Default The Floodgate have open City of Bridgeport to hire Felons as Firefighters

Att- All City of Bridgeport Firefighter Candidates on list #2185

My name is RC Brown I am rank 207 on the hiring list for city of Bridgeport Fire Department hiring. I am starting a new lawsuit against City of Bridgeport Civil Service Commission and City of Bridgeport Fire Department for the following reason .Let the Floodgate of Lawsuits begin in the City of Bridgeport The (Civil Service Commission) on Tuesday voted unanimously keep Earl King Jr., sentenced to federal prison in 2001 for bagging crack cocaine for the Russell and Adrian Peeler drug gang, on the city's firefighter hiring list. Even after the Notice for the hiring clearly states (No Candidate will be considered for appointment that has been convicted of a felony, or is of bad moral character) and (Candidates must pass the background investigation conducted by the Bridgeport Police Department)
    This will now open the Floodgate of all 600 Candidates sitting on the oral list and even Candidates who failed the written exam to file lawsuits against City of Bridgeport. The City of Bridgeport will now have to hire all 600 Candidates sitting on the oral list .There wontí be Civil Service exam for a least 50 years from now. So if you want be a City of Bridgeport Firefighter your best bet is to join the new lawsuit. Please see below for important facts about City of Bridgeport hiring.

A.50 To 75 Minority Candidates went from bottom of raw oral scores with scores from 25 to 39 to top of hiring list when resident points were add with scores of 80 to 100.

B .City of Bridgeport Civil Service Commission changed the oral scores of all Candidates who took oral test which is against the law. The oral scores you received in the mail from City of Bridgeport Civil Service Commission are wrong. Therefore the top 150 candidates on hiring list should not be there. I have all the proof they change the scores.

C. By law Civil Service Commission must follow the Notice issued by the city. They canít
    Change rules in middle of the hiring process. Well they did.

D. Right now there is a Criminal Investigation being conduct by Federal Bureau of Investigation Field Office. If you feel upset about them changing your scores they are waiting hear from you. Call them at 203-333-3512 or just stop by there field offices 1000 Lafayette Blvd Suite 306 Bridgeport CT 06604.

E. All of the rumors about Civil Service Commission throwing the test out is very false and not true. The Civil Service Commission only can throw test after two years after first hire per City charter plus it would happen by now. They now have to hire everybody that file a lawsuit.

If you want to get hired by City of Bridgeport Fire Department just email now. I have a lawyer that is taking the lawsuit on. We are looking for 50 to 100 Candidates or even 300 to 600 candidates would be fine too. Letís get the ball rolling. Please email you name rank on the list and contact phone number. You will get hired

RC Brown
    petjack77@yahoo.com

Drug felon staying on hiring list
    No cash for firefighters

AARON LEO aleo@ctpost.com

BRIDGEPORT ó Earl King Jr., sentenced to federal prison in 2001 for bagging crack cocaine for the Russell and Adrian Peeler drug gang, will remain on the city's firefighter hiring list.
    The Civil Service Commission on Tuesday voted unanimously to uphold its earlier decision to place King, a convicted felon, on the list. He is ranked 16th on the list to hire entry-level firefighters. Under the current city budget, however, there is no money to hire new firefighters.
    The two-year-old list will remain on the books until two years after the date of the first hire. Meanwhile, the list is being challenged in federal court.
    "We affirm King's being on the list as a firefighter [candidate] in Bridgeport," said commission member Glen Mudre. The commission's decision came after several hours of discussion and a short closed-door session.
    After the announcement, King's supporters shook hands and hugged each other.
    Susan Wallace, King's lawyer, praised the commission.
    "I think they made a just decision," she said.
    The approval followed pleas from Donald Day, a retired city fire captain and director of the Northeast Region of the International Association of Black Professional Fire Fighters, and Ron Mackey, president of the Firebirds Society, an organization of black city firefighters.
    Supporters called King's involvement with the Peeler gang a youthful indiscretion. Since his release, he has earned a college degree and held two city jobs, one working with children.
    Opponents of the commission's decision included the city's Board of Fire Commissioners, provisional Fire Chief Brian Rooney and Personnel Director Ralph Jacobs.
    Rooney declined to comment after the meeting.
    During the public portion of the discussion, Jacobs

MembersZone Subscriber

Default fire fighting felons

There is a minimum restrict. prison about 40 miles from where I live, and they run a fire team out of the prison. They respond to assist County and State departments needing assistance, but they have to return to quarters by dark.

