Thread: Coming to NYC!!

Forum Member

Default Coming to NYC!!

My not so better half and I have actually found ourselves with a weekend off together with no kids and a very small amount of extra money burning a hole in our pockets. He was so impressed with NYC while there for the 9-11 memorial that he has been dying to show me what he experienced.

We are looking at heading down on Friday (Aug 5) and returning on the Sun. If anyone has any ideas of less expensive hotels where we could stay (like under $250 a night )and some ideas for places to eat. I would love to experience places like Little Italy and the more authentic areas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Go to Priceline and enter a price. You'll be surprised at the deal you can work.

There are no authentic places left in Manhattan. Little Italy is a tourist trap and the real Chinatown is in Flushing. If you would like to view ex-pats from other states who think they are true NY'ers, I suggest the Upper East Side (you'll know them by their conversation, either rehashing Sex and the City or bashing the bridge and tunnel crowd (we're the one's born and raised here, and they make fun of us??)
    If you're in town til the 8th, check out a Yankee game. Even if you're not a baseball fan, the people watching is great.

Forum Member

hell I cant even get you to here ~ ! LOL ...............safe travels !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Oh, I forgot one thing. If you are in midtown, go to Fifth and Fifty-fourth and get a wurst from Hallo Berlin, best cheap lunch in the city. It's a cart not a restaurant.

Forum Member

Josh, don't worry Ohio is on my list for this year, with a quick stop in Ann Arbour to visit my brother (keeping fingers crossed anyways)

George mentioned Hoboken in another thread but I can only find one hotel online for that city. Anyone know of other hotels there?

Thanks for the info about the eating places ubshockey, guess it stands to figure if "I" have heard of little italy, it'll be a tourist trap

Any other suggestions people? What about attractions other than the obvious ones. We are far more apt to just walk the streets, popping into shops enjoying the ambiance of the city rather than hit the typical tourist areas. Anything we just shouldn't miss?
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I think you should come to Victoria
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Lady, When I was there in April I stayed at the Club Quarters down in the Wall Street area....... Don't remember the cost, but the rooms were pretty small........ Definitely don't eat at the Bull Run Restaurant that's in the hotel..... $60 for 2 burgers and 2 beers is kinda steep!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Chumley's, 86 Bedford street, Greenwich Village.

Good Pub, where the phrase "86" meaning "we're out of what you odered" comes from. They also have a nice memorial to some of the FF's lost at the WTC.

There is no sign, only an 86 above the door, former speakeasy.

I'm out, got to work tomorrow...separating the stupid from their money.

Forum Member

When I went to NYC, I dont remember where I stayed the last time, but it was pretty close to E40/L35.

The FDNY guys on the forum sure pointed me along in the right direction for stuff to do.

MembersZone Subscriber

When we went to the memorial we stayed at the Marriott Courtyard in Secaucus, NJ. They had a NJ Transit bus stop right in front of the hotel and the bus went to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan. From there we took the subway or walked anywhere we wanted to go.

Not sure what the hotel price would be as I used my wife's employee discount. Check out their website www.marriott.com

Have a good trip!
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

For great Italian, go to Carmine's on West 44th Street, not too far from Tinms Square. They serve their food family style, huge portions and decent prices!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

There are a bunch of areas in North Jersey where you can stay much cheaper than in NYC.

The most convenient of these would be in the Secaucus/East Rutherford area known as the Meadowlands. There are a billion hotels int his area. There are a group of them in The Plaza at Harmon Meadow. THere is a Hampton Inn, Courtyard Marriott and An Embassy Suites int he middle of a bunch of restaurants and an upscale mall. All within about 5 miles of midtown. Nay of the hotels around Route 3 are very convenient to midtown.

There are a couple of hotels in downtown Jersey City. These hotels are probably expensive, but you might be able to get a del on one of the online sites. These hotels are within a walk of ferries over to the area of the WTC. Make suer the hotel is downtown in the area of Exchange Place.

Yuo can also look around Weehawken (where they filmed most of the exterior scenes in the movie Moonstruck)or North Bergen. They will be very close to NY Waterways Ferry Terminal that goes to midtown.

Obviously, the farther you get away from the city, the less expensive the hotel. Mass transit into the city from orth Jersey is plentiful. NJ Transit Midtown Direct trains, numerous bus lines, ferries on the waterfront, the PATH tubes, etc. DO NOT DRIVE A CAR INTO NYC!

