Sr. Information Officer

Default An Entire Department Suspended-Alleged Rape

Fire department suspended after alleged rape

PRIEST RIVER, Idaho (AP) - The entire 22-member volunteer fire
    department in Priest River has been suspended.
    That's after one of its firefighters was arrested on charges of
    raping a 16-year-old girl enrolled in the department's Junior
    Firefighter program.
    Firefighter Bryon Morgan is scheduled for a preliminary hearing
    Wednesday in Sandpoint.
    Morgan is suspected of raping the girl after agreeing to take
    here home after a fire-training session July 20th.
    Priest River City Attorney Phil Robinson said the City Council's
    decision to suspend the volunteer fire department is part of a
    broad review of the department.
    A neighboring fire department is providing service to Priest
    River.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Priest River City Attorney Phil Robinson said the City Council's
    I dont get it, what did they do? Some reasons would always be nice.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

shame a bad apple ruined it for all.

and besides that the town name alone scares me !
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

no comment about the name, but that did cross my mind as well.

I have to ask, if one person allegedly committed the crime, why is the entire department being suspended?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Originally posted by DrParasite
    I have to ask, if one person allegedly committed the crime, why is the entire department being suspended?
    That's what I was going to ask.......

Must be a very very broad review of the FD........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

WOW .................the whole freakin place suspended ? mighty big brush they are paintin with.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

I would think it safe to say this isn't the only issue here.

It will be interesting to see what might come out of this.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

You know what's scary- I was out in the bush on a medic stanby job up north here talking to a chopper pilot between flights and he was telling me a haunting story about a department his wife had tried to volunteer with. A typical old boys club-

The short of it is that she was bitten by the bug, and was totally addicted to it and yet the men on the department worked so hard at running her off they resorted to physical intimidation at an almost gang level.

They eventually succeeded at running her off with such prejudice, she still spits venom at the mention of the fire department. It horrifies me that this type of behavior still happens- and this was in small town Canada. It's shameful-

And yet, then you wonder what (might have) really happened?
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Train Hard, Fight Easy

Forum Member

I'm volunteering at a small, rural department that was desperately in need of members. I did encounter some sexual harrassment, but I dealt with it and it finally came to a halt. I told a friend, who I trusted, he's in another local department and he told me to get used to it, get over it and realize that it is consider NORMAL. It's not normal, in the fire service, at school, a workplace, etc. ANYWHERE. Two people can say the EXACT same thing, but it can be taken differently between the two people... and whenever you become uncomfortable, it's considered inappropriate.

I am going to watch this story, I think it's absolutely horrible that the girl had to go through that, but part of me can say I'm not surprised... I don't think it's reason to suspend the whole department because of one person...
    2005 Pontiac Wave 5 Hatch
    Pontiac... built for drivers

Forum Member

Exclamation

Originally posted by paris04
    I'm volunteering at a small, rural department that was desperately in need of members. I did encounter some sexual harrassment, but I dealt with it and it finally came to a halt. I told a friend, who I trusted, he's in another local department and he told me to get used to it, get over it and realize that it is consider NORMAL. It's not normal, in the fire service, at school, a workplace, etc. ANYWHERE. Two people can say the EXACT same thing, but it can be taken differently between the two people... and whenever you become uncomfortable, it's considered inappropriate.

I am going to watch this story, I think it's absolutely horrible that the girl had to go through that, but part of me can say I'm not surprised... I don't think it's reason to suspend the whole department because of one person...

Paris - It is not acceptable! You do not have to put up with it. Inform your officer, Chief or who ever is in charge of those folks that you were harrass. If he or she doesn't put a stop to it, then you can go forward to someone higher up. Do not let it just go.

In no case, females as well as males DO NOT have to put up with sexual harrassment.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I told the training officer, and he told the deputy who pretty much laughed at me (or was laughing because no one likes the guy that was doing it)... Our chief is never around. And two other officers know about it... He was talking to me on MSN, but the worst stuff was said at the fire hall.

MembersZone Subscriber

As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to sexual harrassment, if you don't do something about it then you're part of the problem. I don't mean go straight to suing. ~disclaimer, I'm not referring to rape, which is alleged in this case...just to harrassment~

An example. I'm not saying that this is "sexual harrassment" - just annoying and idiotic behavior.

A LT of a crew made a comment to one of the other guys in front of me that went something like this "you know, don't you, that your problem is that you don't have a uterus. If you did, this wouldn't even be an issue".

At the time I was too shocked to say anything. But as the night wore on, it really ate at me. My thinking on it was this, he's a Lt with at least three new guys on under him. His attitude is going to have an effect on theirs. I didn't want to have to work with guys that thought I didn't work for everything I had.

The next morning I asked if he had a moment to speak with me. Before I could even open my mouth he apologized.

He went on to tell me that as soon as he said he realized it was the wrong thing to say. He'd gone downstairs (this was at the central fire station which also houses the admin) to the HR guys and told them what he had said! He also stated that he'd a bad day and that even though it wasn't an exuse he wanted me to know that it would never happen again.

I could have skipped him and started problems by going to a BC or even to a lawyer. I could have told a bunch of people what a jerk he was...created tons of strife. Instead, by choosing to handle this like adults and head, on I think that it was dealt with in a manner in which he understood my feelings and I understood his.

He's a great officer, and for him to say something like that was way out of character. He spoke with the crew and everything was smoothed over. We've had a great working relationship since.
    "When you throw dirt, you lose ground."