As far as the felon part goes, prison is "supposed to rehabilitate people" and I am willing to give most people the benefit of the doubt, until they prove me wrong.

I have worked with this group of firefighters closely several times over the past few years, and it has been a wonderful experience. They will stay on the line until you have to drag them off. You will not hear them complain about little things, other than having to go home. The last group I worked with, 3 of the 5 were ex- military...recently...just were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

All I am saying is give a felon a fair shake before you judge him....people can change.

Forum Member

Question

Do you want a murderer, rapist or someone convicted as a robber being hired by your department? Would you feel safe with them in your fire house and would you sleep well at night at the house? What if this person had killed a firefighter or police officer, would you want them on the job?

We do not hire anyone that has been convicted as a felon. Period!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

I think that this goes both ways. I believe that people deserve a second chance. At least for some of the people in prison, when they get out, they really do want to change and improve their lives. However, do I think they should go straight onto a rig and fight fires/ No. I think that they should be on a kind of probie-like status. Assign them to the Chief, or some other method of making sure they are keeping honest. And before I get yelled at for suggesting that the guy be baby-sitted, let me remind you of one thingg: They just got out of prison. They are former criminals. Obviously, at some point in their lives, trust-worthiness was not a high priority for them. However, as I said, lets give them at least the benefit of the doubt. Just my two cents.
    Isiah 43: When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    9-11-01. We Will Never Forget You.

MembersZone Subscriber

I can agree to give someone a second chance...I'm sure everyone has made a bad decision at some point in their life...Would I want to work with a convicted felon...HELL NO!!!....do I agree with hiring convicted felons as firefighters HELL NO!!!...they need to go get there second chance somewhere else besides the fire service...they made the decision and thats a price they should pay....If you let one get hired that has been convicted of theft...than you'll eventually have some A** trying to get a job that was convicted for Arson....you can't say no to him at that point....to think anyone would hire a felon in the fire service is disturbing...

the 4-1-4

Convicted felons have no business or place in an environment such as the fire service, period.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

Convicted felons have no place in the fire service...imagine them going on an EMS call/assist, then knowing the pt. will be in the hospital for a few hours/days, or even if not transported they get a look at the house set up they may pass it on to former associates, the risk is NOT worth the gain!!!!!
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

Forum Member

Hey Guys:

I agree with what has already been stated. The one thing I would point out is that many fire departments currently have former felons on the job - they have been doing the job for many years - some have retired. In my opinion you would probably be shocked to find out how many people on the job are prior felons.

That being said - the chances of an arsonist, murderer, or sex offender being placed in a position of trust is a little mindblowing. However, as stated there are examples where it has worked.

Not to be contrary-just putting it out.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber

Where I'm from, shooting your neighbor's cat that's digging through your garbage is a felony (classIV).

After hearing some of the stories of my co-workers from their younger days, I ALREADY work with felons. They just didn't get CAUGHT.

MembersZone Subscriber

The only thing keeping me from robbing that bank is that I might get caught and it will ruin my chances of becoming a firefighter just joking

Forum Member

Originally posted by Tiredoldman
    I ALREADY work with felons. They just didn't get CAUGHT.
    Thats the funny thing..I came across this and was reading... As some you spineless, cold hearted people sit back and think that everyone who ISNT in jail, is a saint.. THINK AGAIN... A good majority of the people you work are felons.. Theres just a fine line between FELON and CONVICTED FELONS.. and it falls like this, the convicted felons are the ones who got caught and relized there actions after the fact.

How many of you drank when you were younger? ----- May not be a felony, but its breaking the law.

And Im sure it goes on and on... just think about it...

And this is coming from a 21 year old FireFighter that has been in the Emergency services for about 4.5 years, who had a minor juvi record..

And so far I have a list of Certs that proves I have moved on from that bull****...

You know what they say.. Those who live in glass houses, shouldnt throw stones...

