Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Ten77EMT View Post
    This sounds good until your house is on fire and no one shows!

When you get a clue, it will make more sense to you. And this related to lightbars how?

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    In a sort of related note, all our city's intersection lights have been changed over to LED's over the past 2 years or so. Last weekend we had a rapid significant snowstorm with heavy snow and wind. They found that the LED's do not generate any heat (enough) and the snow sticks to the heads and stays, so many intersections were screwed when no one could see the lights! Three steps forward, one step back.
    Wow, very interesting and insightful story. I wonder if those lights had the bottoms cut out to let the packed know drain? (And keep the bird's nest out)

As for lightbars, all I want to do is be seen so I dont get hit and go to jail and/or get sued.

Give me some solid reds and a bar that lights the place up and I'm good...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Wow, very interesting and insightful story. I wonder if those lights had the bottoms cut out to let the packed know drain? (And keep the bird's nest out)
    They're are not completely round and have the bottom cut outs, but the blowing sticking snow was stuck to everything: wires, trees, and now intersection lights, a phenomenon not seen before around here with fixed lights. This happens a few times a winter knocking out power and taking down trees, now crippling traffic as well I guess. Similarly, our DPW crews have noticed their newer vehicles with all LED's need to be brushed off as the lights get covered quickly and the bulbs don't melt off like the old halogens or strobes.

At the risk of being labeled a whacker, I'd note we prefer a combination of LEDs and rotators. The LEDs do show up better when you look at them, but truly do not "throw" the light such that it reflects off all the glass in an intersection at night. If you park a truck with standard halogen rotators or strobes in a parking lot at night with the warning lights on, you'll see them reflect on every piece of glass that remotely faces the parking lot, with LED's... not so much.

RFDACM02- Thanks for all of the good information. Im wondering if your city or town might consider going back to the older street lights? I am guessing not since they paid so much for the LED street lights?

As for apparatus, I like the older style apparatus lights. But LEDs are the future and I think we are going to keep seeing more and more.

What the hell, i'll post on an old thread.

While I was a quick believer in LED's, it was pointed out to me, and now I see it, that they don't "bounce" off objects or reflect off stuff that well.

It's true.

I think you have to throw in some strobes or halogens.

Mix it up so that you get the best of all worlds. Use LED's for the big lights (lightbars) and strobes and flashers for the smaller ones.

This is a compromise that gives you visibility and good power management.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

LEDs are by far the brightest warning power day and night. The one caveat is that you must place them wisely, as their warning power is directional. A rotary light rotates and covers 360. LEDs must be mounted wisely to give the intersection warning but it is not hard. Try Lightbarn.com (formerly elightbars.org) and you will learn a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    (I like the MX7000)

-Bou
    because every ocfa rig has them :P (exept heavy rescue)

Thread Information