Forum Member

Angry Let my baby die, just dont break my new cars window!

STAMFORD -- A Stamford woman was arrested yesterday after she accidentally locked her 23-month-old son in her steaming hot Audi, then refused to let emergency workers break the window to free him.

Susan Guita Silverstein, 42, of 124 Fieldstone Road, was charged with reckless endangerment and risk of injury to a minor.

Her son, who police said was "nonresponsive" when he was removed, spent more than 20 minutes in the car before the window was smashed open.

"As soon as they told me the air conditioning was not on, that's when I told them to break the window," said Capt. Susan Bretthauer, who ordered the command over the radio.

The baby was taken to Stamford Hospital "for precautionary measures," Bretthauer said. He was treated and released, a nursing supervisor said last night.

A call to the family for comment was not returned last night.

Silverstein went to the HomeGoods store on High Ridge Road to shop and inadvertently locked her keys in the car with the child in the back seat, Sgt. Robert Shawinsky said.

Silverstein called 911 at 1:03 p.m. and the dispatcher advised her to break the window because it was so hot, Shawinsky said. Silverstein refused and requested assistance, he said.

Police and firefighters arrived to find the toddler locked in the back seat of her silver Audi A4, which was parked near the side of the building.

Silverstein asked firefighters not to break the window of the Audi, so they tried to use a lock kit, but it didn't work, Shawinsky said.

Silverstein continued telling firefighters she did not want them to break the window, according to police reports. She then told them to stop and that she would go home to get a spare set of keys, police said.

Silverstein flagged down a friend in the parking lot and left the child with the fire department to go home to get the keys, police said. It is unclear whether she called the friend to help her. The distance between HomeGoods at 29 High Ridge Road and Silverstein's home on Fieldstone Road is about 1.5 miles, a six-minute trip or 12 minutes round-trip. While Silverstein was gone, Bretthauer said she learned that the child had been in the car more than 15 minutes, so she ordered emergency workers to break the window. Firefighters broke open the front driver's-side window and removed the boy.

"The child was, at first, nonresponsive, then became responsive," said Bretthauer, who arrived as they were breaking the window.

Police said the boy was placed in the back of an air-conditioned police cruiser for a short time before an ambulance took him to the hospital.

When she returned to the parking lot with the keys, Silverstein was handcuffed and placed in the back of a police cruiser.

She was released on $2,500 bond last night for an Aug. 4 appearance in state Superior Court in Stamford.

According to the Western Connecticut State University Weather Center, the temperature reached a high of 88 degrees yesterday afternoon.

Temperatures rise rapidly in a closed vehicle, according to research done at San Francisco State University. In the first 10 minutes, the temperature rises 19 degrees higher than the outside temperature. It rises another 10 degrees in the next 10 minutes and another 5 degrees in the third 10-minute period.

When body temperature reaches 104 degrees, heat stroke starts, with rapid breathing, excessive sweating and unconsciousness, according to the university. Organs start to fail when body temperature reaches 107 degrees.

The bodies of small children heat up three to five times faster than the bodies of adults. While it might take an adult hours to have heat stroke, a child can suffer heat stroke in 20 to 30 minutes.

http://www.masscops.com/phpBB2/viewt...?p=70083#70083
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Silverstein asked firefighters not to break the window of the Audi, so they tried to use a lock kit, but it didn't work, Shawinsky said.

Silverstein continued telling firefighters she did not want them to break the window, according to police reports. She then told them to stop and that she would go home to get a spare set of keys, police said.

I know that the glass would have been broken right away. As for using a lock kit, that is a Halligan pike end and a flat head axe, isn't it?

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

OldTimer:

We call our Halligan bar, and its complimentary flat head axe and rabbit tool, our 'master key set'.
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer

I know that the glass would have been broken right away. As for using a lock kit, that is a Halligan pike end and a flat head axe, isn't it?

I always thought it was an air chisel around the locking mechanism?

