Forum Member

Thumbs down Firefighter Near Miss Reporting

I am puzzled why these folks didn't work with The Secret List and www.firefighterclosecalls.com, I don't see much that they are offering that is new, just reinventing the wheel and creating a duplicate service. So much for having this stuff all in one place.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=46&id=43738
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

Forum Member

I am puzzled why these folks didn't work with The Secret List and www.firefighterclosecalls.com, I don't see much that they are offering that is new, just reinventing the wheel and creating a duplicate service. So much for having this stuff all in one place.
    Why is it bad to have another service being offered? Although close calls is great there is no reason to fret about anyone else showing firefighters what not to do.

Plus - the new one will likely be in a more formal manner.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Maybe because it's about reporting the incidents and not about 1 guys website. Maybe they wanted a place to simply have the reports and not someone's comments about them. Just a couple thoughts.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Maybe because it's about reporting the incidents and not about 1 guys website. Maybe they wanted a place to simply have the reports and not someone's comments about them. Just a couple thoughts.
    Bones said it much better than I!
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Administrator

Folks

They ARE working with FirefighterCloseCalls.com.

More information will be coming when the program formally launches at IAFC next week.

Listen to the Goldfeder Radio Show at http://www.RadioFirehouse.com/broadcast/

Thanks
    WebTeam

Forum Member

Listen to the Goldfeder Radio Show at http://www.RadioFirehouse.com/broadcast/
    No reason to do so now.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by webteam
    Folks

They ARE working with FirefighterCloseCalls.com.
    Good to hear that. My point was only that it made sense to work with what is already there than to start over from scratch. FFCC may be run by just one guy and include his comments, but I've found them to be useful and worthwhile... why throw that away? I am pleased to hear they will work together and complement each other instead of compete.
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

Forum Member

Competition is good - it forces people out of the doldrums.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackTee09
    Competition is good - it forces people out of the doldrums.
    OK, should we start another FD in your district?

I agree that competition is generally good and I am not trying to go out of my way to say this new thing is bad - it is a great idea - I just didn't want to see an existing collection of useful information wasted or tossed out. And it appears that this won't happen, so no worries.
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

Forum Member

OK, should we start another FD in your district?
    Competition drives success. Do you want the same type of apparatus for the country? One cell phone providor? FMDKS

I am one of the biggest fans of Closecalls - and if somehow there was something to come along to push that site to be even better - great for everyone!
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber

Chief Goldfeder, and his TSL/firefighterclosecalls partner Gordon Graham are on the board that has designed, implemented and has oversight for www.firefighternearmiss.com, he and his fire department (LSFD) have been apart of the project from inception participating as a pilot department. The intent of the IAFC/IAFF/VCOS backed web site is to become an all inclusive data base for statistical purposes as much as it is a web site used to read and learn from. Chief Goldfeder's web site currently doesn’t develop statistical data which is a large part of the near miss web sites program and capabilities.

Hope that clears things up, the system goes nationwide this week at IAFC's conference in Denver, but is on-line and available now to anyone who wants to check it out.

Stay safe,

Steve
    Captain LSFD
    Instructor for www.firefighternearmiss.com
    Original member of the TSL

Forum Member

Nice job on the design of the website. Kudos to all involved!

As an instructor, do you get paid? And by whom? Are the agencies listed paying for the instructors or is it private?
    Last edited by JackTee09; 08-07-2005 at 09:01 AM.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber

We are paid or not paid by our departments, those department that agreed to be pilot departments each sent a representative to the training in March. My department pays me for my time just like a regular work day, however some of the departments are all volunteer and they are doing it for free. The IAFC who is managing the project has a grant which covered our travel expenses when we attended training, everything else I have done so far has either been paid for by my department (allowing me to work on the project on-duty) or on my own.

In the future they plan to provide training to more and more departments, how this is all going to work I am not sure, maybe through grant funding?

Hope that helps a little

Forum Member

And I'll have a nice side of humble pie with my crow for not properly researching before I spoke up about it. Thanks for watching, folks.

This is a good thing being made better, which will help all of us.
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

Forum Member

Hope that helps a little
    Yes - thank you.

Are you required to provide training under the direction of a single officer, say Goldfeder, or when you train do you do so per your training as it applies to your department?

Thank you for the information.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Thread Information