Forum Member

Default LEDs, better or worse?

Yes, I'm aware LEDs have been discussed alot on these forums. I'm asking anyone with a company that runs any kind of apparatus,command with LEDs, are they better than rotatory lights? I heard they take a few minutes to get full power(brightness). Hopefully the tanker we are getting they have offered to put on LEDs as a gift for buying their tanker. Should we go for this? Even though it is free, is it more productive than the standard rotatory lights?

Forum Member

Don't worry, I'm not gonna bash you. But to quickly answer, no they do not take a few minutes to warm up (at least not that I've ever heard of), and they are a lot more visable in sunlight as compared to rotary's or strobes. Personally, I prefer them over strobes and halogens, but to each his own
    Scott Maples
    www.Jeffersoncityfire.com
    Firefighter/EMT-IV

If you're always talking, you're never listening...if you're not listening, you're not learning.

MembersZone Subscriber

so this is what he ment when he commented on the "de ja vue" remark...

Forum Member

Yeah, Ive never heard of the "warm up" thing either. Maybe a certain brand does but our Whelens dont.

LEDs are fantastic, but you need a mix of light types to "cover all the bases". Our Quint has rotators on top and LEDs on the bottom.

On a side note, there was a report on the news tonight that Florida Highway Patrol is changing to LED bars. The interesting thing is they are going to be set up to flash red in the day time and blue at night. This came from some studdy that showed red LEDs are more visible then blue in daylight. So if you have blue on your rigs you might what to consider that.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Talking leds

I can truthfully say that I have been around from the old to the new. The old rotaters pulled plenty of power and were prone to vibration, bouncing and everything else. The strobes pulled less power and were nice except that you had power packs and plenty of wire. The LEDS are the only way to go. Less power, less wiring, no power packs to mount andthey really perform on the candellaria end. The power supply of the ones we use are integral to the light. Three wires, one hot , one ground and one to set the pattern.No contest.

Forum Member

Since we are mirroring the other identical topic...

LED's draw LESS power (like a fraction thereof) and there is no "warm up" time. Rotators are obsolete in my mind.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

But the real question is...Who cares?

You know you are a whacker when you gotta start a thread about warning lights.
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Forum Member

Originally posted by TillerMan25

Also a good point. I mean, it is a valid topic of discussion when you are designing an apparatus or planning upgrades to your 1979 engine with a candle on the roof. Hence why topics like this in the Apparatus Innovation forum are more professional and to the point.

I think we all know at this point how usles a light thread is if it is anything but that.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote by Tillerman25:

---------------------------------------------------------

My guess would be the guy that asked the wuestion cares, and everyone that can reply with out being a smart-***. Lights are part of fire apparatus. When your company starts buying apparatus without them or you start making runs without using the ones you already have, maybe then you can call someone a "whacker".

Tillerman, you sound like a "whacker" whacker! Doesn't make much sense, does it?
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Thanks Loo, I will go pick up my crying towel now....

What kills me is how people always criticize "another" forum site out there for not being relevant, and this site has THOUSANDS of threads about warning lights and their usage.

It's not so much the thread that is annoying, it is the fact that there are two of them, posted by the same person, and that they are so damn REDUNDANT!

Forum Member

Tillerman25.

Okay pal. I will quit busting your balls now. We keep cases of "crying towels" here as well, so you won me over.

I see your point. I figured the guy accidently posted duplicate threads, who knows.

I also know that there are alot of similar threads, but new members get on these forums everyday. They may not know to try a search. I am certainly new to these and had no idea at first. I was quickly educated by Weju!!

The poeple are what make the forums work however. I guess because that is how I feel aboit it, I am easy to overlook duplicate and sometimes silly threads.

I am also against the whole "whacker" theory. There are certainly some goofy fireman out there. Most people on these forums however label every volunteer firefighter that has a pager or a light in his car a "whacker". I am not saying its right or wrong, but it is how their department operates, and therefore probably the only thing they know. Can some people go over the top with it? Sure, but its not everyone. I am sure that you know nothing about the man that started this thread, as I really know nothing about you. It is for that reason that I am sorry for starting with you on a bad note.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion as well.

Stay safe.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 07-30-2005 at 10:10 AM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's all good. Because your Department uses Pirsch Tractor-Drawn Aerials, I will stand-down with my smart-a-s remarks for a while.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking 2 Points..............

