Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: E-One ?

Default E-One ?

Hello All,

My Dept. is looking into a new E-One pumper anybody have any comments on their apparatus good or bad?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Stay Safe

Talking OOOHH NNOOOOOO~!!!!

Look out Margret, here it comes...........

LOL!!
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

MembersZone Subscriber

In todays market just about all of the major companies put out the same crap.
    Within the last 5 years departments I work for or neighbor us have purchased: E-One, Pierce, ALF, Seagrave, Crimson etc. Everyone has had some problems and everyone has had some successes.

I like Pierce so when our tower was in service for 50 days out of 365 I would defend them as best I could. The rig is OK now and I like it better then our E-One tower. If you run a search you'll see that firefighters have their favorites and will defend that company. When it comes down to it they are all about the same.
    Their is nothing wrong with an E-One and it will provide 20 + years of service for you.

Forum Member

Default My 2 Cents. . .

I would have to agree that most Manufactures produce quality trucks. Above and beyond a good solid spec for the builder to work from and you believing in there guidance on what they can and should build is your dealer support.

If you purchase a solid unit built around common sense uses and have a strong dealer to work with before and MOST IMPORTANTLY after the sale you will be in good shape.

If I were in your shoes I'd spend some significant time researching your area dealer's history. How long have they carrier this line. Hisrotically, who else if any have they sold for and then dropped. How large is the local dealer orangization. Who is going to service work on this truck when it has problems (they all have problems). If you don't get some solild (take to the bank answers) you should keep looking.

Good Luck

P.S. - My Dept. ordered an E-One HP75 in April should be here around the first of the year.
    GB

Default Re: E-One ?

Originally posted by AJM108
    Hello All,

My Dept. is looking into a new E-One pumper anybody have any comments on their apparatus good or bad?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Stay Safe

Hey Pal, do us and your self a favor and do a search on this toopic.

I can tell you up front that E-One along with KME's are JUNK!!!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Talking

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, I LOVE SUTPHENS, BLAH, BLAH,BLAH
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

Forum Member

Lightbulb It all depends on representation...

You're going to get people who hype their own stuff and bash the crap out of others.

For the most part, the big manufacturers all make decent vehicles and they all have pros and cons. The bigger issue is that ALL vehicles will eventually have some type of problem. In my area, E-One has a good dealer and they stand by their product. But that may not be the case everywhere. My best advice is to ask some neighboring depts about their experiences with different dealerships. Try to stick with a dealer that does their own service and is close. The ones that sub out their warranty work are the ones I'd stay away from.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default E-One

I have had to good fortune to purchase several pumpers and ladders over my 29 years. I have been able to do this for different departments with different needs.

I helped design and spec the engine and ladder for a distillery. E-ONE built both. I would have to rate it average. Primarily due to the complicated nature of each rig. Foam, Dry Chemical and large water!

I have bought basic rural pumpers and pumper tankers from Ferrara (2), Central States (1), Elite (1). All have served well. It really boils down to who will build what you want and the relationship you have with the manufacturer, dealer and the rep. We really place a lot on what your gut tells you.

I am about to bid four more pumper/tankers and it looks like the committees want Ferrara, Elite and E-One to bid.

Hope this helps.

Forum Member

Wink might as well

The last e-one's we ever bought were either 94 or 96 and that is the last time ever again. They were new and sat here as reserves due to relaiabilty as front line.