MembersZone Subscriber

What is it with these people? That lady should have her child sent to protective services (for the childs safety), and the mother ordered never to have more children. She obviously is not up to the challenge. (Side note: Unless I am much mistaken, almost any other mother I have ever met would engage in hand to hand combat with Satan himself for the sake of their children. They're kind of fanatical like that. ) Anyway, just my thought.
    Isiah 43: When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    9-11-01. We Will Never Forget You.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Just break out the window. She was going to be arrested for leaving the child in a hot car.

Halligan tool and lock makes a good match!

The cops around here carry the slim jims. Sometimes they don't work well with the newer cars.
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Forum Member

I would have broken the window. The childs life is in danger. That is the bottom line.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

The cops around here carry the slim jims. Sometimes they don't work well with the newer cars.
    Yeah, the first year I had my car I locked my keys in it like 5 times. The first time I did I flagged down a cop and asked for help but he told me that their department wasn't allowed to carry slim-jims or try to open locked cars anymore because people actually SUED if they broke something.

I couldn't believe my ears.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

MembersZone Subscriber

thats when its time to break the window and remove the roof just for good measure. some good extrication practice.........

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe all of the 'Lock Kits' noted here would have been very effective. I always liked the spring loaded center punch myself. Quick, convenient, pocket sized.

This story is just unbelievable...Most moms would have broken the window out. If her car nmeans more to her than her kid, she didn't need to have that child, and never needs to have any more. I hope she never gets custoidy of the little guy returned to her...he deserves better.
    Last edited by britfan1; 07-29-2005 at 05:53 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

As my teenaged son would probably say, "That Silverstein woman is really messed up!" She certainly isn't the norm. In fact, one of my auxiliary buddies recently ran into a woman who begged him to break the window of the car to get her toddler out. The day wasn't hot, and the kid hadn't been in the car very long and wasn't in distress, so my friend convinced her to wait a minute. This guy is amazing with lockouts, and he had the door open almost immediately. Our department used to use the Slim Jim quite a bit, but it can be dangerous if the car has side airbags, so we usually use wedges and the Big Easy tool and go in between the door frame and the top of the car. Some of the guys also have made their own tools which work well. One car we couldn't get into at all was a really expensive BMW sports car, not sure which series, but it was higher than a '3' or '5' series. The owner had to leave the car in a parking lot for two days until BMW sent a replacement key. About 15 minutes later, we had another lockout for a woman with a beater. We got in immediately, which just goes to show that there are times it's better to have a beater than a Beamer!

MembersZone Subscriber

The Judge should sentence that lady to 30 minutes locked in a car on a 90 degree day. Let her know how it feels. I bet she would think twice about not wanting to have her window broken after that.
    This is my opinion and in no way represtents the opinion of my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

It just amazes me how some people have their priorities all screwed up. I would have taken the window even if I had to pay for the damn thing myself!

God bless and pull the ceiling as you go.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not sure how much it costs, but I used to work with CT Motor Club (aka AAA) and we used a Sully Kit. Could get into darn near any car there was, new or old. Even came with a book explaining each models lockout procedure. As I posted above though, there is no excuse for this woman. None at all.
    you will not be burned;

Forum Member

I had a similar situation with a woman who had her infant locked in a Mercedes Benz E class wagon. She called us after she called her husband, who couldn't leave his work in Boston, Mercedes Roadside Assistance (the car was out of warranty and the dealership at least 45 minutes away) and a locksmith, who gave her an hour estimated time of arrival. The weather wasn't hot... it was just the opposite... frigid cold.

The Rescue, which has the high tech lock kit was out at an accident on I-495. My Engine had the slim jim, which would not work for her model car. I told the woman we were taking the window out. Using medical tape, we covered the window surface and using a window punch, shattered the window, which was held in place by the medical tape.

We taped a plastic trash bag over the window opening to keep the cold air out of the car.

The irony of the story is... after popping the window and taping the plastic trash bag over the opening... she remembered that she had a spare key to the car in her purse!

