Forum Member

Default Should this result in criminal charges?

I saw this on the news earlier today
    http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/...77/detail.html

Woman Blames Newspaper Typo For Apartment Theft
    Ad In Lawrence Paper Had Wrong Address

POSTED: 5:15 pm CDT August 1, 2005
    UPDATED: 5:53 pm CDT August 1, 2005

LAWRENCE, Kan. -- A Lawrence woman who had her possessions stolen blames the city's newspaper.

Kris Bryan said the Lawrence Journal-World printed a mistake in a street address, causing her apartment to be cleaned out by thieves.

Bryan told KMBC's Donna Pitman that she returned home after work and saw strangers loading up her belongings into their vehicle. When she asked what they were doing, they showed her a classified ad in the newspaper. The public notice stated that all things at 1319 Tennessee St., Apt. 3 would be thrown away if unclaimed.

"It was just a real shock!" Bryan said. "I was freaking out. I told them that's my apartment -- there's been some mistake." Pitman reported that it was a one-digit mistake -- the newspaper ad should have read 1339 Tennessee St. The ad was placed because a woman in that home passed away and no one had claimed her belongings.

Bryan said the people she confronted returned her things, but unfortunately, her TV, DVD player, movies, furniture and a 7-week-old kitten had already been taken from her apartment..

"I was crying, bawling," Bryan said.

She said she wants the newspaper to pay $3,500 for the stolen items, but that can't replace her lost kitten.

"Sometimes you can't get away with your mistake, especially when someone gets hurt because of them," Bryan said.

Copyright 2005 by TheKansasCityChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Should the newspaper be charged criminaly due to the fact that their actions lead to criminal actions?

Plus can the individuals that took the items be charged with a crime because if you recieve stolen items and dont know that it is stolen, in most states you are still held responsible for the crime.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

Wow!! What a mess. I think she should be able to get a lot more than $3500 for the stuff!!!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I my self would request a written appology and a live news appology and 3.3million in damages.

I would love to se a newspaper try to fight this in court and get shredded by the public.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

Typos are a common occurance.

How did the people get in to get the stuff? Did she leave her doors unlocked? Did her landlord let the people in?

By the way mikey...

Copyright 2005 by TheKansasCityChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed
    You appear to have violated the copyright laws of the KansasCityChannel.com by redistributing the information they had on their website.

May be they will sue you for $3.3 million for copyright infrinement...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Wrong address or no wrong address, who in the hell just walks up to a vacant apartment and takes stuff without express permission? INCLUDING A KITTEN!

IMO, Her beef should be with the thieves, not the paper.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Maybe the people who "took" her things will see the article and find it within their hearts to return her possessions and kitten (yes I still believe in the good of human kind). Gonz, I too wondered how they got into her apartment. I don't see how there could be criminal charges brought up for a mistake (I can see the journalists and ad writers being a lot more diligent in proofing after this), but the paper should certainly compensate her/be held liable for her loss.

What a horrible thing to find when you get home!! At least those that she confronted readily gave back her things.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Originally posted by mcaldwell
    Wrong address or no wrong address, who in the hell just walks up to a vacant apartment and takes stuff without express permission? INCLUDING A KITTEN!

IMO, Her beef should be with the thieves, not the paper.
    But are they really thieves? They were mislead by an erroneous ad.

I would be very interested in seeing what the original ad stated. I agree most people wouldn't just walk into a vacant place, BUT someone let these people in, I doubt this woman just left her door unlocked. I am wondering if someone showed the ad to the caretaker/super of the apartment and he/she upon seeing the address let them in. Definite ball droppage on a lot of fronts here...... will be interesting to see the outcome.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I will agree Jenn, that if someone let them in then that person is the one to go after (if she left her apartment unlocked, then she gets a large part of the blame here too). But again, I can't even fathom how just walking up to an appartment with a newpaper clipping would get you in. Is there really a landlord or super around who is that stupid? If so, I would sure as hell not rent in his building.

Mistakes are made every day in the news industry. When you print a paper with hundred of thousands of letters, there is no way to be totally accurate. When a newspaper fails to verify a story, or slanders a person without fact checking, then by all means call your lawyer. But in this case, I honestly can't see very much responsibility on behalf of the paper for misprinting one number on an address. If they printed the address of your yard sale wrong, would you sue them for all your lost revenue?

The crucial errors came after the "innocent" mistake. At any point along the way here, there were multiple opportunities for any reasonable person to stop this from occuring. Somebody obviously screwed up, but the paper was not the fatal mistake.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Ya know if this wasn't so sad for this lady it would almost be funny ...... you almost expect Ashton Kucher to jump out yelling "YOU'VE BEEN PUNK'D!!", or to hear "You're on Candid Camera".

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Well, it seems that alot of people post complete text articles on here. And arnt all AP articles copyrighted???

If they misprinted one number and all of my belongings were removed from my residence I dont even want to go into what I would do.

Another opinion: Newspapers need to start taking responsibility for misprinting info. Period!
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

Forum Member

Another opinion: Newspapers need to start taking responsibility for misprinting info. Period!
    They do have to take responsibility - it has happened before. They will settle with her in short order.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Default Back on topic

She has one hell of a civil case!!!!!!!!!!
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Captain Gonzo
    Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

See? it happens all the time!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information