Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Wink Do I meet the crust factor?

For those that are interested-this was taken at Woodside Fire Station, when I was 10 ft tall and bulletproof (or so I thought) and knew it all--sound familiar?
    I had the grand total of 7 months in the job,this included 8 weeks basic training at Southwark training School, and I was driving "on the bell" (no two tones then) to fires--this was in 1962.
    The machine is a F101, petrol, straight 8 Rolls Royce powered Dennis Pump Escape carrying a 50ft wheeled Escape ladder. Went like a scalded cat. As you may apreciate Nomex was a fair bit off and female firefighters were not even a lipstick smudge on the horizon--altho they were allowed in the control room.
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Post Oops!

Just cannot get the hang of putting the picture in!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Crustier than year old bread

Yeah, you meet the crust factor.. sad note is I wasn't even born let alone thinking about a career in the 'Brigade' at that time.

I love those appliances, especially the wheeled escapes.. however, the only item I can relate personally to is the electric bell.. when I started out in '83, the reserve apparatus we used to get in place of our Angus still had a bell, they retrofitted an electric two tone (read waste of time, we could holler louder). Whenever we'd get a shout using the old appliance, that bell would start ringing even before the station doors were all the way up!

Wow...not only was I not born - but I think my Mom was like...12,lol!

But it is a pretty cool pic! ~s~ I'm sure you could teach us uncrusted ones quite a bit
    Last edited by Emberxx; 08-02-2005 at 04:42 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

So crusty I gotta stop typin and get a drink! Way to go Bro!

God bless and pull the ceiling as you go.

It appears that your layer of crust has grown it's own layer of crust. I would have loved to hear the roar of a Rolls straight eight!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber SteveDude's Avatar

H,
    Anyone who retired before I joined is as crusty as a crusty thing. I was watching Guys like you at fires while I was still a snot nosed kid.

Part of the History and Tradition of the LFB....and never to be forgotten Bruv!!!!

Good Health and Long Life!!!
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Wink Tad burnt round the edges.

Aw shucks fella's your kind words are too much--thank you for the sentiment. Gonzo-they SCREAMED at full rev's (and believe me we gave them full wellie) brakes were useless tho. Ember -I do not think I could teach anyone the ways and wherefores of the modern service, been away too long--Steve Dude would be well qualified in that area.
    The only teaching I would preach, is find a couple of role models--pick out the best qualities in each of them, adapt and adjust, then clone yourself into that firefighter.
    That was the advice given to me way back, when "getting stoned" meant some rotten barstewards had thrown rocks at you.

As you may gather-Still miss the job but above all I miss the people at the sharp end.

Full Wellie==I think you call it pedal to the metal?
    Last edited by Tooanfrom; 08-02-2005 at 06:05 PM.

Ember -I do not think I could teach anyone the ways and wherefores of the modern service, been away too long

Hmmm, Tooanfrom - I could be wrong, but In my opionion there's a heck of a lot about the service that will never change. That includes the value of experience. I would love to hear some of the stories you must have. Regardless of innovations - at the end of the day, you still put the wet stuff on the red stuff.
    "When you throw dirt, you lose ground."

IACOJ

Thumbs up Its their story

Ember-I won't bore you with what was my learning curve back when I came into the job. But what I will try to convey is the types of men that you had to try to measure up alongside.Release of the troops at the end of WW2 had supplied the top up of men required to replace firefighters killed in action/injured during the Blitz.
    These men were all under 30 so if you do the math-roundabout 1960 the LFB were doing a big recruiting drive. Some of the guys I served with (and right proudly served) were people like Dickie Finch and comrades all Blitz firefighters--some of the stories of the size of fires were unbelievable--but all too true.
    Ex Sub Mariners (Bob Cherry) Parachute Regiment(Nick Carter) captured at Arnhem ("Whacker" Payne)-RN torpedoed in the Atlantic.
    (Jim Boniface) Liberated one of the Holocaust concentration camps and drove a bulldozer burying the bodies. Ex Royal Guardsmen/Commando's/Special Ops--you get the picture all extremely "hard" men--this is what sometimes makes me chuckle when I see some of the posts especially Explorer/Junior stuff all whining about blue lights-he said, she said..Can you imagine what would be the result if they could go back to my beginnings and try it with those guys? If only!

Enuff of my grumpy old man mode--do what ya can wiv wot yer got.

I love grumpy ol men, especially ones who wear bunker gear!

I would imagine that you learned early on not to whine about the things that didn't matter. But you are certainly not boring me. I wish I could have met those men, but instead, feel free to tell tales!

"When you throw dirt, you lose ground."

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Tooanfrom how many years did you serve? By the way if you are every in south Louisiana you are always welcome at my station.

Thumbs up Nice invite

Originally posted by Acklan
    Tooanfrom how many years did you serve? By the way if you are every in south Louisiana you are always welcome at my station.
    Thank you for your invitation--would love to do that someday. I served for 20 yrs in the LFB mostly in what was known as Southern Command and apart from a short time in the old "B" Div spent the rest in "H" div south of the River.Us Londoners have a bit of rivalry going on, you know the sort of thing--"North of the river? You lot live in mud huts, etc" All good hearted stuff-no animosity. I would have finished up doing another 10 yrs if the Brixton Race riots had not reared its ugly head. My training school buddy was killed due to this event and that was the catalyst for me emigrating over here.

Amongst my qualifications are obviously B.A -Proto and compressed air.
    E.T Emergency Tender Class "A"-- Driver and crew member
    Turntable Ladders Mechanical and Hydraulic-- Driver /operator.
    Even went on a "Atomic Warfare" course at Moreton in Marsh--God alone knows what we were supposed to do in the event of a I.C.B.M hitting London--bend over and kiss our butt goodbye?

Talking Multi tasked personnel

To clarify my last post.I am not sure if the same applies in the States, but all LFB firefighters are multi tasked.Or were ! You may be riding the Pump or driving it-same applies to the Pump Escape. Crewing the ET (six riders plus OIC and pilot--but due to restraints 4 riders plus OIC and driver-Steve Dude can tell you what it is now)Its a bit like the S.A.S all the members can do all jobs--if anybody "falls over" the others fill in. I was one of the few remaining guys able to operate the old Metz Magirus Mechanical Ladders--which was a P.I.T.A.--if a set of Hydraulic Ladders came off the run due to defect--they would drag a Mechanical set out of mothballs, and yours truly would have to go and operate them.I will endeavor to send a pic of Croydons old Ladders--but don't hold yer breath! When I started " playing" with them I was issued with a set of leather gauntlets, and one pair of Mk 3 Spitfire type goggles--open cabs in the middle of a British winter ain't for the delicate natured type.
    Hopefully a photo of the Ladders will follow in next posting.
    Last edited by Tooanfrom; 08-04-2005 at 04:03 AM.

Default Croydons Ladders

As you may have gathered by now --poota's ain't my strong point!
    These particular set of Ladders(built in 1937-taken out of service late 1970) saw duty right through the Blitz in WW2--very unforgiving to operate-if you trained them in any direction,up down or sideways,and did not take the power off, they would either knock over or wrap themselves round whatever got in the way! Personally I liked them-the later hydraulic ladders are idiot proofed-impact stops etc. With these buggers you had to know what you were doing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tooanfrom; 08-04-2005 at 04:43 AM.

Thread Information