Forum Member

Thumbs up bptfireslayer

Hats off to ya.....

Forum Member

Just finished hangin' out on the apparatus floor of Engine 6 - Central Avenue (12:20 am) with a white chief's aide and lieutenant, and a puerto rican firefighter. We talked and laughed our sides off.
    That is not something to be lauded for or receive congratulations. That is what the brotherhood is for - to see your brother firefighters as brothers.

Like I stated earlier in my post - the mutt who first posted was pretty much taken out by many of us because he is a mutt.

People will likely not comment on the guy you mentioned who was the center of whatever controversy erupted. Some won't say anything because it involves race while others just don't care. As for me - no one deserves anything because of their race or gender. That time has come and gone. If you can pass the tests, do the job, and are willing to do the job - have at it. A fair shake-yeah. Special treatment-no.

My best to you and the brothers of Bridgeport
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Darrien,

I am one of your brothers in Bridgeport, I appreciate your candid commenst. Again many people in here loose sight of the fact that we all have the right to offer and explain our particular view points, we are not saying that anybody else needs to agree, I respect and like communicating with people who are free thinkers, thank you brother.

I came on in the first class almost 9 years ago and have had the opportunity to work with some fine people on our great job. I have taken full advantage of the opportunity given to me, regardless of the issues Bridgeport endures.

I have also had the opportunity to serve our union on the E-Board for over 6 years and have done my very best to protect the rights of all members. I have had to endure very personal and hateful attacks by members of our department, because as you mention, people tend to generalize rather than take a look under the covers.

I have my opinions regarding the character people need to have to be given the honor to be a firefighter, in the end, my opinions do not matter, I am not the guy who is given the task of judging other peoples character. I will say that when certain acts are described as "youthful indiscretions" I must laugh, as I feel that ounce you reach the age of 18 you clearly understand the difference between right and wrong, actually I strongly feel that you know the difference at a much earlier age, just giving the benefit of the doubt.

I love this job and always will, I love the challenges, the excitement, the professionalism and yes the relationships I have forged and continue to foster.
    maybe someday Bridgeport will get it right, but until then I will continue to perform my duties as I have, with total professionalism and integrity. I have not ever been on the same shift as you Darrien, but I have always heard nothing but great things about you, you have always been courteous to me and I for one very much appreciate that.

I do not hide behind a screen name either, actually was the first person to use his real name on "Signal 29". Thank you for your comments, thank you for having an open mind and thank you for being the professional that you are. Stay safe brother.

Michael Donovan
    AKA-SKIP or SKippy
    Engine 6-A
    Bridgeport Fire

Default what about this????

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Do you want a murderer, rapist or someone convicted as a robber being hired by your department? Would you feel safe with them in your fire house and would you sleep well at night at the house? What if this person had killed a firefighter or police officer, would you want them on the job?

We do not hire anyone that has been convicted as a felon. Period!

Well what about me. I havent been convicted yet, but I will for a felony possession of concertrated cannibis. I had appointments set for me to get a medical marijuana card, but I got pulled over 6 days before and was arrested. 5 days later I was prescribed it for a year 6. I got a letter from the The District attorney saying that im not being charged. I thought I was good to go untill I got the letter saying that they reopened my case. Now a medical patient, before being charged with a feloney, but will be convicted most likely because I wasn't prescribed when I was arrested. I cant be hiried as a firefighter? What do you think?

Default Felons...

If felons want to fight fires I don't see any harm in them bettering their lives by helping to save others. More companies need to open doors for felons. They are constantly being treated worse than illegal immigrants when they are United States citizens. They were born on our soil and if they can be molded into moral, law abiding ,upstanding citizens then we should not turn our back on our own people. People constantly say find a second chance somewhere else, corporate, government and most small businesses. Felons need to survive in this world. And once we realize this and provide forgiveness the world can reduce it's crime rate and be a lot better place.
    I understand it is the instinct of the United States to pick a particular class of people and discriminate and make them sit at the back of the bus.
    we need to let go of these type of beliefs and realize that somebodies past ethical choices isn't an excuse for us to make ethical mistakes when it comes to felons. Felons have children" felons have family and they need to eat too.

Default Felons...

________________________ban The Box!!!_________________________
    ___________________________felons_________________ _____________
    ___________________deserve A Fighting Chance____________________
    __________________________________________________ ______________

Thread Information