My favorite restaurant? St. Andrews on 46th St in the theater district.

PM me if you need anything else.

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    For great Italian, go to Carmine's on West 44th Street, not too far from Tinms Square. They serve their food family style, huge portions and decent prices!
    The last trip to NYC, I swear I gained 10 pounds eating at Carmines. The food was great, the service was even better, and it had a really nice feel in there. You HAVE to go to Carmines atleast once while you're in NYC.

Now that I'm not completely tired, if you're looking for a good place to stay that's right "on" Times Square, there's a hotel behind the "W", which has a bronze statue of a firefighter knealing down. I don't remember the name of it for the life of me, but the rates were quire reasonable when we stayed during August of 2001 and Thanksgiving 2002.

What's the barbeque restaraunt that's down in Times Square? It's right behind the CBS (?) building... That place was awesome.

Forum Member

I believe you are talking about the Milford Hotel? That is where the contingent of my partners local stayed when they came down for the service. So far that is the most reasonable we've found at $199.99 a night directly in NYC. I don't want to seem cheap, but you have to remember to tack on $25-$30 a night per hundred for exchange. That makes a HUGE difference.

Gonzo, Carmines sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. I LOVE Italian food, we'll be sure to check it out.

George, thanks for the great leads. Looking at the maps, those areas originally looked too far away from the city, but when you put it in perspective with transit being so close, it isn't so bad.

Thanks for all your help guys, any other suggestions or places we just "have" to visit?

Jenn, I'd LOVE to come to Victoria but NY is only 7 hrs away while BC is about 3 days and we only have a weekend
    Last edited by LadyCapn; 08-01-2005 at 02:12 PM.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

The BBQ place is called "Virgils".

You have to hit it up.

Woohoo for finding that after a few hours on the inter-web.

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    Not bad, but Domenick's on Arthur Ave in the Bronx is head and shoulders better. Well worth the trip up, but they don't take reservations.

Dominick's Restaurant
    2335 Arthur Avenue, Bronx, NY 10458
    (718) 733-2807

Andy

Forum Member

And for the ulitmate tourist restaurant (maybe not but close) in Times Square...Bubba Gumps Shrimp factory....good food, decent food prices,,,,but $14 for a 22oz bud made me thankful I only had 1 beer.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok, At risk of giving up some of my best places...and most places I'll give you might be somewhat touristy but they are out of the way and most tourists don't make it to these joints...

First things first...Stay away from any Chain resturants while in NYC..especially in Times Square...if you go to the Olive Garden or anywhere similar you will hate yourself for it...don't waste the potential for real good food for alot less $$$.

I'll agree with Chumleys...however the odds of a tourist finding the place are slim to none. Those damn Village streets can be confusing when sober! Worth it if you can find it. Get lost ask the brothers at 24/5, they know where it is.

15 East 7th St. Will have you at McSorleys Tavern. Oldest operating bar in NYC Since 1854 or something like that. All they serve is Dark and light beer. 2 for $4 if I recall. Interesting suroundings.

While in the East Village...try Katz Deli 205 East Houston St. Send a Salami to your boy in the ARMY! It is where Harry met Sally and has some pretty good food..not as pricey as those traps, Carnegie Deli and some of those other joints on 7th Ave. For Pastrys afterwords...try Veniero's 11th St between 1st and 2nd Aves.

Take a walk though downtown Manhattan. It only takes a matter of hours to walk Wall & Broad St, Pier 17 Seaport, Trinity Church (If open walk through the grave yard...very interesting) Battery Park...numerous guys hawking paintings and the cheapest Rolexes you will ever see and the boats that take you to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. (This takes a few hours so plan ahead)

Best BBQ is either Tennesee Mountain (Spring St at Wooster)or Brother Jimmy's (Amsterdam Ave and West 80st St. or 2nd Ave and 77th.)

Greek food, try Molyvos on 7th Ave around 56th St. Little pricey though. Good service and great food.

Seafood, A little dressy and $$$ but you can try to get reservations at Ocean Grill 384 Columbus Ave. 212-579-2300

Irish Bars, Anywhere on the Upper West or East sides for some nice Fish and Chips and a pint of Guinness.

Metropolitan Museum of Art on 5th Ave or the Museum of Nat History on Central Park West. Both good times and both can take most of the day to see everything...or you can just spend a few hours.

