Forum Member

Default Most vehicles in first round or two?

I'm hearing from a couple of different places that most, if not all, of the vehicle grants will be in the first round or two. Is this crap? If it's true, it's sure gonna take the wind out of my sails...I wrote five grants this year, three for trucks.

Anybody know?
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

MembersZone Subscriber

Their goal is to try and get most of these vehicles awarded in first rounds. Notice I said goal only!If you would like to discuss yur grant applications contact me offline, look at my profile. Glad to help you out.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Not all of them, but a good portion. For the most part they're still following the normal order of high to low score, but there are always a few that are onhe bubble and won't get notified until later. Considering the numbers of vehicle awards pending that we already know about from the folks around here, I'd say close to 75% of the vehicle awardees have been notified.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default lost hope

Seeking opinion! Do you think any other truck grants will be awarded? I have received the 10 questions of two out of three. I really need the third to be funded. Keep praying or concentrate on next year and hope we can make it?

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, If the rumors are true, in my opinion, I can not think that the entire first round will be all the trucks they give out. It just wouldn't look good. I can understand from their perspective of wanting to give them early for the paperwork, and the cloeout side (and it's taking 2-3 yrs sometimes getting these ordered...). So, it makes sense to push them closer to the front, rather than a 20th round. Or a 30th round. However, if 'Word on the Stree' is correct anyway, there's supposedly not supposed to be those later rounds like we've seen, as we've read in here.

Now, some of that may be shot down, with the later starting. Who knows. I think, once again, my opinion, but since I work for no one person, can really say what I like...There will probably still be a few vehicles sprinkled through several of the earlier rounds. Maybe even some of the middle rounds. There had to be some departments who had apps. that weren't the highest scores. So, they in a typical year, those would be funded around Oct/Nov/Dec. for a middle score (or a lower median score...which could be high computer score, lower panel score, etc.)

So, those of you freaking right now, DO NOT. Chill. There's no way, I can see they could feasibly give out all there trucks in one round. Think about it logically. They still have ambulances to deal with. Although those are few and far between, with not much money....those guys have never received AFG money, so there's a learning curve associated. Remember your first grant? Took awhile to make sure you were doing everything right. So, I think some of the panic, is 1) the hold up of the announcements, 2) unusualness/changes with the size/amounts of depts to the award lists, 3) uncertainty over how many actual rounds there will end up being and last but not least, 4) changes to this time-tested program.

Let's face it....Although, some complained, we all knew how this would go down in June every year. We might not like it (if you were like our department and didn't hear until January or Febuary, you just accepted it). But that's the way the 'cookie crumbled'...and you sucked it up and dealt with it. Those that got funded - got it. Those that didn't started received DJ's in or around August.

And like I said, you might not have liked it, but that's how it was. Working in the grant industry (primarily with you guys, but I do write for some small municipalities, educational, parks & rec grants, etc). You learn to conform to the Grant time table, all the complaining, etc. won't change a thing.

So, long story short, An opnion, at best, but not all in first round, although, not as many, perhaps...but there will be others. Perhaps the best scorers and most needy in the first round. But look for ambulances, along with other lower priorities (maybe a few second tiers) in other rounds.
    Last edited by dixiechicknc; 07-30-2005 at 09:19 AM.

Forum Member

From my source the number of trucks is going to down this year. I dont think it would make since to do them in the first cople rounds. They say they want to do more safety items then anything.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well of course there will be less trucks, since only 25% of the total amount of money goes for them and the other 75% goes for safety items. The legislation basically says they HAVE to award 25% of the money strictly for trucks, they don't have a choice and they can't change that unless they have more money than applications; then, and only then, would they re-allocate to a different part of the program. The logic is still that they are trying to get the trucks awarded early to afford those departments awarded vehicles the maximum amount of time to have them spec'ed, ordered, built and then actually delivered. Out of the 37 departments of mine that already have their questions and 1199As, 9 of them are for trucks. Since only a total of 12 departemnts, that I worked with, went after vehicles I think that is a pretty good indication that the greater majority ( notice I did not say ALL of them) will be awarded in first or second round.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Reply I had received from Egrant support in regards to truck grant application.

Due to the large amount of applicants, we cannot update everyone on where they are in the process. Please be patient, you will be notified either way by email. The awards process won't even begin until sometime in August possibly and go well through November/December.

No awards have been announced thus far, and we don't have a specific date as to when they will start.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default First time writing grants

Well the only good thing is if they do this in the first round or two is the anxiety will be gone. The chief wrote the grants for our dept for the last 3 years, so silly me I spoke up at a meeting when the group was asked what to go for this year ( last 3 were for exaust removal and PPE cleaning equipment ). So I wrote for a new pumper/tanker....No 1199 info or Dear John letter yet....keeping hopes up for a 1199.....

Thread Information