Firebirds Society, an organization of black city firefighters have the best interests of the City in mind?
    First the fact that the IABPF exists at all is proof enough of the double standards they expect. They exist simply to cause problems.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber

a Tag light doesn't go on your driving record (unless you don't fix it in 30 days)

I do agree that organizations such as the IABPFF and the Vulcan Society, and the Firebirds and yadda, yadda, yadda do harm to agencies. Alot of black firefighters say "Well, you got the Emerald Society!" And I am thinking to myself, "you will never see a member of the Emerald Society picketing to get a White Felon a job with a Fire Department!" The ES is a social organization centered around FD Tradition and Beer....

Forum Member

a Tag light doesn't go on your driving record (unless you don't fix it in 30 days)
    So if it doesn't go on your record-then it's okay.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Capt Gonz,

Maybe I should have been a bit more clear in my post. Yes I do think the City is Wrong in changing the rules to get this guy on the list. The main point I wanted to get accross is that the orginal poster is 207th on the current list. The news paper story he attached said the city does not have the funds to hire firefighters in this current budget. Now I dont know how many firefighters this City hires in a typical year but I bet it is not over 200. If anyone should file a suit it is the ones who stand a real chance of getting hired or not hired because of this applicants new placement(#16) on the list according to the report. If this were me I would just move on and try and get a job with a City that showes more concern toward there employees and the people they hire.

As far as the discussion of hiring a person who is convicted felon. I will have to go with the minority of the group here. If the person has made a total life change and would truly make a good employee I dont see a problem with it. Each state has different requirements that deal with this. I know here in Texas if you have a conviction and you wish to become a firefighter you have to appeal to the fire commission board and present, in person, your case as to why they should grant you your state cert. I have no idea how many here in Texas go through this process but I know for sure that we have one guy on my department that made a stupid mistake when he was about 18 and 12 years later when he was 30 he wanted to become a firefighter. He had a felony on his record and had to appeal to the comission. He showed them all the good things he has done sence his conviction and they granted him a state cert. He has become a dang good firefighter and I am glad to have him on the job next to me. My city does not have the "No felons allowed" policy so he was able to at least apply for the job.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Forum Member

Originally posted by JackTee09
    First the fact that the IABPF exists at all is proof enough of the double standards they expect. They exist simply to cause problems.
    The fact that the IABPF exists at all is proof that racism is alive and well!
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

Can you imagine the uproar if there was an International Association of White Anything?

MembersZone Subscriber

How to start, most convicted fellons should not be firefighters. They should be given the right to appeal but there should be limits in place. Sex offenders, violent crimes and the like should be automatically disqualified. I've never been convicted of a crime but I still have trouble because of being arrested for fighting with my brother as a teenager and spending a few hours in a holding cell. Charges were never filed and I never went before a judge. The records are sealed to most but city and state can still see that I was arrested just not for what. Before I could even start my Fire Standards or EMT classes, I had to show them the records and write a several page account of what happened, my side of the story and why I should still be allowed to attended the courses. And during my interview to attend it was brought up. So even now as a adult im still having to deal with the consequences of my action as a teenager. That is life, for all actions theres a reaction. And I'm sure it will keep comming back to haunt me for some time. The only thing I can try to do is have my record exsponged. My point is people need to own up to what they've done wrong, and deal with the consequences instead of making excuses.

former FH.com member

Originally posted by Station2Capt
    My city does not have the "No felons allowed" policy so he was able to at least apply for the job.
    Just curious Cap, but how did this guy get around the fact that TDH doesn't grant certification to felons? Is he allowed to work without holding the required medical cert.?

Station2Capt

petjack77,

Save your money on lawyer fees and drop this. Like you really had a chance to get a job when you were ranked 206th on the list.

Yes I am rank 206th on the list StationCapt. But City of Bridgeport Civil Service Commissions changes every body scores. I went from top 15 on raw oral scores with 65 but when Civil Service Commissions add the City residents points I went down to rank of 206th.I am City resident there is no reason in hell I should drop that far. Residents’ points help the residents not hurt them. 75 to 100 Minority Candidates went from 25 to 30 on there raw oral scores to rank of 1 to 100 the hiring list with scores of 100, 90, 80.

City of Bridgeport Civil Service Commissions Rule XV – RESDENT PREFERENCE

An individual domiciled in the City of Bridgeport who receives a passing mark on an open competitive examination shall have 10 % added to their passing grade in determining his or her order or rank on the eligibility list.

The highest score on the raw oral was 70 lowest was 15

Scores from only the oral component will be used to rank order applicants for selection.

Felons were banned from taking the test.

Again

Right now there is a Criminal Investigation being conduct by Federal Bureau of Investigation Field Office. If you feel upset about them changing your scores they are waiting hear from you. Call them at 203-333-3512 or just stop by there field offices 1000 Lafayette Blvd Suite 306 Bridgeport CT 06604

Forum Member

Just wanted to comment on the point about the minority factor here. I agree that everyone should be given a chance at anything, provided it isnt TOO serious. But the minority thing in this country is WAY out of hand. There human beings like myself and you guys, but when a person is chosen JUST because of there ethnicity- THEN YOU KNOW IT'S ****ED UP. I took the Boston Exam in 2004 and scored a 97. After the exam they were hiring people from the prior exam(2002) for the next two recruit classes. When the third class came around, they hired some people from my exam, but it so happened that I was not called and two people were. The guys that were called happened to be of the minority group and scored LOWER than myself and MANY of the guys in my exam. I am not so much upset at the fact that I wasnt called just that the lack of judgement used in deciding who was. Common sense says that if one scores a 97, 98, 98 ,99, 100 VS. 92's: Than the others are more than likely equally qualified, if not more. I think a total injustice was done to those who scored high on the exam. That would be the reason why Boston does not have any more Affirmitive Action. Best Scores taken! The way it should be. There are also somethings about the hiring process I dont agree with, but choose to live with.

So finaly the day has come, for Boston, that just because you are of a differant race- You will not be given a free ride.

Forum Member

SAFD46Truck,

Just curious Cap, but how did this guy get around the fact that TDH doesn't grant certification to felons? Is he allowed to work without holding the required medical cert.?

You got me thinking about this, and I looked into it. The guy was convicted on a felony but somehow recieved defered adjudication. So, after so long it is totaly off his record. So when he went through the hiring process when the background was ran it did not show up. He totaly disclosed everything that happened to the review board, and Chief's. Thanks for cathcing me on this.

PetJack77

Scores from only the oral component will be used to rank order applicants for selection.
    I am confused(I get that way easy) am I understanding that the rank order is determined by the oral interview. Sounds like a pretty confusing way to total the scores. We are not civil service so I do not know all the rules that must be followed. If infact you did drop that much (did not read that in orginal post) then yes you may have a grip. Also is the investigation looking into the fact that the scores may have been changed improperly or the fact that a felon got through the system or both.

Thread Information