Chinatown, which is more Chinese than Little Italy is Italian! I wouldn't recomend any places to eat...however if you like handbags...I've got a Kate Spade for you for the low low price of $15 Also a trip there wouldn't be complete without buying one of those touristy shirts that have a printing of a handgun and state (Welcome to New York, Now Duck MotherF*%ker)

PS- Don't buy any FDNY or NYPD stuff from these clowns...most if not all is illegal and supports only these clowns. Stop by one of the firehouses you see and you can get a shirt from any of them.

Little Itally is a little touristy now..but it isn't the worst trap and most places have a decent menu...I would sugest you head to some places in Brooklyn for the best Italian food however you might get lost. It is probably easier to get to for most visitors and has much more scenery for people watching than 86th St! Just look at the menus and don't get pressured by the greased back Staten Island Types trying to coerce you into their joint...don't like the prices move on.

As for Hotels. Last minute and during the height of the tourist season and tourists are visiting at all time highs....you can't even get a room at the Upper West Side YMCA!. Best bet is to look at a Hagstroms of midtown and look at all the small hotels on the map and google them. There are countless small operations that aren't much more than old SROs. There are lots of smaller and cheaper joints on the Upper West and East Sides that are realtively cheap but you will be very cramped and YOU WILL SHARE A BATHROOM WITH EVERYONE ON THE FLOOR! But you said you wanted to travel cheap...so this is what cheap gets you in NYC. You will be looking at $60-90 a night. Best case senario

If you want a real look at "European Style" travel... You can look to see if they have a room at the West 71st Hotel...not sure of the name. I know some guys who stayed there back in 2001. Pretty rough accomidations though. Also try the Milford Plaza is usually cheap and the Holiday Inn on West 57th Street is nice. (Has the only roof top pool in the city. Very nice.)

Enjoy your stay

MembersZone Subscriber

You WILL have lunch at Katz' Deli and buy a salami for a soldier. BTW, have the pastrami.

http://www.katzdeli.com/

Forum Member

Awesome guys, that's exactly what we are looking for!!! Thanks!! Fred, as far as some the "cheap" hotels you mentioned, I didn't quite mean that cheap We don't plan to spend a lot of time in the room so we aren't looking for fancy, but I refuse to share a bathroom with an entire hotel Clean, safe and comfortable is what we are looking for. We may stay at the Milford or some of the NJ ones look promising if transportation is as easy as some say.

E229, Katz looks awesome. We may just have to stop there for lunch. I've done Tony Paco's in Toledo, would love to add this one to my list.

Thanks, and if anyone has anymore suggestions keep em coming!

Oh, and I hear that Jeremy's has moved? Can anyone give me directions to the new location? We'd like to see if the mementos are still there from his last visit.
    Last edited by LadyCapn; 08-01-2005 at 09:10 PM.
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks, and if anyone has anymore suggestions keep em coming!
    Despite what the newspapers may tell you, there is only one major league baseball team in NY and they play in Yankee Stadium. Ugly subway ride, uglier drive. In fact, I don't even know if they are home that w/e.

Madame Trusauds (sp) Wax Museum on Times Square was kind of neat, but expensive as hell.

You might be able to find some bargains for a Broadway Show. They all have different schedules. I've seen Phantom twice. Seats are a little easier to get now than 5 years ago.

Forum Member

For beverages and great pub type eats, I reccomend O'Flanagans. First Ave between 65/66 st. Good bands Thurs/Fri/Sat and no cover charge.

Andy

Forum Member

I live a short distance from Toronto, so many of the same shows are playing here. Because we only have a weekend, we aren't looking to cram an exhausting itineray into a few days so all the tourist sites aren't on the agenda. I'd like to visit Ground Zero, and for the most part just experience the City, the culture and the people (hopeful not those that those Tshirts were designed because of )

My partner tells me the NYC is Disney World for adults. I can't wait
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh, and I hear that Jeremy's has moved? Can anyone give me directions to the new location? We'd like to see if the mementos are still there from his last visit.
    I regret to announce Jeremy's has moved to a small storefront location, two blocks from the old location. None of the old momentos remain. It's over, no longer worth a stop.

Forum Member

Originally posted by E229Lt

I regret to announce Jeremy's has moved to a small storefront location, two blocks from the old location. None of the old momentos remain. It's over, no longer worth a stop.
    Can Robin get her bra back, then?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information