Thread: Does it Matter?

Forum Member

Default Does it Matter?

In the never ending battle for firefighters to get respect from local, state, and national officials, as well as citizens, one point comes up that might be a bit of a touchy subject.

Believe it or not there are reporters who read through these threads as well as officials from cities, towns, and states. In order to further enhance the professionalism that firefighters deserve it might be (once again) time to point out that when a subject is written about it should be done so in the hopes that it can be understood.

I will use myself as an example of someone who is careless with spelling. Is it a big deal? No. Does it matter as to the overall view of the fire service? Yes.

Doing the job should be enough and for many it is but for those who know that despite protests to the contrary image does matter it would help if people paused just a second prior to sending off a post. Can it be deciphered? Is your name misspelled?

Without pointing to the thread there is one where the issue is serious but the initial post is beyond just spelling errors. A reporter that I know from that state made a remark about the post - and it was difficult for me to defend it.

I am going to try and do a better job - I will no doubt make mistakes but at least trying shows a serious concern for how we all look.
    Last edited by JackTee09; 08-02-2005 at 04:03 PM.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

AMEN. When in doubt, cut and paste into a Word Document, blank e-mail, or another program where spelling errors can be fixed...So it takes a few seconds more, at least it's accurate.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by DianeC
    AMEN. When in doubt, cut and paste into a Word Document, blank e-mail, or another program where spelling errors can be fixed...So it takes a few seconds more, at least it's accurate.
    Or better yet . . .

ieSpell is a free Internet Explorer browser extension that spell checks text input boxes on a webpage. It should come in particularly handy for users who do a lot of web-based text entry (e.g. web mails, forums, blogs, diaries). Even if your web application already includes spell checking functionality, you might still want to install this utility because it is definitely much faster than a server-side solution. Plus you get to store and use your personal word list across all your applications, instead of maintaining separate ones on each application.

http://www.iespell.com/

I have this installed on every computer I use (Home, Work, Station) and it's a god send.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

I agree DianeC

N2DFire:

Do you know of something similiar for Firefox?
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber

Believe it or not there are reporters that read through these threads

Hmmm...this one is almost too easy, lol. Wasn't there just something about a misprint and houseful of belongings?

~Grinz..

But, yes, I think being professional and spelling words correctly might go a long way towards aiding our appearance.
    Last edited by Emberxx; 08-02-2005 at 06:15 PM.
    "When you throw dirt, you lose ground."

IACOJ

Thread Information