MembersZone Subscriber

This issue actually has nothing to do with giving people a second chance or protecting your citizens from felons. It has to do with following the law.

If the law says (as it does in NJ) no felons can hold the job, then no felons should hold the job. If it said no redheads can hold the job, well then that is the law.

If you don't like the law, change it. Otherwise, follow it. Black and white issue.

Forum Member

This issue actually has nothing to do with giving people a second chance or protecting your citizens from felons. It has to do with following the law.
    Point noted.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

former FH.com member

Originally posted by Rescuepimp
    you spineless, cold hearted people
    What gives you the right to call the other posters these names? I think people should be given a second chance, I just don't think the Fire Service is the place for that to happen. We have too much to lose by taking that gamble. Besides, the entrance exams are crammed full of smart men and women with experience, education and clean backgrounds. Why should they be punished because someone else screwed up and wants to start over? There are consequences for your actions, sometimes you just have to live with them.

Forum Member

Perhaps what should occur next is for municipal departments to run background checks on all current employees to see if there are people who are on the job who have screwed up in the past. If so, terminate them.
    Wouldn't that be fair? No - I don't think it would be fair. However, and you can say it will never happen, but many years ago people said "That would never happen" and it has - so look out baby - if you been bad - so sad.

I have to agree with George and SAFD46Truck.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

For our department there is an extensive background check. Driving records, criminal records and even civil court records are searched. All of this is done for those who pass the initial exam. This is then followed by the good old polygraph exam to see if you lied on your application about anything. Some may ask why civil matters? It is protection against hire-injury-sue-settlement against the governmet (guess they got burned in the past.)

As for Rescuepimp's certifications showing he has a "list of certs that show he is no..." means little. There are guys on the job in every department that have every cert in the world but are poor firefighters. I have never seen a "cert" put out a fire.

Forum Member

Thats the funny thing..I came across this and was reading... As some you spineless, cold hearted people sit back and think that everyone who ISNT in jail, is a saint.. THINK AGAIN... A good majority of the people you work are felons.. Theres just a fine line between FELON and CONVICTED FELONS.. and it falls like this, the convicted felons are the ones who got caught and relized there actions after the fact.

How many of you drank when you were younger? ----- May not be a felony, but its breaking the law.

And this is coming from a 21 year old FireFighter that has been in the Emergency services for about 4.5 years, who had a minor juvi record..

And so far I have a list of Certs that proves I have moved on from that bull****...

You know what they say.. Those who live in glass houses, shouldnt throw stones...
    Yup.. I am one of cold hearted bastards... and I have the spine to stand up for what I beleive is right.

When someone commits a felony, they know damn well that they are committing it. your line of "realizing their actions after the fact" is pure, unadulterated bull****! I can see it now "But Your Honor, I didn't know that selling crack cocaine was against the law! I didn't know that breaking and entering was against the law! I didn't know that taking part in a drive by shooting was against the law....

How many other excuses are you going to back up for these scumbags?

Certifications don't mean squat. I know a "wannabe fire chief" that has certs up the wazoo, but he couldn't lead a troop of boy scouts out of a playground. he has been on countless interviews and hasn't made the cut yet...think he has a clue?

You had a juvie record. Most juvenile records are sealed. If you got on, you had your sceond chance. Don't blow it...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

You got some set on you, pal. You're 21 years old? WOW! A veritable veteran! With a list of certs no less. Wow! Did you know that those felons all of certifications, too? IT'S CALLED A CERTIFIED JUDGEMENT OF CONVICTION!

No one on here advocated shutting people down for juvenile criminal history. Nobody on here advocated not allowing people with misdemenaors or diversion program histories. But when you are convicted of a felony, until that felony is expunged from your record, you forfeit your right to alot of things--including holding a position of public trust. Too bad. No one commits a felony unknowkingly. If you did it, accept responsibility for it and the consequences that followed.

If you don't like it, change the law.

Now you owe a bunch of people on here an apology, Junior.

Forum Member

What was that thread called....certificate mania?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Enough of me playing devils advocate!

Once again Gonzo and George hit the nail on the head.

