Forum Member

Default need help finding free trainning files

Hello, I am the training officer with my dept. Here is the prob I am haveing a hard time finding stuff to use for training. Everything I find cost alot of money. I guess they think we all have this like big budget. I hate to tell them, if I want anything it has to come out of my pocket. All though I am going to buy some things to help with training. ( hardware, pc and such.) I dont have the money to buy fire fighter 1 & 2 on cd so I can print stuff out to train my basic firefighter. I am really getting bumed out cause the state and fed's want us to keep training up to snuff. any help would be great. in the mean time i will keep looking. Thanks for any help.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Try this from Louisiana State University:

http://www.feti.lsu.edu/

On the right hand column, scroll down and click on "TRADE Repository"....lots of good training presentations, Powerpoints, lesson plans, etc., all free for the taking.

Also, check out the "Downloadable Drills" under the training section here on Firehouse.com. Some good stuff there too.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Default dmleblanc thanks for the reply

dmleblanc thanks for the reply. I already have that link dont really like it that much though. found some stuff on their that is out dated and such. any other would be great if ya have any thanks.

Forum Member

mecca fire are there any certain topics you are looking for? I have a few websites I have found with different things.

Forum Member

Default what im looking for is

What I am looking for I guess is the kind of things you find in say ff1 & 2 books. Maybe the stuff needed to give a manditory class. Regulations nfpa standerds. I am really looking for the basic guidelines and such. So that I can train my people. and know i am training them up to specs. Would be nice to find a web site that. List all the nfpa's,. up to date as well. I don't want any my pepole getting hurt due to my lack of training. If you all have seen places listting that kind of stuff. would be great, I have done searchs for nfpa listtings and all but if you dont know them all i might miss one. thanks again.

Forum Member

Just out of curiosity what level are you trained at?

and if you can get me an email address I can probably get you some power points.

Forum Member

Default thanks for reply

I have been threw ff1&2. If ya can get me some powerpoints would be great. I went back and reread my post, I am maybe giveing you all the wrong ideal what I am bothered about. I am really looking for some place were they list the nfpa standards and if they change them and all. I curently have the essentials of fire fighting 4th edition, and I will try to copy pages out of their for hand outs and stuff. I just dont like handing hand outs that you can tell they were just photo copyed out of a book. That and also i am worried about missing something in training that someone could get hurt not knowing. But thanks alot for any help anyone can pass along. I sure do plan on passing the info on. Thanks

Forum Member

Ok get me an email address and I think I can help you out.

Forum Member

Default thanks again

troygriffin@cebridge.net, let me just say that any help in thease matters is greatly appreciated thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey,

There is a ton of free training info available online now. A few ideas to look at for "real world" training (remember, there's more to firefighting than IFSTA's 4th ed.)

www.firefighterclosecalls.com Chief Goldfedder posts a weekly drill in PDF format to get the thought process flowing... It's usually kitchen table or apparatus floor "Quick Drill", but could be a nice launching pad for you.

www.tes2training.com Chief Sendelback also has several high-endurance drills available for download from his site.

All of the NFPA standards are now available in read-only format on www.nfpa.org. Keep in mind, though, that reading the standard isn't necessarily going to provide you the curriculum you should be delivering, it may just serve to further confuse your situation.

Firehouse.com has several drills available for download in an "instructor's guide" type format.

I don't know where you live, but here in New Hampshire, the state fire academy is a great resource, making ALL of the IFSTA FF1 & 2 curriculum available in print and on CD for all the instructors in the state. If you spend some time and tune-up the provided "cartoon" powerpoints, you can deliver a decent class.

If you are looking for some gerenal direction on what you should be doing, you might want to look into some classes at the National Fire Academy. They have a couple programs specifically for training officers, training program management, and they may even have something geared for volunteer training officers. All their classes are FREE... your tax dollars at work!! The NFA library is a great resource as well, with TONS of FREE swag available, all ya gotta do is ask for it!!

It's certainly tough to work within a limited budget, we've seen many small departments in our area taking a cooperative approach to training, with 2 or 3 departments routinely training together, and sharing the expenses of hiring outside instructors to come in, conduct a needs assesment, develop a program, and make monthly delivery. These departments have felt an increase in effectiveness and interest in training, since noone wants to listen to the same guy from their own department all the time... not to mention that they are bringing in very knowledgable and skilled instructors who are catering their delivery to the needs of the customers.

