Forum Member

Default Breaking News Toronto

A plane is on fire after skidding off a runway in Toronto.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

This is pretty chilling to watch...how many people do they think are on that plane?
    "When you throw dirt, you lose ground."

IACOJ

Forum Member

The news says it was an Air France Air Bus from Paris to Toronto. By the looks of things, today has turned into a very sad day.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

I can't imagine...with the amount of water they are putting on it, it must be a pretty good fire. The station that I work at borders a county airport. I drive a tanker that has been fitted with a 90gallon AFFF foam tank - it's the first due for a plane fire. Just a small plane is so hot and so hard to put out...

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Passenger Jet Skids Off Toronto Runway

The Associated Press
    Tuesday, August 2, 2005; 4:57 PM

TORONTO  A passenger jetliner caught fire Tuesday after skidding off a runway in a fierce thunderstorm at Pearson airport in Toronto. Black smoke billowed from the wreckage as the aircraft burned.

A row of emergency vehicles lined up behind the wreck, and a fire truck sprayed the flames with water. The operation was broadcast live on television in Canada and the United States.

The flaming ruin was next to the four-lane Highway 401, Canada's busiest highway, and some cars and trucks stopped on the roadway after the crash.

There was no immediate word on casualties.

Police said the plane was an Air France passenger jet that was trying to land when it ran into trouble. There was a storm  with lightning, strong wind gusts and even hail  in the area at the time.

Police Sgt. Glyn Griffiths said it was not know if any passengers had been taken from the plane.

Leah Walker, a radio reporter in Toronto, said she saw a third of the plane fall and that the rest became a fireball. "This plane attempted to land in some very fierce weather we had today," she said.

The last major jumbo jet crash in North America was on Nov. 12, 2001, when American Airlines Flight 587 lost part of its tail and plummeted into a New York City neighborhood, killing 265 people. Safety investigators concluded that the crash was caused by the pilot moving the rudder too aggressively.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm watching the news right now, and apparently many if not all passengers survived. The Pilot and Co-Pilot were confirmed to have survived, and three different news stations are reporting no fatalities at all. The plane was reported to have 291 passengers on board.

One hell of a good day if that is true. We'll have to wait and see how it pans out.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, great news - it seems that might be correct. But...Is it just me or do the reporters seem a little dejected that no one died?

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

20 years ago today Delta 191 went down @ DFW That is a difficult response to answer. We do what we do because we can help.

Forum Member

I am elated at the fact that it looks like there were many survivors. Maybe the lessons learned from past tragedies prevented numerous deaths.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

FoxNews is saying NO fatalities (referencing Global TV).
    EMT-B
    Garfield Twp. Fire Department
    http://www.garfieldfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is a link to the traffic cam viewing the scene. Click on the "Video from the Scene" link at the topm left of the page.

Toronto Plane Crash Video
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow...that's amazing video!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile No Fatalities

According to a recent airport press conference there were 297 passangers and 12 crew, and all have survivied with only 14 minor injuries.

The plane landed then slid off the runway, and down into a ravine at the edge of the airport. The weather was very bad at the time of the crash, heavy rain, lightning and some hail. The video from the crash scene shows high winds at the time.

Survivors are saying that there was fire on one side, so the flight attendants sent them down the chutes on the opposite side. The aircraft was severely burned in the ensuing fire and is still smouldering. Good job by all concerned, Toronto experiencied a miracle today.

Forum Member

No offense to Americans, but my family was pretty surprised to see this on American TV stations.
    2005 Pontiac Wave 5 Hatch
    Pontiac... built for drivers

Forum Member

No offense to Americans, but my family was pretty surprised to see this on American TV stations.
    No offense taken - I recall watching disasters unfold around the world - not just here in the USA.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Default OH BROTHER

Gee, a plane crashes in Canada and it is big news in the U.S..
    Maybe since there are many places in the U.S. that are closer in location to Toronto then other American cities, it is judged "news worthy" to us non-Canadians.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Well, I was just saying that my family was surprised to see it on the American channels...

Forum Member

Well, I was just saying that my family was surprised to see it on the American channels...
    Yes - you said that already. I think Mikey was pointing out that we do see things here in the states.

Cheers.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Okay, I didn't know...

But I had a fiance in the USAF and he had some pretty "general" mixed-up stereotypes about Canada, when it is a BIG country...

Forum Member

Originally posted by paris04
    Okay, I didn't know...

But I had a fiance in the USAF and he had some pretty "general" mixed-up stereotypes about Canada, when it is a BIG country...
    And you are doing the same thing as your fiance by generalizing the entire US based on your experience with ONE man.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Just an update I just read online at one of the news sites..
    Didn't see it on here already...
    All 320 passengers aboard the plane survived. NO Fatalities.
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

And experiences with people from Maine... They thought I had an accent and asked me some ridiculous questions.

Forum Member

Originally posted by paris04
    And experiences with people from Maine... They thought I had an accent and asked me some ridiculous questions.
    You feel the way you do about Americans because they thought you had an accent and asked a couple questions?? Wow
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Originally posted by ccfdblehman
    Just an update I just read online at one of the news sites..
    Didn't see it on here already...
    All 320 passengers aboard the plane survived. NO Fatalities.
    I was very happy to hear on the news tonight that there were no fatalities. Lucky day for all those aboard.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

An extremely lucky...I'll go as far as to say miraculous...ending to an aircraft crash.

News repports I read and saw noted that the approach was rough and tension filled due to the weather, and all passengers thougght they had made it down safely until the aircraft seemed to pick up speed (Hydroplaning?) and careen off the end of the runway and down the embankment.

One passenger said that it was 'One heck of a roller-coaster ride down the embankment'

The fuselage remained intact until fire broke out, and all passengers were evacuated over infalatble slides (According to news reports and video).

Someone was watching out for everyone on board as well as motorists on the nearby highway

Rob

Thread Information