Thread: Assaults..

Forum Member

Default Assaults..

Saw this in the paper today and was curious on how many of guys have reocurring problems similar to this in your area? The Nation EMS Board records an annual 700,00 assaults on EMTs and Medics alone.

Still looking for the article online, once I find it I will post.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Rescuepimp - not sure about what the article says, but in our department alone there's been several cases of assault on firefighters by pt's and bystanders.

The one that comes to mind most readily is the guy who was in an MVC - apparently he was on "medication" ~coughs~ at the time and was unresponsive. He was strapped onto a backboard and put into the rescue truck where they started to do IV's on him. One ff/medic on one side and someone on the other. Well, the guy comes to, pulls the iv's out, is spurting blood everywhere (got in thier faces) and then proceeds to start whaling on them both. All of this while still attached to the board!

The person on the bench seat side was able to get out quickly, but the guy on the other side was trapped by the stretcher and got stuck. Eventually the police were able to solve the situation and the medics made it out with only some scratches and bruises - But - The moral of this story is that you can never be too cautious.

We have also had rescue trucks that have been shot at - several times - but that's another story.
    "When you throw dirt, you lose ground."

IACOJ

Forum Member

I still cant find the article, will type it up and post. But, there was one call reference, and I know the guy too, he responded top a report of a 16 y/o stab victim, unconcious in the street. Whe his Bus arrived, he came to and began shooting at the suspect across the street, watching EMS ops unfold. As the suspect began firing back, bullets richoceting off the bus, the emts dragged the vic behind a wall, subbdued him and transported him to the hosp with pd enroute. Pretty crazy..

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah...the one that was the closest - the rescue crew got a called for a bls run at a night club. When they pulled up on scene, everyone was running out...they thought something was up...but didn't realize what.

They got out of the front and walked towards the back to get thier bags when someone jumped in the rescue truck and locked the doors. It was at this point that someone started firing. I guess it was so close the guys said they could see the orange glow - too close for comfort. The took shelter, made an emergency call...and waited.

Again, these guys were okay - and again...you can never be too careful!
    "When you throw dirt, you lose ground."

IACOJ

Forum Member

Kentucky has a law that if you assault or prevent a firefighter,EMT,paramedic or other emergency responder from doing their job,you get a free vacation in the local county jail.
    We've had people assaulted while doing their job and that's what brought this law about.I'll post the KRS(Kentucky Revised Statute)when I can find it.

Thread Information