Forum Member

Default Will people ever get it?

Divers Stop Search For 2-Year-Old Who Fell From Truck Into River

What about the words car seat don't people understand?

Forum Member

The Paducah FD does child safety seat inspections but whenever I am in the station on detail or just hanging out,I'll field at least one call a day asking about when the inspections can be done.I make sure to give out the proper information as my volunteer department doesn't do the checks.
    It'd be a good idea if we had people at the house all the time,though.

Forum Member

They have recovered the little girls body.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

One job I hope never to have but I know it can happen.

Forum Member

In my community fire hall, we run the only monthly car seat inspection clinic in Southern Alberta (or darned near the only one). A large city nearby (let's call it) used to do it, and now they don't... why? Well they were trying to make it sound like it was all an issue of the clinics being taken advantage of, and people showing up with the seats in a box... yada yada yada. The root of the problem is actually that EMS personnel were being brought in on days off and being paid overtime... while guys from the fire stations were just being taken off the floor.

Yeah... nice eh? I'm slightly comforted by the fact that all that money they don't make regardless of not doing the inspection clinics will pad their collective conscience as they respond to the infant fatalities within their boundaries.

I mean, the logic behind taking the service out of the car seat inspection business can't even be considered one of financial gain. It certainly wasn't to ward off animosity between fire and EMS- because that's always been there and always will be. I don't know- are we getting too lazy as a service to provide the public with what it needs? Are we succombing to complacency?

I've been doing all our voluntary inspection clinics for over 2 years, and I attend the "nearby city's" car seat blitzes (like checkstops for carseats) as a volunteer... one seat at a time.
    Last edited by Eno821; 07-30-2005 at 06:37 PM.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Train Hard, Fight Easy

Forum Member

Originally posted by Eno821
    In my community fire hall, we run the only monthly car seat inspection clinic in Southern Alberta (or darned near the only one). A large city nearby (let's call it) used to do it, and now they don't... why? Well they were trying to make it sound like it was all an issue of the clinics being taken advantage of, and people showing up with the seats in a box... yada yada yada. The root of the problem is actually that EMS personnel were being brought in on days off and being paid overtime... while guys from the fire stations were just being taken off the floor.

Yeah... nice eh? I'm slightly comforted by the fact that all that money they don't make regardless of not doing the inspection clinics will pad their collective conscience as they respond to the infant fatalities within their boundaries.

I mean, the logic behind taking the service out of the car seat inspection business can't even be considered one of financial gain. It certainly wasn't to ward off animosity between fire and EMS- because that's always been there and always will be. I don't know- are we getting too lazy as a service to provide the public with what it needs? Are we succombing to complacency?

I've been doing all our voluntary inspection clinics for over 2 years, and I attend the "nearby city's" car seat blitzes (like checkstops for carseats) as a volunteer... I'm doing my part. Are you?

If the child was properly restrained in a car seat, this accident would not have happened.

When I did my bone box/observation/ride time for my EMT certification back in 1982, the first response of the night was to a motor vehicle collision with a three year old holding her six month old sister on her lap in the front seat! Both children were injured and ended up being hospitalized.

Mom was cited and fined for the lack of car seats. Personally, I think she got off lightly.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

No, they will never "get it". Too many idiots in the world.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

I suppose in the defense of some parents, the technology has gone a long way since they sat in car seats. When I grew up the car seat was my dad's lap between him and the steering wheel half the time. Things move forward so quickly, in a lot of cases it's tough for parents to follow what's going on. This makes our efforts in the educational arena even more valuable.

It's a difficult proposition to try and convince a loving parent that you know more about their child's safety than they do... so it takes quite a big person to come in and admit to not knowing- and to face being corrected. In answer to that problem, we have the car seat blitzes in the big city- where people are fined 115 bucks per infraction... many building up to 3-400 dollars in fines. Naturally, if they attend a car seat course for 2 hours (free) they get the ticket removed... I think it's a pretty good strategy, and I applaud the police / health unit here for organizing it.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Train Hard, Fight Easy

Forum Member

The MetroWest Medical Center in Framingham, MA will not allow a mother newborn to be discharged unless they have a properly installed car seat in the vehicle.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Gonzo, Almost all hosp. are the same way.

answer to original question.NO !

Forum Member

I think some of you are missing the point. This isn't about whether the car seat is installed properly. It is about having the kid in the damn seat at all!!!

What good is a properly secured car seat if the child is sitting next to it or in the front seat?

Forum Member

Originally posted by Eno821
    I suppose in the defense of some parents, the technology has gone a long way since they sat in car seats. When I grew up the car seat was my dad's lap between him and the steering wheel half the time. Things move forward so quickly, in a lot of cases it's tough for parents to follow what's going on. This makes our efforts in the educational arena even more valuable.

It's a difficult proposition to try and convince a loving parent that you know more about their child's safety than they do... so it takes quite a big person to come in and admit to not knowing- and to face being corrected. In answer to that problem, we have the car seat blitzes in the big city- where people are fined 115 bucks per infraction... many building up to 3-400 dollars in fines. Naturally, if they attend a car seat course for 2 hours (free) they get the ticket removed... I think it's a pretty good strategy, and I applaud the police / health unit here for organizing it.
    Lets put the onus back on the parents Ian, Like you we have our monthly inspection/installation go round. When people call because they dont know how to install them regularily - then where do they go?? Well - if they cant follow the instructions that come with the seat, they can go to the hospital (ours) and be guided through the installation, or they can go to the health unit for the same instruction. Its up to the parents if they want to or care to do that.

As for those with car seats that dont use them - just a statistic to me. When they are balling their eyes out because their kid is dead or injured, I shrug my shoulders - parents choice, no sense beating myself up about it - I just deal with the injuries! Kind of cold but reality.
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Forum Member

I hear what you're saying Dave... Sorry, didn't realize you guys were doing monthly seat inspections too- my bad.

At the same time, you can't correct a problem if you don't know there is one- and that's why I'm saying we need to continuously educate the public on the changes being made. The parents who come to the clinics fit into a particular demographic- in my experience. Usually it's new parents who have put the seat in to their best ability in most cases want a pat on the back for putting it in right. Still, 70% or so are in wrong enough that they won't function as they're supposed to and those are the people who think they did it right. Totally different statistic at the checkstops.

So yeah, I concur with your assessment- but there are still people out there who don't know better... and that's where we come in.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Train Hard, Fight Easy

Forum Member

Will people get it?

When have they ever?
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Thread Information