Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: California Jobs

MembersZone Subscriber

Default California Jobs

I am a Firefighter/Paramedic in Arizona. I have an AAS in Paramedicine and have been in the fire service for 15 years. I have been a paramedic for 10 years. I grew up in southern california and I would love to get back there as a firefighter. I hold many certifications in Arizona, Fire Officer, TRT. I have talked with the CSFM office and I know there is no reciprocity. The only other way to get the required certifications is to have a department evaluate my education and experience and sponsor me with a letter to the SFM office. Can anyone help. PLease
    Last edited by fyrewalkr; 07-31-2005 at 02:32 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have the same questions. I posted on the California page about an hour ago. Personally I'm a fire fighter-paramedic in a small town In Southeastern MA, I've always wanted to move to Cali and having just got married, and being 25, I figure its now or never. I have two years experience as a full time fire fighter, another two as a call fire fighter. Two years as a medic three as a basic. I hold all the standard certs (ACLS, PHTLS, PALS, healthcare provider CPR) and aspire to do more (teach, etc.) I am a graduate of the MA Fire academy, with Fire fighter I completed. What are my options, chances, etc.?

Talking There are jobs out there for you

There are jobs I am sure you can get if you look hard enough. I just read yesterday on I think it is this web site about how Hemit City is even going to try and give a 3K signing bonus for people with experiance to work for them.

I also saw that 29 palms MCAS is hiring for Firefighter/Paramedic and it pays up to 91K a year.

Good Luck
    Front line since 1983 and still going strong

Forum Member

While it's true that your FF I and II certs (and hazmat and lots of other stuff) from out of state won't transfer, they'll be putting you through their academy anyway, so it doesn't matter. The main thing is to transfer your emtp. Get your nat'l reg, and you'll be all set. Most places in CA (at least around where I live) don't care if you have fire, rescue, or hazmat certs, just as long as you have a paramedic license. Paramedics are getting picked up all over the place out here.

Also, look for departments doing lateral hires. You'll start at a higher pay rate.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Latteral transfer from Out of State?

So I'll get to spend another 3 months at the fire academy? Not a bad propositon for more money... But can I laterally transfer from an out of state department?

Forum Member

I did (from east of the Mississippi). And lateral academies are generally shorter. Mine was only 8 weeks.

Fds that hire laterals:

Orange County
    Oakland (As I understand it, they've only had one class so far, but might have more)
    San Fransisco (not sure if they'll be doing more)
    Sacramento City
    Santa Monica
    Chico

And lots of smaller communities.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow... that's great news... thanks for your help...

Since youre a Paramedic, youre on the right path to landing a So. Cal. job. You need to subscibe to a service to get the edge. (I do)

If youre looking for a Lateral job, Ventura COUNTY is hiring soon. (next month)

The absolute best places to find the jobs in California-

www.firecareers.com
    www.firerecruit.com

-Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 08-15-2005 at 01:59 AM.

Default Update...

Quote Originally Posted by UTFFEMT
    There are jobs I am sure you can get if you look hard enough. I just read yesterday on I think it is this web site about how Hemit City is even going to try and give a 3K signing bonus for people with experiance to work for them.
    Just a quick note, I called the City of Hemet HR today (8/15) and they are not filling any current and/or future Firefighter positions. The 3k signing bonus is only for Experienced Poice Officers.

The article did mention thier FD, but if you check their website here- www.ci.hemet.ca.us/employment.htm You can confirm this information.

-Bou

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Where

I'd love to get more information from you guys. I've moved to California, 2 years as a Paramedic from Missouri and Illinois, and I now live in Northern California, and I drive 2 hours each way to work a job as a Paramedic, making a little over $12/hr. I left a $14.25/hr job in the midwest to come out here, and now it feels like there's nothing out here that will pay me enough to make my rent.
    Any information you can pass on to NREMT-Ps in the Bay area would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

A lot of hiring going on in the central valley. A guy from Sacramento City told me that as long as you have an emt-p card and can pass a background, you've got a really good shot at getting in.

Thread Information