Yes, LEDs are the most effective warning light system out there for now. AND, Yes, Pirsch made a great Ladder.... TM, you guys looking for a Pirsch?
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

How did we ever get to calls before LED's?? Some how we always manage to get there..and by the way how do cops get to their calls without q-sirens??? I always wondered...

Permanently Removed

Yo- I had to ask the same question and I think they
    were pretty nice to me.

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...+LEDS+lightbar

I actually dont care for the new LED bars. They arent as
    visible which means someone might hit me. Then I could
    land in the hospital AND/OR court.

So there, its not a silly question if youre seriously
    doing specs for a vehicle. (I like the MX7000)

-Bou

Forum Member

Personally I think that halogen rotators work the best for primary warning lights. A good quality rotator bar (MX7000, Federal Vector, or ViewPoint) works great as it's easily seen day or night.

LEDs as secondary lights work great. The take less power than strobes and are more visilbe than halogen flashers. The combination of LEDs and Halogen rotators are the best bet in my opinion.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Volunteer Firefighters should be held to the same standards as Reserve Police Officers.
    This sounds good until your house is on fire and no one shows!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ten77EMT View Post
    Wow. Your very first post - Paid vs. volly in a thread that is over 3 years old.

Fail.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Forum Member

Wink

Get him Memphis!! I saw that too and I can't get myself up off the floor laughing at him, to go and find this thread and on his very first post slam my man BOU!!!

Sounds like he is thin skin.......

BTY I still like the Halogen Lights and Pirsch Tillers!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation There's no perfect anything!

In a sort of related note, all our city's intersection lights have been changed over to LED's over the past 2 years or so. Last weekend we had a rapid significant snowstorm with heavy snow and wind. They found that the LED's do not generate any heat (enough) and the snow sticks to the heads and stays, so many intersections were screwed when no one could see the lights! Three steps forward, one step back.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by Ten77EMT View Post

When you get a clue, it will make more sense to you. And this related to lightbars how?

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    In a sort of related note, all our city's intersection lights have been changed over to LED's over the past 2 years or so. Last weekend we had a rapid significant snowstorm with heavy snow and wind. They found that the LED's do not generate any heat (enough) and the snow sticks to the heads and stays, so many intersections were screwed when no one could see the lights! Three steps forward, one step back.
    Wow, very interesting and insightful story. I wonder if those lights had the bottoms cut out to let the packed know drain? (And keep the bird's nest out)

As for lightbars, all I want to do is be seen so I dont get hit and go to jail and/or get sued.

Give me some solid reds and a bar that lights the place up and I'm good...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Wow, very interesting and insightful story. I wonder if those lights had the bottoms cut out to let the packed know drain? (And keep the bird's nest out)
    They're are not completely round and have the bottom cut outs, but the blowing sticking snow was stuck to everything: wires, trees, and now intersection lights, a phenomenon not seen before around here with fixed lights. This happens a few times a winter knocking out power and taking down trees, now crippling traffic as well I guess. Similarly, our DPW crews have noticed their newer vehicles with all LED's need to be brushed off as the lights get covered quickly and the bulbs don't melt off like the old halogens or strobes.

At the risk of being labeled a whacker, I'd note we prefer a combination of LEDs and rotators. The LEDs do show up better when you look at them, but truly do not "throw" the light such that it reflects off all the glass in an intersection at night. If you park a truck with standard halogen rotators or strobes in a parking lot at night with the warning lights on, you'll see them reflect on every piece of glass that remotely faces the parking lot, with LED's... not so much.

Permanently Removed

RFDACM02- Thanks for all of the good information. Im wondering if your city or town might consider going back to the older street lights? I am guessing not since they paid so much for the LED street lights?

As for apparatus, I like the older style apparatus lights. But LEDs are the future and I think we are going to keep seeing more and more.

Back In Black

What the hell, i'll post on an old thread.

While I was a quick believer in LED's, it was pointed out to me, and now I see it, that they don't "bounce" off objects or reflect off stuff that well.

It's true.

I think you have to throw in some strobes or halogens.

Mix it up so that you get the best of all worlds. Use LED's for the big lights (lightbars) and strobes and flashers for the smaller ones.

This is a compromise that gives you visibility and good power management.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Thread Information