Forum Member

Default Looking for Shift Ideas

I'm part of a Six Man Career Staff with in a Volunteer Company - Our Primary Job is EMS with Fire Supression Duties as needed.

We currentley work with two people on duty from 6am to 6pm four days on and four days off followed by the oppisite tour of 4 and 4.

I work the Night Tour 6pm to 6am Alone from Monday to Thursday and my opposite partener works Friday through Sunday {She's going back to school and on reduced hours} Volunteers complete our ambulance crew between 6pm and 6am with the on duty Career Member

Now here's the problem.....One Day Guy is leaving at the end of the month which will reduce us to 5 with yet another in school after August 31 through December working a modified schedule where she and I will be trading off hours thus creating a few 18 hour shifts and some 6 hour shifts. - What I'm looking for is a schedule that makes more sense than the one we have....At least until we hire another person. - To further the mess both Night Personnel are unable to work days at the current time......Any Ideas ? My Head hurts from constantly bangging it into the wall.

Thanks to anyone that can help

Forum Member

It looks like it's time to hire additional personnel.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Ahh if only it were that easy...I'd love to see 6 on a shift {4 for the engine and 2 for the Ambo.} on a 24/72 schedule -- But working for a Volunteer Company ?

It's an act of congress just to get an open vacancy filled - Our situation hopefully is only temporary as I know interviews will start soon. - Finding Quality People as well as loyal people in my particular area has always been a problem. In my County there is no testing, no physical exam, no oral boards, or physc. evaluation. Just that you be 21 ,Be a Certified NREMT-B, Firefighter Level 1 / II and have basic Working knowledge of a hose and you're in - Eventually these companies get what they pay for.

Thank-You anyway....When I go into work tonight I'll ask the Chief and the President to consider hiring more personnel --- Yeah...we'll get that.

Forum Member

Shift the remaining personnel to working days.
    Use the volunteers to cover the nights and weekends.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

We begin 24-7 coverage on September 1 2005.... 2 personnel in the station ... FF-PM and a FF-EMT-I... we scheduled 2 12 hour shifts... 0700-1900 1900-0700 our pt ff can sign up for the whole 24 (this receives perferance over a 12 hour request) at my ft career job we currently work a 24-a-b-c schedule , but in January we go to 48-96 a-b-c schedule.
    Stay Safe and Keep Low, we all come home, jack.

Forum Member

The company is looking into exactly what you said....We'll end up with three on a shift 6a-6p {2 EMT/FF's , and an Engine Driver} - So making progress at the moment....Volunteer Side of the Company is being forced to finally pull it's weight so we'll see how that goes..

Forum Member

we currently have 6 career guy that run monday through friday 5:30a to 6p. the vollies cover nights and weekends. we are divided into 2 shift a & b. mon, tues and, wed a-shift works. wed, thurs and, fri b-shift works. both shift works on wed this allows us to meet with the other shift train and work on other admin duties. the following week b-shift works mon, tues and wed, a-shift works wed, thur and, fri. so this week I work wed, thurs and, fri, off sat and sun work mon, tues and, wed the following week. then off for six whilie the other shift works and sat/sun. then start the rotation over again.

Forum Member

I like the berkley split shift.
    24 on 24 off 24 on 24 off 24 on 96 off
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

We are on a 24 on 48 off shift here in Kentucky. It is in the KRS for the commonwealth. It is for line personnel, the remainder work a 56 hour work week here, with a few exceptions.

Forum Member

24/72 rules
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Forum Member

Wow, I'm not really sure that the solution to your situation is all that different than the one we are chasing as well....more personnel. My department is a combination suburban dept. We have career, part-time, and paid per call. The career fire/medics man two stations 24/7....one at each station. We cover 15 square miles with a population of 15,000. Our three year average run volume is 2000 per year, mostly EMS but we average 600 fire calls and of those 40 working structure fires a year. The career guys are on a 24/48 rotation on a 48 hour average workweek. The part-timers cover the kelly days and are supposed to cover as a second person at the central station....when they show-up. The paid-per-call people aren't breaking the bank, because they almost never show-up to anything. Obviously we have a problem with discipline as far as the part-time shifts and the paid-per-call, we have made every suggestion under the sun, but they go no where. Our only answer is to go back to the voters to try to increase our revenue. Actually our goal is to up the career staff to 2 per house every shift, which can be done by hiring seven. Anyway, it can't get much more unsafe for us and ultimately for the citizens. Just didn't want you to think you were alone in the staffing and response dilemma!

Forum Member

lt74truckie,

Thanks.....Glad to know I'm not alone out there working for a volunteer company that wears blinders. The company I work for is mainly concerned about it's Ambulance {It makes the money....suprise-suprise} and the our main responsibility is Ambulance Staffing. However I work alone - {Mon.-Thurs. 1800-0600} and our Day Staff is 0600-1800 4 on - 4 off. Our Weekend Nights are covered by our 6th Full timer on a reduced schedule because of nursing school. --- I have it pretty good to a point {Garunteed O.T. @ 96hrs. every pay not including those late runs} No House duties except a little tidying up from time to time and I sleep pretty well as our night volume is pretty low. --- We're where we are today because the Volunteers stopped riding the Ambulance all they want to do is drive and some of them are pretty pitiful.

FIre Company refuses to see the staffing is at a dangerous level. We cover most Fire Responses also because thier turn-out is so low. A Big problem we continue to face is our turn-over. I work in a county served by all Volunteer companies with supplimented Career Staffing in which case people do what we call "Station Hopping" for the usual $1.00 more an hour and so on so just keeping people sometimes is tough. Perhaps someday the Chief's and Presidents will see the light but as with most Volunteer Companies they don't like change. --- Until then I'm just the Night Janitor, EMT, Firefighter or J.E.F.F. --- 18 more years to retirement !!

Thread Information