Forum Member

Default Extrication Question

Actually its more of my point of view and what I think is the right procedure.

Recently a neighboring dept. was performing some jaws revolutions, and moking a victim trapped, im not sure how. But some wise person decided the best way to remove the "patient" was to cut the seat mounts on the floor, and let the seat drop x amount of inches. After hearing this, I was talking to someone that this was EXTREMELY improper, due to the fact that when the seat "dropped" or "popped" it could cause spinal and neck injuries, and that the proper procedure was to remove the vehicle from the patient and not the patient from the vehicle. Thats what I've always been told and practiced. The guy kinda looked at me like I was stupid.

Forum Member

I agree, I would not cut the seat mounts unless you somehow had the ability to prevent it from moving suddenly. Ignore people who look at you like you're an idiot - half the time it is a defense mechanism for those who realize you just made *them* look dumb. If you're really wrong and are surrounded by good people they will explain it to you without downing on you too hard (unless you really deserve it, lol).

Cutting the seat would not only raise the possibility of uncontrolled drop or lean so it knocks into someone or something else, but at the point one or more of the supports is cut the seat might actually jump *upwards* before falling, making for a double whammy. I'd unbolt it rather than cut it if necessary but have never needed to do anything like this so far.
    Last edited by RLFD14; 08-03-2005 at 12:04 AM.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

Forum Member

and one more thing I forgot to add. The dept wound up breaking the cutters (what part i don't know) on the steel "feet" of the seat. So now they get to rely on my dept to respong with our hydraulics (sp) when they have an mva.

I guess the ole sayin is true, learn from your mistakes.

Forum Member

You reminded me of this old thread, which I think you'll find interesting as well....

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=66166
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

MembersZone Subscriber

Just wanted to add some exciting facts about our new seats. Alot of our new vehicles are being equiped with what they call "Occupant Classification Systems" where the passenger is being weighed. If the occupant is in the 37-99 pound range then the passanger frontal airbag would only deploy on the first stage. Although rare in occurance, changing the weight in the passenger seat may result in an accidental deployment. Fiber-optics are also being used for airbag circuits on the seats.....faster signal transmission etc..... and cutting into the seat may cut the fiber-optics which could introduce a false signal into the restraint system. And if this isn't enough......we are also putting pyrotechnic devices in the back of the seat to deploy the headrest up in a rear collision. These are called "Active Headrests". The seat may also have a "Seat Position Sensor" that disables the frontal airbag (driver or passenger) if the seat is all the way forward. So moving the seat back may result in the airbag system being activated. And don't forget the side airbag that may be located in the seat back. So I would have second thoughts before I cut or displaced a seat on any late model vehicle.

Thread Information