MembersZone Subscriber

And I'm sure that the Spartan/3D and Pierce rigs in use at the time in LVFD were problem free and perfect in every respect?
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

1995 E-One pumper was the last engine we purchased. We also have a 1991 E-One Teleboom. That will be replaced by another E-One engine in 2010. No complaints with the trucks at all. Both run with no problems. 95 has a small A/C leak but that is only a problem in summer. Local dealer is fantastic.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Talking station2

E-gads station2 how did you know about our infamous 3D's? Oh yeah they had problems no doubt and the 3D head guy wishes he had never gotten started on those rear engine monsters. Poor design and engineering mostly. The Pierce units we had then which were 89 and 90 models were working just fine thank you. Much less trouble when Pierce was Pierce. Maybe E-One has changed since we bought but I am a Pierce fan in spite of the fact that I still have issues there too. Everyone has their favorite and every builder has their problems and everyone will experience some kind of headache with something. If you get it the way you want it, the dealer treats you good and the after sales service is great then there are no problems and whatever you buy with that in mind will make you loyal.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Lvwrench

No problem about the Pierces. I agree with you, if it works for you, the service is acceptable and you like them, then keep buying them. As for the previous 3D and Pierce comment, I was just busting you chops. Every department has their issues with their varying rigs. Here it was Seagrave pumpers and the 9 Pierce Dash rigs were well liked by the crews. They were the best Seagraves that Pierce ever built. LOL. So sayeth the local Pierce dealer after they were delivered.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

Ha.. as far as I'm concerned, I'm not a big fan of E-Ones. We mostly run E-Ones and they just seem to be poorly built. Just simple things that they don't pay attention to... like the doors are a bitch to try and close all the way. You practically have to slam the door in order to get it closed 100%. Also, never expect to be cool in the rear. The A/C sucks in it.. and the wonderful windows! Oh.. don't get me started about the rear windows! What is up with putting a sliding window on the back doors, THEY SUCK! There is no way that you'll ever get enough air flow in the rear with their crappy sliding windows! Good Luck, just don't expect to be comfortable in the rear.. and be prepared to slam doors like no other! (those are my unimportant gripes!)

FTMPTB15, sliding windows on an engine? Who spec'd those? I've never had a truck with exterior sliding windows.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I'm not sure who spec'd them, they were there when I got there, but THEY SCUK! Hands down the most UNPRACTICAL thing on the entire truck. Obviously.. they were also the cheapest.

My experience has been limited to E- one and Pierce... my industrial station recently took delivery of a pierce 4x4 1050 pump and while I've looked in these forums and seen on the polls that Pierce is a heavy favourite, I just don't see it. E-one... well- we do have a bit of trouble at my community hall with the doors popping out of their secondary latches... it's like they're going to pop right open... they don't but it's pretty disconcerting... and we do have some trouble with electronics but that's all standard through most manufacturers. I think both are good, but both could be better. I'm partial to our "big red 1" but then I've been working it for 2 years and the Pierce has only been around a couple weeks. On top of it, they piggy backed our Pierce with another that was exactly like it so we could get it on time- so we never spec'd the truck ourselves. I've got to say, I'm kind of surprised they let it roll out of the factory set up the way it was. But, to that end... someone asked me what I thought of the Pierce the other day, and I said words to the effect "as long as it gets water to the guys that need it, I don't care." Last time I checked, windows weren't going to inhibit that.

MembersZone Subscriber BVFD1983's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    FTMPTB15, sliding windows on an engine? Who spec'd those? I've never had a truck with exterior sliding windows.
    Our 1997 Pierce Dash has them.

The whole engine is one messed up deal...

We have a 93 and a 94 E-Ones on Freight Shaker FL80s - been good trucks, still look new

They still meet/exceed pump capacity during pump test

only two real ongoing issues - inverters (pushed in the early 90s in our area) suck and tend to go bad

the door latches sometimes stick open, especially when you open them during freezing rain (really a freight shaker problem)

Great E-one dealership in our area, and they also are willing to perform pump test on our older, non e-one rigs (home builts)

the right dealership is a huge factor

MembersZone Subscriber

We have an 2003 E-One Tradition pumper 1250/1250 poly, top mount, mounted on an Int 4300 chassis. Foam Pro 2002 dual sytem a/b foam. OnSpot tire chains. Have had zero problems with it in the 3 years we have had it. Works great for our department, local dealer is awsome, E-One was great thru the entire purchasing process.

Would purchase from E-One again in a minute.

Just my 2 cents.

Thread Information