Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Ain't it funny how the night moves...with autumn closin' in...

O.K...so I'm seeking help from those that know.

You see, after 13 years of being an officer (1 year captain, 12 years 2'nd Assistant Chief), I am hanging up the white helmet at the end of this year. I am still going to play an active role in my fire company as an apparatus operator. I was wondering...what's it like going back to a regular operational position from a more command centered position. For those that have been there, done that...tell me, is there an adjustment period? Do you regret it? Are you more relaxed? Good points, bad points?

(I am going back to school for my Master's degree and will not have as much time to dedicate...as an officer should IMHO.)
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Hey, no Monkey or KWANG this time?

I thought you were mystic and all knowing. Shouldnt you know the answer to this question?
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

You'll see just how good you were as an officer. Cause when you demote yourself, they're gonna let you know for sure.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Talking ewwww...

I think I ran over your monkey with the rig awhile ago... I was able to save the beer.. but the monkey is uhh... kinda squishy.. ewww..

GO NAVY!!

I was an Lt with my former department and an engineer with my current one. I dont miss it at all. Ive had ample oppurtunity to sit for promotion in the last couple years but Im not interested. Im too happy doing what I do.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

No regrets. You will find that your experience as an officer will help you be a better firefighter. You'll understand the pressures that are on your (new) supervisors better than your fellow firefighters and why they make the decisions that they do. You'll also be in a better position to help your fellow firefighters understand as well.

Just remember that your former underlings are now your supervisors, and allow them to be. You'll be able to help them greatly, and if they're worth their salt they'll appreciate your help, but you'll want to let them learn some things for themselves, too.

I've done this twice. The first time was all within one department- I was ill-prepared to be an officer, recognized it and stepped down to gain more experience. The second time, I changed departments. From Asst. Chief of the old to FF in the new. (This is what I base my above comments on.)

I got quite a few laughs when I was awarded "Rookie of the Year" on my new department- after 19 years in the fire service and with a number of my former fellow chiefs in attendance. Guess I'm a slow learner!
    TW
    Essex Junction Fire Dept.
    Vermont

Thread Information