Forum Member

Default How do i become a firefighter?

Hi im very interested in becomming a firefighter and i was just wondering if anyone could give me the steps on how to do it , i live in connecticut.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are two ways to become a firefighter and it depends on whether you are looking for a career or whether you are looking to volunteer. If you are looking for a career you need to start looking in the SUNDAY papers and online for job openings. There is a long process and you aren't guaranteed to get a job. The best thing to do is find a volunteer department. Depending on what town you live in, that might not be a problem. Apply at your local volunteer fire house, most of the time they will pay for your training. I would recommend doing this anyway. That is what I did.

MembersZone Subscriber

Crossbro1

I see your from Meriden, do you have any idea of how many firefighters they might be looking at hiring with the next test coming up?

Forum Member

so if i volenteer they will pay for traing and then maybe inthe long run i can just apply for a career? and i already have the trainging?But yes i am looking for a career

Forum Member

bsuperior2,
    Where do you live?
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

MembersZone Subscriber

There will be a few positions opening up, but it all depends on how many guys retire.

Forum Member

i live in Shelton CT keith.

Forum Member

bsuperior2,
    I'm in a rush so I'll make this short & sweet. Take as many tests as you hear about! Get in shape! Become an EMT at a minimum! Get a nice suit and polish your shoes! Shelton has a volunteer orginization so check it out. Being a volunteer will help in some citys but not all. Do a search on posts I've replied to and you will see some of my more detailed answers to the question you have asked. Got to go!
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Forum Member

Hey I am not sure if you have begun the fire department yet! I live in Ansonia where I am a volunteer. I would take other peoples advice and start volunteer and get some training and see if you like it and something that you want to do. Then if it is later you can look for jobs and apply. Some of the things that other people have stated is some of the best advice that I have recieved from guys in my firehouse. Look into Shelton's volunteer and get as much training as you can get. Be in shape and it would be in your best intrest to get your EMT because most department in the State of Connecticut require you to be EMT certified at least. But with all your training you are not gaurnteed a job. I know in Wilton Connecticut they were just hiring in order to apply you need to have a Q2 (lincse to driver the truck) and EMT and firefighter 1. Hope your search works out for you!
    Good Luck
    Eng # To firecom I have a 1 story wood frame structure with a man on the roof putting the fire out...

Forum Member

I am a member of the Shelton Fire Department, if you are interested in joining, let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

Forum Member

Default Hey CrossBro1

I know you said it depends on how many retire but when do retirments happen if they do? I have heard that they wait until the first of the year to get vacation time then go. I have also heard they wait until contract time. Do you guys have a contract in negotiation right now and if so when is that ratified?
    Thanks in advance
    Mark

Thread Information