Forum Member

Default Any helpful advice....

Hey guys.. I will be attending a Basic Fire Investigation Class in December at the State Fire Academy. I have been in the Fire Department for about 5 years. An Explorer for 1 yr. and the rest of the time as a full time firefighter/emt. What kinds of things should I know prior to going into this course.

MembersZone Subscriber

What kinds of things should I know prior to going into this course.
    That most respectable fire investigators would not be impressed by your screen name.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

That most respectable fire investigators would not be impressed by your screen name.
    I think I work with this guy! No...wait...just someone very like him!
    "When you throw dirt, you lose ground."

IACOJ

Forum Member

Remain open minded. There is a possibility and I stress possibility that you have been exposed to some incorrect information in the past. Fire investigation is a complete different game than fire suppression. Listen to what the instructors have to say. Learn NFPA 921. It is what will be used as a guide for fire scene investigations and also used by the defense lawyers against you on the stand.

I am sure that George will have more information, but I agree that if you want to have a good reputation in this field "GET A NEW SCREEN NAME".

It would not be above a defense attorney to dig up anything possible to discredit you and your department. I am not say you have to be squeaky clean but they will stop at nothing to get you. Even though your screen name is just that, a screen name it could be misunderstood by a jury.

Good luck in this field.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Realize quickly, that just because you have started on the road to educating yourself in the field of fire investigation, that you will not and will never know everything their is to know in this field. Remember, its a road with no destination. Don't be afraid or feel pressured by the property owner, law enforcement, media, etc. to state something you do not know. If you don't know, find someone who can help or provide an ear to your opinions.

Seek professional certification, such as IAAI or state certs, and never ever (I said this once already) lie or mislead, it will haunt you forever.

And of course, just because the fire is out, realize that the scene is still a very dangerous place. Use appropriate personal protective measures.

Cpt. Common Sents

listen to the instructors. Stories are some of the best way to learn and find little things that you would not of thought of

Thread Information