IACOJ

Forum Member

Well, in my situation it is someone my mom's age asking me about my fetishes, sexual experience, etc. and saying that we need young guys in the fire department with big "hoses" in their pants...

Gross!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by paris04
    Well, in my situation it is someone my mom's age asking me about my fetishes, sexual experience, etc. and saying that we need young guys in the fire department with big "hoses" in their pants...

Gross!!
    Paris, I don't know you so I can't tell you what to do or not to do, but in my case if I wasn't interested in this particular conversation (and of course that depends on the person I'm speaking to ) then you simply tell him that you aren't interested and walk away.

It's pretty simple. I've done it before. A person high up in our union has decided that he wants to have a private meeting with me, if ya know what I mean. He's pressed this point home..~um..coughs..~ every time he sees me. I suppose I should feel flattered (hey, a girl has to take what she can get! ) but I also work with this guy every shift.

So after I couldn't get my desire for him...well, to not to desire me,lol, across in a nice way cuz the subtle hints just weren't working, I just told him, look, I think you're a great guy and a great medic, but you need to cut the crap. He's been fine ever since.

I'm not going to lie, it's not easy to get the courage up to do it (especially when this guy is so powerful) but once you do it, you feel a lot better.

I can joke around with the best of them (actually I've been told I'm worse than the guys, I guess that time in the Navy may have had some effect on my sense of humor, lol) but there are times when things cross the line. If you don't let the guy know it to his face then you're just perpetuating the problem.

IACOJ

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by paris04
    I told the training officer, and he told the deputy who pretty much laughed at me (or was laughing because no one likes the guy that was doing it)... Our chief is never around. And two other officers know about it... He was talking to me on MSN, but the worst stuff was said at the fire hall.

Well, you probably brought it on to yourself.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer
    Well, you probably brought it on to yourself.
    Afterall, she's the one that used the firehouse to meet guys to marry about she dated a few of them, right?

MembersZone Subscriber

Paris, telling people that you spoke with him on MSN does not look good. Nor does it look good when you tell others that you have tried to use the firehouse to meet men if that's what you did indeed say.

There are those that might take what you say the wrong way, here on the forums and in real life. You need to pay attention to what things you share, as there are some things that should remain private. That will stop others from thinking things about you that might not be true - such as that you enjoy having someone asking you about your sex life, or that you brought such action on yourself.

Just some advice.
    Last edited by Emberxx; 08-04-2005 at 06:44 PM.

IACOJ

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue
    Afterall, she's the one that used the firehouse to meet guys to marry about she dated a few of them, right?

You are right. What goes around comes around. If you act like something, folks believe that you are like that!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eno821
    You know what's scary- I was out in the bush on a medic stanby job up north here talking to a chopper pilot between flights and he was telling me a haunting story about a department his wife had tried to volunteer with. A typical old boys club-

The short of it is that she was bitten by the bug, and was totally addicted to it and yet the men on the department worked so hard at running her off they resorted to physical intimidation at an almost gang level.

They eventually succeeded at running her off with such prejudice, she still spits venom at the mention of the fire department. It horrifies me that this type of behavior still happens- and this was in small town Canada. It's shameful-

And yet, then you wonder what (might have) really happened?
    This is still happening, and not just in small towns
    Trust me...
    9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I had a Chief that had to be talked out of certain actions. It's a rotten and unnecessary position to be put in. I paid for his correction with rotten jobs on the line and belittling comments. He's gone because his "I'm invincible, I'm a Chief" attitude finally choked the wrong people. This issue never came up publicly and I'm glad it didn't.
    Last edited by ROOKIELZ; 08-04-2005 at 09:58 PM.
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ROOKIELZ
    I had a Chief that had to be talked out of certain actions. It's a rotten and unnecessary position to be put in. I paid for his correction with rotten jobs on the line and belittling comments. He's gone because his "I'm invincible, I'm a Chief" attitude finally choked the wrong people. This issue never came up and I'm glad it didn't.

Rookielz, I don't understand what you mean here? What happened?

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Forum Member

I do know of instances where women balked at soemthing, claimed sexual harassment, then later recanted. The damage is done though. It is a slippery slope.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber

Jack, the only concern that Ihave is that there should be a way to handle things without losing everyone's repsect. This is if there is in fact some sort of continuous problem that is not going away no matter what...one that you've tried to handle personally, have tried the chain of command and still you haven't been able to get the behavior to stop.

I mean, sure I've had my share of nasty remarks and idiotic comments, but for the most part you consider the source and move on. Or prove them wrong by kicking *** at everything you do.

But if it does get to a point where you feel like nothing is getting done...then you have to have some sort of recourse. It's a horrible feeling to have to say to yourself, "well, this person has made my life a living hell, but if I do anything to stop it then all of the ground that I have won will be lost in an instant." What do you do then?

I have seen a case where it was the HR guy that was doing the harrassing - phone calls at home, phone calls to the person's doctor...daily phone calls to the station. When this is the person you're supossed to go to for these problems...well, you get the drift.

Luckily in this case the Chief got involved. He had been this female's first BC before he became the Chief and he'd seen her work, knew her track record, and knew that she wanted nothing to do with a lawsuit - just this guy off of her back....that was what made the difference. He handled it behind closed doors and most people had no clue anything had gone on at all except those who were stationed with her at the time.
    Last edited by Emberxx; 08-05-2005 at 11:29 AM.

IACOJ

Forum Member

edited for seriousness.

I am sorry for my less than serious comments in what is obviously a very serious discussion.

carry on.
    Last edited by Spectre08; 08-05-2005 at 11:46 AM.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Thread Information