Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is every Marine a rifleman? Not according to Limbaugh

This audio clip is from a recent show about Paul Hackett. A dem running for congress who narrowly lost in a predominantly GOP district.

But Limbaugh plays down his service in Iraq as though it were inconsequential. Hackett makes no pretense. He was a civil affairs officer. And calling him a 'worthless puke'. Very curious statement considering how quickly Limbaugh criticizes his opponents when he claims they make personal attacks.

But somehow being in a combat theater isn't enough for Limbaugh. A true chickenhawk who ran the other way.

People still listen to this gasbag. What a disgrace he is to America.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Rush Limbaugh is a gasbag... just a conservative one!

You know, with all the liberal and conservative gasbags in the media, why is the hot air ballooning industry still using propane to create hot air for lift?

Think of the propane that could be put to better use, like grilling a thick juicy steak if hot air balloonisst just strapped a radio talk show hosts to their baskets!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    Think of the propane that could be put to better use, like grilling a thick juicy steak if hot air balloonisst just strapped a radio talk show hosts to their baskets!
    He he...I'm all for it! New York Strip anyone?
    "When you throw dirt, you lose ground."

IACOJ

I don't care about his comments regarding Hackett's politics. Those are fair game for disagreement.

I don't like the way he disgraces someone's military service. Especially since Hackett volunteered. And....in an interview I heard, his unit might be getting redeployed to Iraq. And he was quite clear that if he were ordered to return he would go no questions asked.

These remarks about Hackett are even more profound considering 20 Marines from a Ohio reserve unit were killed this week.

I wonder if Limbaugh has the guts to go into that town and tell the next of kin that Hackett was only a 'staff puke'.

But Limbaugh plays down his service in Iraq as though it were inconsequential. Hackett makes no pretense. He was a civil affairs officer. And calling him a 'worthless puke'.
    It is a classless thing to say. But then, most of these "star" commentators are pukes themselves - on both sides of the fence.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

I wonder if Limbaugh has the guts to go into that town and tell the next of kin that Hackett was only a 'staff puke'.
    No he has never had a set of balls. He likes to yell - not debate-and he shouts down anyone disagreeing with him. Disparaging this guys military service is a disgrace.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Default Whatever Rush

BROOK PARK, Ohio - The rash of violence in Iraq this week has taken an especially brutal toll on a Marine battalion based in this working-class town: Twenty members from the unit were killed over two days.

Grief and anger shook the town as families and residents anxiously awaited answers after learning that 14 Marine reservists were killed Wednesday by a roadside bomb — of the heaviest blows suffered by a single unit in the war. Two days earlier, six others from the battalion were killed while on sniper duty.

The sorrow in Brook Park, a Cleveland suburb of 21,000 people, was painfully clear Wednesday among the line of customers sipping their morning coffee at the counter of a doughnut shop down the street from the battalion’s headquarters. Nearly everyone at the counter said they knew someone who was connected to the battalion.

“You never know who it could be. It could be your best friend. It could be your husband — it could be anyone from here,” Eleanor Matelski, 69, said as she angrily tore up a paper cup that had held her morning coffee.

“Tell Bush to get our soldiers out of there now before any more of our soldiers die. This is getting to be ridiculous,” she said.

A few steps away, near the gates of the 3rd Battalion, 25th Marines, residents piled red roses, American flags, handwritten notes of condolences and white crosses for the victims.

Names of the Marines killed Wednesday were not immediately released, but nine of them came from a smaller Columbus-based company of the battalion, said Master Sgt. Stephen Walter, a spokesman for the company. The battalion was activated in January and went to Iraq in March.

“It makes me upset. This affects a lot of families,” said Clarence Koon, 56, as he sipped coffee at the doughnut shop.

'A little bit ridiculous'
    Shop manager Pat Wilsox, who said some of the reserves from the battalion frequent the doughnut shop, threw her hand over her heart when she heard the news that the unit had suffered more losses. “Oh my God,” she said softly. “I’m all for protection but this is getting a little bit ridiculous.”

Rex Lott’s son, Cpl. Billy Lott, serves with the battalion’s weapons company out of Akron. He said the last 24 hours have been rough, waiting for any word, hoping his son is all right. He left work early Wednesday to go to the reserve center.

“They expressed that they hadn’t heard anything yet,” said Lott, 53. “No news is good news as far as they’re concerned.”

Bob Fekete, manager of a tire shop near the battalion, said the losses weighed heavily on him. He has done auto work for some of the headquarters’ Marines.

“It especially hits home because all these gentlemen were from this battalion,” Fekete said in the shop’s lobby decorated with American flags and a box filled with toys being collected for a Marine charity.

