MembersZone Subscriber

Default Diesel Exhaust Systems

I have done a search before anyone jumps on me. I read all of the threads and have found only a few answers.

I am looking for information on Diesel Exhaust Systems. I have found Inger Dog they offer an inground system. If any of you all have an estimate to go by for what the approximate cost would be per bay. I realize that certain trucks need certain systems. Also if anyone knows of other manufacturers that they have heard of or used and liked the systems they have to offer please let me know.

I have not heard many good things about the effiency of the truck mounted in line diesel systems. If you have anything to add please feel free.

FireFleitz@adelphia.net

Forum Member

The department with which I explore uses Plymovent (sp?) with very good success. 9 different rigs, 3 stations, all equipped the same, and the department seems very happy with it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Exhaust Sys.

Rhett,

When I was in New York, we had a NEDERMAN sytem installed. It was around 1998 I believe. The owner of this company had installed some in the FDNY and we heard some good things about it at the time.So we tried it.
    The system turns on as soon as the apparatus is started. It is mounted from the trusses above and runs down an "exhaust rail". The hose connects to the engines/trucks by a magnet. Each exhaust hose has a magnet attached to it along with a magnet that is mounted to each vehicle.

Can't remember the overall cost. At the time we did two stations. A total of 8 bays. 4 were drive throughs. These exhaust hoses would disconnect as the engine rolled out of the bay. What was a nice feature was that these hoses could also be attached to a wall if the apparatus was out of quarters for a while. This way you could clean the floors ect...with out this hose hanging around.We seemed to like them and had no problems with them. Good-luck with this and the new station! Here is a link I found. http://www.nederman.ca/exhaust.html

Forum Member

We use Plymovent in our station, we have 6 rigs hooked up to it now, we have not had a single issue either. Installed in about three days time, and works perfectly. Releases automatically, and captures all the emissions. and they also offer a few different styles depending on how your exhaust is run on your truck.

MembersZone Subscriber

We just had a magna track system installed in each station. So far it has performed as advertised.

We do have one vehicle with a vertical exhaust stack. The arrangement for that truck looks Rube Goldberg-ish. I think we should have paid to side-pipe the rig first and then had it exhausted like the rest.

I have heard that some systems will spin the turbos on parked rigs (where multiple apparatus are hooked to the same system). I am told that one engine manufacturer stated on letterhead that the warranty on their turbos would be voided if some exhaust systems were installed. It's worth looking into that angle before you spec one system or another.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

Default Re: Diesel Exhaust Systems

Originally posted by FireFleitz
    I have done a search before anyone jumps on me. I read all of the threads and have found only a few answers.

I am looking for information on Diesel Exhaust Systems. I have found Inger Dog they offer an inground system. If any of you all have an estimate to go by for what the approximate cost would be per bay. I realize that certain trucks need certain systems. Also if anyone knows of other manufacturers that they have heard of or used and liked the systems they have to offer please let me know.

I have not heard many good things about the effiency of the truck mounted in line diesel systems. If you have anything to add please feel free.

FireFleitz@adelphia.net

I had my Captain,Chief and President look at this, since we only have a clearance on 9 foot 8 inches. This system could be great for us,I already submitted for them to send us some information. Thanks for posting this FireFleitz.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wish we had a system. Unfortunately we don't. We do have a sign in central on the truck room door that says "please keep door closed as exhaust causes damage to the cascade equipment !".
    "When you throw dirt, you lose ground."

IACOJ

Forum Member

Default heres what I found .........dont know much about that inground deal

IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Got a quote from IngerDog, betrween 12,000-15,000 per bay, way out of our price range

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks

Thanks for the information. Hopefully I will get a little bit of info from some of the vendors. I emails several today. The estimate you got helps ENGCO29. I will have to see what the Council member thinks tomorrow. Keep the information rolling though.

Forum Member

Fleitz....are you only looking at that syatem ? or the others ?
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Forum Member

Have you looked at the Ward Diesel Filter systems for the rigs?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Default Re: Thanks

Originally posted by FireFleitz
    Thanks for the information. Hopefully I will get a little bit of info from some of the vendors. I emails several today. The estimate you got helps ENGCO29. I will have to see what the Council member thinks tomorrow. Keep the information rolling though.
    I'm not 100% sure if that's their price for EVERYONE but, they are sending me a video along with some other pamphlets on their system.But I'll keep the information coming.

CaptainGonzo,

We are most likely going to look into the Ward Diesel System, do you have any kind of information and does your department have them on its apparatus?

We have Ward diesel filter systems installed on all of our apparatus big and small, the systems will adapt to any type of truck even a chevy suburban. the best part is , you see no more black smoke. and the filters have gone 3 years now and none have been changed becuase they didnt have to. they install a small red lamp in the cab which tells you when the filter needs to be changed. the system is timed for your preference, on at 1 minute at startup(or longer if you want) and on for 1 minute at reverse if you want. the system is excellent especially since we just moved into a new 7 bay fire station each truck has its own bay. no more stacked trucks. it really eliminates filling the new apparatus room with contaminates. and no hoses to hook up or disconnect ever. i think ward would be an excellent decision. good luck

mike<>

MembersZone Subscriber

Default exhaust issues

I have talked to the Inger Dog Company and I am waiting to hear from Plyovent. I will look into the Ward System. I thought that I had that it wasn't that great of a system. If indeed it gets rid of the black stuff you can see, what about the deadly stuff you cannot see? Thanks for all of the information. I will continue to check and see what you guys have to say.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default estimate

Can anyone give me an estimate on the plymovent system per truck? I would really appreciate it.

Forum Member

Well Inger called me back with a price of $24,000 per bay.

Forum Member

We got a FEMA grant in 2003 for a 4 bay station with 7 units 53K........I hope that helps.
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

MembersZone Subscriber

I got the same estimate from Inger Dog. $24K for 1 bay and $45K for 3 bays. The more the bays per station and the more the stations having the vents installed, the price drops per unit. We will have to see what happens.

Forum Member

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
    That's all I saw.

We have had Plymovent, affectionately known as Plymojunk, for a few years now. We have had issues, especially when it was newer. The boots would not detach and the end up to the breakaway would take a little road trip. Usually a good citizen would return it or drop it at the cop shop since they didn't really know what it was when they found it wandering the streets. They don't seem to be able to spare much hose as the ones they installed would barely reach the exhaust, making it difficult to get it to stay on. We have had the company work on them AGAIN and lately they seem to be working. They installed a newer redesigned breakaway point. We have had a couple problems with the air hose that supplies the boot melting inside the exhaust hose also. Sorry I can't tell you how much the cost was but I don't have that info.

Forum Member

I am betting that that doesnt come up due to the new fangled forums ...........will try tomorrow as well.
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Thread Information