Hope you find this helpful.

Chris

Forum Member

Default thanks again for repy

yep anything at all helps. From what I have read about the state fire academy here. They want to sell everything, and the state libary is only accessible threw local libarys and students. But any ways I do need to look into them more though. Thanks again for the places to look.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default National Fire Academy

Training officers, especially new ones, should try to attend the National Fire Academy which offers some good courses for training officers. There are two primary application periods though there are also course vacancies needing to be filled. There is a once-per-year stipend which reimburses your travel cost to get to Emmitsburg, MD where there is no tuition or accommodations costs. A meal card will need to be bought but we all have to eat anyway.

November 1 to December 31, 2005 is the open application period for courses during April 1 to September 30, 2006.
    NFA 2005-2006 Resident Course Schedule (Second Semester)

Training Program Management is a 2-week course which I will be attending in December.

Fire Service Course Design is a more advanced course and also takes two weeks.

Challenges for Local Training Officers (CLTO) is a 6-day course and part of the Volunteer Incentive Program.

The biggest hurdle for most is getting the time off from work at attend NFA, after all, bills still need to be paid and not everyone can get one or two weeks of paid leave for out-of-state training.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EdGlaze
    Training officers, especially new ones, should try to attend the National Fire Academy which offers some good courses for training officers. There are two primary application periods though there are also course vacancies needing to be filled. There is a once-per-year stipend which reimburses your travel cost to get to Emmitsburg, MD where there is no tuition or accommodations costs. A meal card will need to be bought but we all have to eat anyway.

November 1 to December 31, 2005 is the open application period for courses during April 1 to September 30, 2006.
    NFA 2005-2006 Resident Course Schedule (Second Semester)

Training Program Management is a 2-week course which I will be attending in December.

Fire Service Course Design is a more advanced course and also takes two weeks.

Challenges for Local Training Officers (CLTO) is a 6-day course and part of the Volunteer Incentive Program.

The biggest hurdle for most is getting the time off from work at attend NFA, after all, bills still need to be paid and not everyone can get one or two weeks of paid leave for out-of-state training.
    I have been a training officer for many years, I teach many area schools, and I now run a nonprofit training org. and I can personally tell you that if you want to be a training officer, the NFA class he is talking about is a must.
    Challenges for Local Training Officers, This class helped me more than any I have ever had. It is worth what ever you have to do to get it.
    http://www.midsouthrescue.org
    Is it time to change our training yet ?

Forum Member

you may like to try some of the manufactures web sites, tft.com and holmatro-usa.com for free down loads and powerpoint programs.

Also IFSTA has the Essentials of Fire Fighting 4th edition curr. package on CD for $ 50.00 contact your local fire fighters book store for that price and sometimes better.

Default alguine me puede facilitar el manual ifsta en pdf

hola
    les solicito un favor
    si alguine tiene el manual ifsta 4 edicion en pdf, si lo pueden donar para mi departamento de bomberos
    agradezco su atencion y colaboracion

Luis Orlando Rodelo
    bombero voluntario CAli colombia

Hi
    I heed a little help
    mi fire dept need the ifsta manual in pdf, but no have money resources
    someboby give in donation the archive in pdf
    will be great help
    tahnk for you atention

Luis Orlando Rodelo
    volunteer Firefighter 2 Cali colombia volunteer fire dept

Quote Originally Posted by meccafire View Post
    Hello, I am the training officer with my dept. Here is the prob I am haveing a hard time finding stuff to use for training. Everything I find cost alot of money. I guess they think we all have this like big budget. I hate to tell them, if I want anything it has to come out of my pocket. All though I am going to buy some things to help with training. ( hardware, pc and such.) I dont have the money to buy fire fighter 1 & 2 on cd so I can print stuff out to train my basic firefighter. I am really getting bumed out cause the state and fed's want us to keep training up to snuff. any help would be great. in the mean time i will keep looking. Thanks for any help.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would also suggest looking into the possibilty of a grant, either state or federal, to purchase the materials.

Thread Information