She did send a nice letter to the Chief thanking us for our assistance.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

In a short article in todays paper, the mother stated she did not want the glass broken because she thought it might hit the kid and injure him. Just last week there was a similar incident in our town. Two parents left their kid in the car because she was sleeping. Some concerned citizen came out of a store and watched the kid for about 5 min. then called 911. Temps were in the 90's with high humity. The parents did not leave the car running. Parents came out when FD and Pd arrived and claimed to have "only been gone a second" Turns out kid was fine but a little sweaty. PD gave them a warning and sent them on there way.

Forum Member

The mother was worried the glass might hit the child???

Certainly the fire department was not going to bash in a window directly over the child. Do what Gonzo did.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

In a short article in todays paper, the mother stated she did not want the glass broken because she thought it might hit the kid and injure him
    I want to officially throw down the BS flag here. Just an excuse that she made in hindsight to cover her (apparent ) lack of parenting skills.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

I don't get people like this. If my son were locked in my vehicle on a hot day, I would be the first person to take the window out if needed.

Forum Member

Come on gang I think you all understand the importance of the Audi A4. You guys act as thought they make the windows for that car everyday. Oh wait they do. I would do like Gonzo. Tape it and window punch it. We once was called to Wal Mart for a child locked in a car. When we got there we found the lady in her early 20's (of not much money) laying on the hot asphalt. The 83 buick she had you could pull the bottom of the door out to unlock to door it was rust out so bad. In the process of doing that her arm became trapped in the door. As the young women laid there she had gotten stuck in the door linkage and window regulator. We come to find out her exhusband showed her how to do that when he gave her the car when he left. Yada yada yada. To get her out we ended up removing the door skin. Ironically the passenger side door was unlocked.

Just to show you that there are still nice people in this world left. An elderly lady that was talking to her keeping her calm through all this, gave her a car that she had extra.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

MembersZone Subscriber

Post Just some info......

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/lookbefo...kingPoints.asp

Heat exhaustion and heat stroke can occur rapidly in enclosed vehicles. A recent General Motors and SAFE KIDS Coalition study found that children are more vulnerable to heat because a child's body temperature increases three to five times faster than that of an adult. Heat stroke in infants is primarily associated with increased environmental temperatures or poor fluid intake.

According to SAFE KIDS, an average of 25 American children die each year as the result of being left in a car on a warm day.

On a 93-degree day, the inside of a car can exceed 125 degree Fahrenheit in about 20 minutes. The temperature inside of a car is hotter than outside temperatures, and can climb rapidly.

Heat stroke occurs rapidly in infants who are ill or have other predisposed health conditions - but even healthy infants are at high risk when left in a hot car.

Heat stroke can occur in a matter of minutes for young children and infants.

With heat stroke, children's skin become red and dry, and they are unable to produce sweat to reduce their core body temperature. Children's heart rates then quicken, and they eventually become confused and lose consciousness before their organ systems begin to fail.

"Cracking" the windows enough to let in air but to keep others out is not an effective way to avoid the heat risks involved with leaving a child alone in a car on a hot day.

Adults are less sensitive to heat than young children. So even if temperature inside of a car doesn't feel to hot for an adult, it may be fatal toll for young children.

Seek emergency medical attention if you know or think that your child has been exposed to high temperatures by having been left in or accidentally trapped in a car.
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

One thing that was always drilled into me at CMC: Check all the doors and trunk first, see if they open. It would amaze you to know how many people consider their drivers door the only method of entering a vehicle. Even if they have tried the passenger door, if it's a four door, they almost never tried the back doors. Just plain wierd.
    you will not be burned;

Forum Member

How about the people who lose their keyless entry remote and flip out. "Oh my god, how am I going to get in the car now!" Gee, how about the key you use to start it once you're in????
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Originally posted by nmfire
    How about the people who lose their keyless entry remote and flip out. "Oh my god, how am I going to get in the car now!" Gee, how about the key you use to start it once you're in????
    guilty
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

We have a couple members that drive wreckers and they pass on what they know about opening car doors sans key.
    If all else fails,I carry a window punch as a matter of course.I used to drive a wheelchair bus and my biggest fear,most likely unlikely too,was that I'd skid off into a lake and not be able to get my passengers out.
    A Res-Q Rench(tm)type pocket spanner doubles quite nicely as a window buster too.

Thread Information