Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910
    Forum Member

Bossair - how can we contact you?

Currently doing air pack evaluations - and the more info I can get the better.
    PM me if you would like.
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Captain Gonzo, a question, as we have just switched to the AP-50s with all their gizmo's in the last few months, are you having any problems with the slotted rings on the waist mounted regulator holder? Of the 20 packs I got, 4 or 5 have come off with the mask, unnoticed by the user until they try to put the regulator on the mask and the "locking" ring is still attached. Guys aren't putting the regulator on the holder anymore and they are getting beat up swinging around. I'm waiting to hear back from my local dealer.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    Captain Gonzo, a question, as we have just switched to the AP-50s with all their gizmo's in the last few months, are you having any problems with the slotted rings on the waist mounted regulator holder? Of the 20 packs I got, 4 or 5 have come off with the mask, unnoticed by the user until they try to put the regulator on the mask and the "locking" ring is still attached. Guys aren't putting the regulator on the holder anymore and they are getting beat up swinging around. I'm waiting to hear back from my local dealer.
    Bones... we haven't had any problems as you describe.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    Bones:

We have had this problem in the past. We have been using the regulator mounts for several years (since they were intorduced) now and I have replaced less than 10 over the years. In examining the problem, the problem is not with the mount, it is with the personnel. After use, they replace the regulator and do not seat the regulator into the mount completly. When they twist the regulator it causes stress to the mount and when removing the regulator the mounting ring comes out with the regulator.

Hope this helps. It is all a matter of training.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

We originally had MSA, you know the ones with the large hose from reg. to mask, then we got some ISI which we had pretty good luck with until they had a ****ing match with their face piece manufacture then we started going back to MSA which are nice, and a few years ago we switched to entirely to MSA, have no problem getting parts we keep certain parts for the face mask on station for repairs and order anything else we need, big problem we have now and is being taken care from MSA is the plastic around the mounting srew for the heads up display on the mask is cracking, other then that extremely nice SCBA's. And also for the point thank you can use them under water, thats fine, but you'll probably need a few guys to hold you down anyway.
    Last edited by djgilbert32; 10-02-2006 at 08:10 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber Firefighter1219's Avatar

Four people from my department took a Draeger Level II Tech class a while back. We brought some malfunctioning packs with us so that the instructor (a Draeger developer) could look at them. The sentinels were displaying a goofy code that wasn't in the book, so we got them shipped to Miami to get fixed. A few weeks later, we had them back with new Sentinels, FOR FREE! We've had the packs around 3 years.

I don't remember the gentlemen's name, but he told everyone that he wants us to be satisfied with our products and that he will do whatever it takes to make that happen and that our problems will be solved. He's not a salesman, so it wasn't a sales pitch.

I'm now a Draeger Level II Tech and I can tell you that they are pretty easy to work on if that's a perk to you.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Not a perk for me,we get the same support from our dealer.In MY OPINION,our packs are just as easy to service as a Drager,and outside of annual bench tests we haven't had to do anything to them anyway.Bossair brought up some good points:I'll address a couple of them.Yes we keep records of repair on our packs.The most commonly replaced part is the little plastic latch clip on the regulator which rounds off over time.Every five years or so you will probably have to replace a regulator diaphram.Yes,we have brand loyalty but it isn't "blind"loyalty.It is developed over many years of dependable service with minimal maintence costs.There is no logical reason at this time to even consider another brand.To do so would be big dollars for what gain? We stock parts for items that can routinely get damaged (like facepieces),O-rings and the like.Our dealer comes up one a year and benches the packs in house so we're never "OOS":. Takes care of any bottle hydros at the same time.One stop shopping,so to speak. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber fieldseng2's Avatar

MembersZone Subscriber

Samson, I was told by a high-ranking chief from Miami-Dade Fire Rescue, that they were switching to Scott Air-Paks in the near future. This chief cited the potential incompatibility issues they have with mutual aid to neighboring departments, Scott's SEMS accountability system, and the fact that Draeger has some details that are very different from other SCBA's such as the regulator being found on the left side, and low air breathing line on the right side, in addition Draeger's style of cylinder connection was also mentioned.

Forum Member

Default Chief

Looking for any dept. or firefighter needing Scott 4500 psi 30 min. NXG2 tanks manufactured 08-2005, we have 8 still new in the box.

Forum Member

Default fireman601

HI FIREMAN601,

I was wondering if you might conisder donating them to us. WE are a new start up department in rural WV and in need of some air packs. We would like to stay with the scott due to the rest of the cuutny using them. If this is a possiblly please email me at bferris01@hotmail.com Assistant Chief 7 Bakerton Volunteer Fire.

Brian

PS or if you can work us a good deal let me know, thanks

Happy Holidays

Exclamation Scott Air Packs

As I read all of this it amazes me as what qualifies as a "sucks" or not. With several years in this business it is scary on how some departments make thier purchasing desicions. What some departments think is important is actualy totaly irrelevant. Only time will tell if the decision was correct or not and unfortunately few will ever admit it when it was not. With Scott, Globe, Bullard, TFT as part of my product line I have nothing to appologize for when suppling my products to a FD. The biggest thing is how department are misslead by information on lesser quality products and they fall for it. Believe me I know that sales people in this industry are not always honest, however in regards to Scott I have alway seen common sense and staight foward information that any FD can trust.
    They know first hand every possible problem or situation that a FD will encounter and have an answer for that. They also quickly acknowledge any problems with packs and correct them. As an example the "cracked" face piece issue was with the lense bezel. This crack was not effecting the seal to the face, nor would the face piece fall off. When this crack is noticed the local dealer is fully prepared to correct with out cost. Most of the information you see or hear is third or fourth hand and lacking accuracy. There is always important information that FDs seam to leave out of the conversation. Let keep it relevent guys.

Thread Information