MembersZone Subscriber

Default Erie Fire Dept. Non-LODD

The Erie Fire Protection District is mourning the death of Firefighter Cory Stubbs. Cory 26, was a 5 year member of the Erie Fire Department. Cory was involved in a single vehicle accident on 7-30-05 near Hillsdale on Interstate 88.

Visitation - Monday 2p-4p & 6p-8p at Gibson Funeral Home in Erie
    A fire dept walk through will be at 6:30pm, it is asked that all personel meet at the Erie Fire Station at 6:00pm

Funeral service - Tuesday 10:30am at the Erie Christian Church, luncheon to follow at the Erie Fire Station

he family has requested that no fire apparatus other than that of the Erie Fire Protection District.
    Last edited by lilyogi; 07-31-2005 at 09:54 AM.
    Lilyogi

Forum Member

What happened in the accident. No matter what happened its still sad to hear that he died. My condolences to his family and ur dept. Rest in Peace Brother.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not sure what happened, have "heard" that he went off the road and rolled and was ejected.
    Lilyogi

MembersZone Subscriber

Darrin:
    Sorry to hear about your department's loss.
    From our department to yours'; you have our deepest sympathy.
    My condolences as well.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Firefighter Cory Stubbs' memorial in fron of the fire station
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lilyogi

MembersZone Subscriber

Mourning hte loss of one of our own.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lilyogi

MembersZone Subscriber

Please don't tell me he was a young kid, or a new father, or something like that.

While every loss is devastating, I get hit harder by the younger ones.
    Last edited by npfd801; 07-31-2005 at 03:51 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Darin-
    Very sorry to hear of your loss. From DeKalb County, you have our deepest sympathies.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

By Kelly Hessedal
    News Channel 8 www.wqad.com

ERIE, ILLINOIS - A car wreck claimed the life of an Erie firefighter over the weekend.

26-year-old Corey Stubbs was killed in a one-car accident early Saturday morning. He was not on duty at the time. It happened on I-88 near mile marker nine.The young man was on his way home when he lost control of his car - and drove into the median. Firefighters from Stubbs own department would've responded to the scene had it been just 3 miles closer to Erie.

Stubbs was a five year member of the fire department. Today fellow firefighters spent the day preparing for his funeral.

"We'll have the number 17 on our helmets in memory of Corey," said Fire Chief Jim Melton.

He's the first firefighter on active duty the department's ever lost. The hometown kid comes from a family of firefighters - Melton says Corey was never afraid to put his life on the line.

"He was a guy who would give of himself for the betterment of everybody," he added.

He says the Southern Illinois grad had a playful sense of humor - and wasn't afraid to speak his mind.

"He was feisty in that sense, didn't mind asking tough questions," said Melton.

Tonight a memorial sits on the department's front lawn - complete with Corey's gear - and the American flag, now lowered to half staff.

"Tragedies usually have a way of bringing fire service together," said Melton."We'll get through it, be stronger for it, keep moving forward."

No official word on the cause of the accident. Corey's grandfather says police suspect he fell asleep at the wheel - they say he always wore his seatbelt - but for some reason wasn't that night.
    Lilyogi

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Darin, our condolences go out to Cory's family and to all the FFs on the Erie FD.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Darin
    Cory's family and your department are in our thoughts and prayers.
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

On behalf of the Erie Fire Protection District and the Family of Firefighter Cory Stubbs, I want to say Thank you to each and every one of you for your prayers and thoughts. It has been a long couple of days but we are doing ok.

The turnout for the visitation was unbelievable!! Just for the Fire Dept. walk through we estimated at least 200 firefighters/EMS personel. The line for the vistation was so long it was at least a block long at times and took over an hour to go through the line.

I have been around the fire and ems service all my life and have participated in other firefighter funerals but I have never seen anything like this. It goes to show how close the fire service is.

The funeral service today was unbeliveable, again a lot of fire personel were there and it was estimated there was over 200 cars beside the fire and ems apparatus from Erie.

Last but not least, I would also like to thank the Illinois Fire Chief's Association for everything they did to make the last few days easier for us. They took care of organizing everything and did an excellent job. If any dept.s have to go through this contact them, they are great!!

God Bless each and every one of you and stay safe!
    Darin
    Lilyogi

Thread Information