BONES:

What was that thread called....certificate mania?
    Yep - and this is what I mean!
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

until that felony is expunged from your record, you forfeit your right to alot of things--including holding a position of public trust. Too bad.
    You know what, I can admit when I was and am wrong. And this may have been a case in which I over reacted taking a little personal.. So with that said I would just like to point out something, when I posted I was not speaking for ALL felonies/misdormienors. I would never think of trying to put a twice convicted arsonist in the house. Or a convicted sex offender in the fire prevention unit, workinmg with kids or the house at all. I also wasnt speaking of a three, four, five, six convicted offender. Also when I mentioned my certs, I wasnt speaking of myself as the most educated person, because I know that CERTS dont compare to nozzle knowledge. I was just using that as an example, that I have since moved on and attained these in my thirst for knowledge. That already said, I would just like to point out something that has already been said a few times. What about the criminals in your own house? What if the chief came in and ran CORIs on all the department and the two top guys got fired because of the results? But they were minor infractions, but still a violation. Also,just because a charge is expunged - that doesn't mean that they are an upstanding citizen and there mind-set is changed. A person who has been convicted of a crime can change there mindset BEFORE the 7-15 yr Expunge limit.

Hence the word Re - ha - bil - i- tate

So for all those that I did go off on, and those that were offended by my post... My apologies are extended to you..

MembersZone Subscriber

You know what, I can admit when I was and am wrong. And this may have been a case in which I over reacted taking a little personal.. So with that said I would just like to point out something, when I posted I was not speaking for ALL felonies/misdormienors. I would never think of trying to put a twice convicted arsonist in the house. Or a convicted sex offender in the fire prevention unit, workinmg with kids or the house at all. I also wasnt speaking of a three, four, five, six convicted offender. Also when I mentioned my certs, I wasnt speaking of myself as the most educated person, because I know that CERTS dont compare to nozzle knowledge. I was just using that as an example, that I have since moved on and attained these in my thirst for knowledge. That already said, I would just like to point out something that has already been said a few times. What about the criminals in your own house? What if the chief came in and ran CORIs on all the department and the two top guys got fired because of the results? But they were minor infractions, but still a violation. Also,just because a charge is expunged - that doesn't mean that they are an upstanding citizen and there mind-set is changed. A person who has been convicted of a crime can change there mindset BEFORE the 7-15 yr Expunge limit.

Hence the word Re - ha - bil - i- tate

So for all those that I did go off on, and those that were offended by my post... My apologies are extended to you..
    and what exactly would a "minor" felony be?

As I said, if you want to be a FF, DON'T COMMIT A FELONY! Nobody ever committed a felony w/o knowing it.

Forum Member

I have a felony arrest that was ended with a misdemeanor conviction for the crime of defending myself with a shotgun after my roommates,man and woman,attacked me with a claw hammer and fists.
    I have no problem with working alongside people who have done their time.If they really have changed their ways,then I'll just treat them like any other guy in the barroom.
    If they are whining about how they don't get a fair shake while continuing the behavior and activities that got them arrested last time,then I won't associate with them at work or away.

However,if the policy is that felony conviction is a barrier for hiring,there is a reason.Firefighters are supposed to be of high moral character.When we enter someone's home,we are there to put out a fire or keep the residents from dying until they can get to a hospital.We are not there to case the joint for a future visit or to help ourselves to their belongings.

Forum Member

Exclamation

In the Commonwealth of Virginia, you can not get an EMS license to do squat, if you have ever been convicted of a felony. Therefore, people who have been convicted of felonies are not hired for any position in the fire service.

If you have a misdemeanor conviction, you may not get a job or even take a test, depending what it was for. Your application usually will get thrown out. We really do not want you if you have been in trouble with the law; have a bad driving record or employment record. There are too many folks out there that are clean.

There are other things in life that these folks can apply for other than Firefighter, Police Officer or in the EMS field!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I think that the issue is pretty much set - if you have lost the public trust-as in a felony - it is very difficult to gain that trust back. Not impossible but difficult.

CaptOldTimer:
    HS

Within the last year and a half - Two people left New Jersey, went to Virginia and are now members of two departments in Virginia, one of which is a major department. Both are firefighters - both have a felony record.

That is why I posted the statement earlier about not knowing who is working with you.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Thread Information