Thread: Nasa

Forum Member

Default Nasa

Whats happened to NASA? I can recall a time when they were at the cutting edge of technology and effeciancy. They were the pride of a nation. Everything they touched turned to gold. Scores of kids my age wanted to be astronauts. Every kid I knew (me included) had a Saturn V model.

Now it seems everytime I open the fishwrap or turn on the news theres another story of something going wrong, of another problem.

What the hell happened?????
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

From where I sit:

1. Agency/Job justification
    2. Money

Nobody is more pro-space exploration than I am. there have been hundrds of products developed for the common good (including a ton of technology adapted for the fire service) that were originally developed for space. But NASA, lately, seems to be more bent on justifying their jobs and the agency than they do for safety. this is precisely what they were lambasted for doing after Challenger.

Forum Member

Now it seems everytime I open the fishwrap or turn on the news theres another story of something going wrong, of another problem.
    Yeah it does seem that way doesn't it Dave?

I recall an old joke that went:

NASA is a public relations firm which just happens to have a space program.

First, when the shuttle was being conceived there were extraordinary budget cutbacks. This led to the current shuttle program which has never acheived the commercial success of carrying payloads into space the way in which it was sold to Congress.

Add to that 24 hour news coverage where any fault is magnified over and over and we have NASA Version 2005: Explore at Great Peril.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Thread Information