Post 24 hour shifts VS 10/14 shifts

Looking for info on any "paid" "Fulltime" dept. who work 24 hour shifts? Looking for Pro's and Con's to moving from 10/14's to 24's? also if you do work 24's what is the work table (ie. 1 on -3 off)

Thanks

Forum Member

Okotoks Fire works 24 hour shifts. Talk to Eno824 he can probably elaborate on the schedule.
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Forum Member

Eh there. Our guys went from a 10-12 over to a 24 hour almost a year ago I'd say and they do a 24 on off on off on 4 off, in a 3 platoon system. In fact, the 3 platoon system was the reason we went that route. The guys seem to love it because every day is like a Friday. If you try to lay it out on a calendar to see how it works out, it doesn't work unless you put A shift starting mid week... just a little hint on that.

It's been great for us and the guys seem to really like it. Hope that helps.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Train Hard, Fight Easy

Forum Member

We work 24/72 here in St John's, as do several other Depts in Canada, including Halifax and Moncton. I don't really see and negatives to this system, other then the fact you only get one full weekend (Fri,Sat,Sun) per month.

You can find an existing discussion on this subject Here
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Forum Member

Default 24 hr

Has there been any problems with family trying to get time away on weekends in the summer months? It would seem to me that you may only get one family weekend all summer if the shift falls in the wrong time spots. This could make a spouse pretty upset if he/she works Mon. to Fri.
    Can anybody with the real life experience comment on this. My department is looking into this 24 schedule so i would like to know what we are up against.

MembersZone Subscriber

We work 24 on 48 off. Right now we have five week kelly days, but we are going to three week kelly's...I think in April of next year. As far as days off go, not really a problem. Vacation days are done by time in service and we can have a certain amount off from each BCs/Medics/Officers...not only that but if you need a day off and vacation is full swap time is always an option.

Don't know if that's what you're looking for...
    "When you throw dirt, you lose ground."

IACOJ

Forum Member

Default 24 hour shifts

I work a 24 hour on and 48 hour off at the City of Gaffney in South Carolina. As far as I know everyone in South Carolina works 24's and I feel it is a good system. If I take one day off I actually get 5 straight days without work. The only thing negative about 24's is the fact that you are at the station for 24 straight away from family.

Another positive about 24's is the way that our vacation works. In most business' you only get a full month of vacation after about 15 years. In the 24 hour shift system, our department gives you 10-15 days a year depending on your seniority. (10-15 days is a month to month and a half in 24 time) We only work 10-11 days a month so do the math on that one.

The other positive has already been covered by the other letters to you. Swap time is a program you pretty much need for the 24 hour shift to work. You can only allow so many people off but with swap time you can swap an hour out or you can swap a full twenty four hours with an employee on another shift. We have swap time paper work to fill out, where each person signs that they are trading places for the day.

I think your whole crew will be happy with a 24 hour shift it is really a good deal.

Forum Member

Thumbs down 24 vs 10/14

I work the (D-10/N-14) 4on-4off system and I like it alot. Y is it that you want a 24hr. Unless your a very busy Department I cant see the 24hr shift being a benefit. Unless you just want the more time off. Any way I know that Niagara falls Fire (canada) work a 24 hr shift..

Forum Member

One question I have yet to hear an answer for is how do the departments provide for relief when crews are getting their asses kicked? At my station we have done 70 calls in a 24 hr period. We work 10 and 14 and it can be painful on a 34 call night. I couldn't imagine 24 hours of that crap.
    Sometimes, in order to make an operation idiot proof, you must remove the idiot!

Forum Member

Default 24/48 making fire fighter pay

Making so little money is hard on all of us fire fighters. For this reason, we must find all the best deals. For instance; phone service. If you want the most valuable phone service on the market today, then please go to www.dovervoip.i-fortuity.com and look at what a great deal we have there.
    Call any where in the US from any internet connection for only $9.95 a month.

Default 24

24 on (jan 1st) then 48 off
    24 on 7days off
    24 on 24 off
    24 on 48 off
    24 on 48 off
    24 on 48 off
    24 on 5 days off
    24 on (jan 29th) off for 48

one month work usually 8 days. 4 platoon system so some months are 7 days.
    i have 2 kids both under 5 wife works days and it works perfect for us.
    rescue runs approx 3000 calls a year so not much but when i am at other halls that run double that its still a wicked shift

Default 24 hour shift

hope the attachment worked
    Attached Images Attached Images

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool 24hr shift

I've been working 24/72 for over 20 years, and i can't find anything negative
    towards it. Unless your station averages more than 10 runs a day, you can't beat it.
    If you want a week off in the summer, you trade a shift.

