Forum Member

Default SOP for Watercraft

Our department is still in the beginning phase of creating a full technical rescue team. In the past it was do the best we could and hope for the best. The crew I am on has been asked to look for SOP/SOG on watercraft. We have a zodiac and two john-boats. Any information on still water and swift water would be great. We are not looking for specific how to's but rather the basic boat care, handling and use so the rest of the department knows what we do.

Thank you in advance for your help.

MembersZone Subscriber

A starting point is to try and make each boat equally equipped.

I am not sure what kind of set-up you are running, but we have two zodiacs that are 14ft. Another company that we run hand in hand with has larger and it ends up sitting all the time because the areas we usually run int to are not easily accessible with a trailer. We end up doing alot of hand carrying so this is what we have done. We bought 2 32gallon totes and put gear for each boat in the tubs and that tub stays with the boat it is designated for. The totes contain:

For victims

2-PFD's to be placed on the victims
    2-helmets
    2 pair- water gloves

For our use:

2- exposure suits
    1-50ft throw bag
    1-75ft throw bag

Our personnel are issued their own PFD's and helmets that include pelican lights along with a pair of water gloves.

A big plus for us was when we switched the motor type from prop to jet. We chose the Mercury 20jet for many reason. Safer to use around divers was the biggest, but also we can go places in the river that before we could only dream of and allowing us to cover more of it by boat. The 20 Jet is actually a 30 or 35 hp prop converted.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I am sure it is some good food for thought...depending on your run area.

Forum Member

If y'all are going to be at the Jefferson County school next month,they have a swift water class that should help.
    Find a local towboat company and see if they can learn y'all anything about boat handling,and if anyone has their own boat,they can be of help as well.
    Check with the Coast Guard about license requirements.They'll need to know length and weight.
    I used to hold a Master 100 tons,Western Rivers license .I am told that my department is getting a boat as well and they are considering renewing my license if its needed for operation.
    You might not need a license to run your boats if they are below a certain size but the knowledge cannot hurt any.
    For license information,the River School has classes near the major river towns.
    http://www.riverschool.com is their website and you can get better answers than what I can give you.

Quote Originally Posted by lexfd5
    Our department is still in the beginning phase of creating a full technical rescue team. In the past it was do the best we could and hope for the best. The crew I am on has been asked to look for SOP/SOG on watercraft. We have a zodiac and two john-boats. Any information on still water and swift water would be great. We are not looking for specific how to's but rather the basic boat care, handling and use so the rest of the department knows what we do.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Thread Information