Thread: Tx Help Needed

Forum Member

Default Tx Help Needed

Hello, being a rookie to his forum I would like to thank everyone for all the great information.

This coming spring I will be taking a Civil Service test for Dallas Fire-Rescue. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a Civil Service study guide for this test or a Texas one in general.

Thanks for your time,
    eazy

Forum Member

Go to barnes and nobles and look for the ff cival service book. Any of them are good. I can't remember what company makes dfd's test. Call them to see if they have a suggestion. Chris

Forum Member

TC33FF thanks for the advice. I looked and there are many different kinds of study guides. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Thanks for your time,
    eazy

Forum Member

Good luck with DFR. Tough department to get on with, VERY tough. If I hadn't gotten my job with AF I'd be takin' the test too.

Have you thought about departments around Dallas? I hear Arlington actually pays the best and has the best equipment.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre08
    Good luck with DFR. Tough department to get on with, VERY tough. If I hadn't gotten my job with AF I'd be takin' the test too.

Have you thought about departments around Dallas? I hear Arlington actually pays the best and has the best equipment.

Spectre08 thanks for that information. Me not ever taking there test before, I thought it would be a little easer process than other departments in that area because of DFR requiring you to have 45 college hours before you can test with them. I figured this would greatly minimize the applicants DFR receives.

I have a couple of questions for you that I was hoping you could answer. Have you or anyone you know ever taken there test? If so, could you give me a rundown of what the test covers?

Also, what have you heard that makes it so tough to get on with DFR?

Any other information would surely be appreciated by anyone……

Thanks for your time,
    eazy

Forum Member

Man, sorry I can't help you any further. Have you checked www.dallasfirerescue.com recently? I know they just updated their hiring page with alot of new info in the last couple of weeks. Maybe there's something there.

As for the 45 hours narrowing down the candidate pool, not likely. They had something like 12,000 people applying last test, and I think they hired 50. It's rediculous.

But not nearly as many people apply for the suburb departments. Arlington, Mesquite, and Grapevine have the nicest equipment and as far as I know pay the best. Garland, Irving, and Richardson are also great departments.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

Spectre08 thanks for the great help again and for linking my other topic with this one. WOW, 12,000 applicants......I thought 4,000 applicants for AFD was ridiculous. I actually work for a Fire Department outside Austin (Cedar Park), but I have to move to Dallas sometime next summer because of my lady friend. It’s just flustering for me to start over again. Isn’t amazing what women can make men do…lol.

Thanks again,
    eazy

Forum Member

Cool What are your certs?

From the research I've been doing for husband and myself, and from what most everyone else has said on here in the past, you're better off in the D/FW area if you have your EMT-P. Some of the suburbs don't require anything, but most of them require you to be fully certified. Fort Worth tested last night, and I think there were somewhere between 2-3000 people there, and they're only taking the top 50, but they don't require anything. Arlington requires you to be at least an EMT-I.
    As for Dallas, I'm thinking (and hoping) that the test will be sooner than the spring. I know that Mesquite tested recently, and I heard that the people that they hire will be attending the same academy that the Dallas group attends beginning in October. I don't know whether that is the academy that is open to the public, or if that is when Dallas is planning on sending a group. If that's the case, then they should be testing soon.
    If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll be corrected, but that's my best guess at things for the moment.
    Good luck, whatever happens.

Forum Member

Kelfr25 thanks for your input. I just got off of DFR website and there are no requirements for the candidates to be a paramedic. I guessing they will send you through there own class.

Being Civil Service and not having the requirement of being a paramedic, that shouldn’t affect your chances of others that are paramedics’, should it? I thought by Civil Service, you go directly by the test scores.

Thanks,
    eazy

Forum Member

If you get on with Dallas you'll get your EMT-B during training, then during your probie year you have to go to class every 3 days, the day before your shift, for your EMT-P. Then after you graduate from your EMT-P course you get your permanent assignment.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFeazy
    I just got off of DFR website and there are no requirements for the candidates to be a paramedic.
    Dallas is one of the few in the area that doesn't require you to already have your EMT-P. If you already have it, you might be better off trying to get on with some of the other depts in the area.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Competition is tough up there. Having a medic is a big bonus. Ususally anywhere from 400 to 3,000 testing for one department. There is one test up there that I can't remember the name of that several FDs in the H-E-B area use to draw candidates from.

With Dallas though be prepared to be on the ambulance for several years.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEMVFD
    There is one test up there that I can't remember the name of that several FDs in the H-E-B area use to draw candidates from.
    It's NFACT. I think it's the Northeast Fire Agencies Combined Testing or something like that. You have to have your fire and your medic or be three months from the end of medic school to test with them.

Thread Information