Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default paramedic with no fire school?

Hey everyone, I just got finished with my EMT-B course, and I'm trying to make up my mind what to do from here, maybe someone can point me in the right direction. Here's the situation, I was going to knock out my paramedic *get hired on with a station?* and then eventually goto fire school and move to combat. In this scenario, would I need to attend fire school to be hired on at a station?

Forum Member

Look into fire school requirements and how long you will have to wait.Some academies have a six month waiting list, and some have reduced the number classes they teach. If you are going to have to wait six months for the academy, you may want to take some of the classes for medic while you are waiting. Do not attempt to do both at the same time, it is not recomended as the fire academy is study,class,practicals, for the duration, eat, sllep and drink it during that time. Some departments will hire a medic and put them through the academy but they are hard to find.

I'm in north florida (jacksonville) and from my understanding there is a huge need for medics in this area. All I'm looking to do is try to get hired on ASAP and actually start making some money

I haven't taken the state/national boards for EMT yet, but that shouldn't be an issue.

MembersZone Subscriber firepimp's Avatar

I have had many friends do they're paramedic first then onto fire and find great jobs during or even before fire school. I on the other hand have done my fire first and now working on my medical side , its very tough for me to just get hired on anywhere as a fire guy , so Im working on my emt.

I went one route my friends have done the other as of right now they have fire jobs I don't lol. But Im happy Ive gotten all my fire out of the way and I also have taken other classes related to fire side to get more cert's and more training as my other friends havn't.

But if I could do it all over again i would have done my medical side first and gotten hired on somewhere and then worked on my fire side.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

Forum Member

Check with the fire training center in St. Augustine and see how long you'll have to wait before getting in. If it's more than a month or two then I'd go to Paramedic first.

Of course, I always reccommend getting some experience as an EMT before going through medic, but that's up to you. Not sure how many EMS depts there are near Jax, but I'm in the Gainesville area and there's a bunch down here that will hire EMT's. Of course, you could always try your luck applying as an EMT with Jax Fire, but the applicant pool is pretty large. I know St. Johns County is hiring right now also.

Hope that helps.
    IAFF - Fire/EMS

MembersZone Subscriber

In SW Florida three other medics and I were hired without fire cert(3 different depts). We are currently still in the academy. The deptartments paid for the academy, and pay us a wage to go. I think that state wide it is possible to get hired before the academy as a medic. Most department in my area will hire medics without fire certs, since they are so few around. Naturally other factors like interview and background are a huge factor. Good luck

Thread Information