Reliance

Red face 24 hour shift

We work 24/72 and it's great especially if you want a long weekend you just switch with the opposing shift.

You can get a lot done in your 72 hours off especially around the house.

Default 24

We work 24/48

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm curious, does anyone have a list of departments working a 24h shift? In both Canada and the US.

I know Toronto and Mississauga are on trial plans, Windsor, Moncton and Halifax work 24h.

Anyone have a list somewhere?

Default 24 hours

London Ontario has been on 24s from the old 10/14 since 1996. It is definitely the choice of the majority but there are some who hate it. They made the change to save money on staffing for vacation time as they had one shift that spanned 72 hours and one that had 40 hours, but each was considered a shift for vacation purposes. This made it necessary to have staffing levels to accomodate, and the 24's evened things out.

Default Help...lol..

Ok, so i work for a small department that is going through some issues right now and we are looking for solutions. Right now we work 12's. there are only a total of 7 pais staff here including cheif. right now we have just lost a captin and are loosing another engineer. we work with one engineer on from 0700-1900. then the next guy comes on from 1900-0700. The night guy works the dispatch center every night, dispatching for police, fire and ems... we answer the 911, page it out, then we run to the rig and respond and rely on volunteers to show up for assistence.... Not to safe sounding huh...? Anyways the delima we face is because we are short staffed, and we really dont like to dispatch, we wanna get out of it. I thought of working the modified kelly, 24 on,24 off, 24 on,24 off, 24 on, 4 days off. im not sure what sugestions to make to cheif or what options their are....? and we are a fairly busy dept running approx 1500 calls a years. Any suggestions?

Reliance

We are on 24 off 72 with 2 paid firefighters and a dispatcher per shift.

The dispatcher answers the call from 911 or direct and sends the 2 on duty staff and if more is needed he pages for volunteers.

The dispatcher does not leave his post for 24 hours.

Forum Member

I work at 24/48. I love the extra time off that I didn't have when I was working 12 hour shifts. I wouldn't go back to any other shift other than 24's. My wife might divorce me. A buddy of mine works a modified LA schedule which is 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 48 off, 24 on, 4 days off. He really likes this schedule.
    Firefighter II/EMT-Intermediate, ECFR, NC

"I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but who we know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. Under the impulse of such thoughts, the nobility of the occupation thrills us and stimulates us to deeds of daring, even of supreme sacrifice."
    Chief Edward F. Crocker, FDNY

Member IACOJ

Default Looking for shift calenders

Our department is investigating 24hr shifts, and will be puting together an information package for our crews. I'm trying to gather different shift calenders to compare them. If possible, could anyone send an attatchment of their calender to bprovencal@cogeco.ca.

Thanks, Brian

Post 24 vs. 10/14

Anyone with info on pros and cons of 24hr shifts or links where I may find it? Please foward the info my way that would be useful on deciding whether to go to a 24hr shift or not thanks. g.wiebe@firehousemail.com

Forum Member

Thumbs up 24 Hr. shifts

In our Dept. we worked the 10/14 when I started, in 2004 we negotiated a change to a 24 hr. shift. If memory serves me correctly, the floor voted them in by a very slim margin. It was agreed, between the corporation and the association, that we would proceed for a one year trial period with the understanding that, there would be systems put in place that would allow either party to opt out of the trial. The City were to look at training issues and sick time among other things, the association basically had an out if the members did not like or want the 24 hr. shifts. Low and behold, after the first year the corporation had little or no data, so we were able to extend to a second year trial, at this time the membership voted nearly 90% in favor to continue with the trial. However, after the second year, it was negotiating time again and the City, with no facts took them away. So we went back to the 10/14, from Jan.06 to the end of 2007. Starting in Jan.08 we were able to get the 24 hr shifts back, this time for at least a three year trial. They may not work for every Dept. but I know most here are looking foreward to them!!
    Last edited by twenty2go; 01-05-2008 at 10:25 PM. Reason: typo!!

Thread Information