Fekete, who served with the Marines during Vietnam, did not express the anger some of his neighbors did. “It’s just one of those things. It’s part of the game,” he said.

The risk that the same geographical area will suffer multiple casualties has been heightened in Iraq because reserve troops train and fight together — unlike in Vietnam, where reserve units were split up and sent to the various active duty units.

The 3rd Battalion, 25th Marines, was first activated on May 1, 1943, and fought in several battles in World War II. It helped capture a key airfield at the Battle of Iwo Jima in the Pacific. Before this week’s dead, the unit’s Web site listed 25 of its Marines had been killed this year.

The battalion has units in Brook Park, Columbus, Akron, Moundsville, W.Va., and Buffalo, N.Y. The West Virginia unit said it had none of the casualties.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

It is a tragedy when any service member dies. My cousin was killed in action and the emotions are never really far away. The family has a long tradition of service in the military and that helps with some of the grief. But it is still there.

Here is a salute to those who died while serving their country.

MembersZone Subscriber

I assume that Mr. Limbaugh, like many people of his ilk, never served a day overseas in the military. However, he's perfectly willing to criticize someone who did, and he has no problem with sending a bunch of working class kids to fight wars that profit his rich pals. Typical, typical, typical.

I don't care what Rush says, he was never a Marine. But General Al Gray was the Commandant, and he said:

"Every Marine is, first and foremost, a rifleman. All other conditions are secondary."

Civil Affairs Group is not a staff. Members of the CAG are out with the patrols and convoys, acting as the area commander's liaison to the locals. As such they are continually surrounded by Iraqis. This article explains some of what they do. After reading this, judge for yourself if Hackett was a "staff puke":

5th CAG, 3/25 assists citizens of Haqlaniyah, Iraq
    Marine Corps News

Story Identification #: 20055510384
    Story by Lance Cpl. Marc Fencil

HAQLANIYAH, Iraq (April 27, 2005) -- The Marines navigated the streets near the riverside here bearing Beanie Babies, school supplies and soccer balls.

Marines from Team 4, Detachment 4, 5th Civil Affairs Group and 3rd Battalion, 25th Marines came to meet local citizens and community leaders to discuss rebuilding the infrastructure of the city.

The CAG team rolled into town with 3rd Battalion, 25th Marines bearing Beanie Babies, school supplies, and soccer balls.

“We are not middlemen for policymaking,” said Master Gunnery Sgt. Paul L. Atherton, Detachment 4 chief and a combat engineer from Bloomsburg, Pa. “Our mission is to help them rebuild their villages, towns, and cities to create a working infrastructure, which is conducive to the peoples’ ability to self-govern.”

The bulk of what the civil affairs team does is project dependant, said Atherton, who accompanied the team throughout the operation to observe and offer guidance.

“Today we could be recruiting doctors to come to work at a hospital and tomorrow we could be making arrangements for paving a road,” said Atherton, who is 48 and a 25-year veteran of the Corps.

As the team stopped throughout the city, children flocked to the back of their Humvee, where Marines were inflating soccer balls with a hand pump. Marines handed plastic bags full of school supplies, stuffed animals, and soccer balls to dozens of Iraqi children and their parents.

“I would have blown up all these soccer balls before we came out if space wasn’t a concern,” said Cpl. Kris G. Oliver, a 23-year-old combat engineer from Baltimore. “These kids are the future of Iraq and they are going to remember how the Americans treated them long after we have left.”

Afterwards, the team drove around the eastern part of the city to individual households to assess claims that were turned into the CAG team through the battalion’s Iraqi liaison coordination center.

The CAG team organizes town hall style meetings to provide a forum for political and religious leaders to discuss community politics and the local economy.

The team analyses claims carefully to make the most efficient use of reconstruction funds. Payments are only made if Iraqi or coalition forces directly caused the property damage while operating in the area. Citizens are not compensated for damages resulting from insurgent attacks.

“We don’t pay for the messes that the insurgents created. That’s all on them,” explained Lance Cpl. Jason R. Riggio, a field wireman and native of Dana Point, Calif. “The majority of the people over here just want a peaceful place to live and raise their families in a decent environment,” said the 19-year-old, 2003 Dana Hills High graduate. “The civil affairs mission aims to aid that and minimizes the impact of the war on ordinary Iraqis.” said the 19-year-old 2003 Dana Hills High graduate.

MembersZone Subscriber

I live in the district that Hackett ran in - and voted for his opponent. Hackett stressed the fact that he was a marine and volunteered to go to Iraq in all of his campaign adds. I respect any one who serves in the military, but I don't equate with that with a reason to vote for them. Hackett's ads boasted about his service, but said little about his actual positions on issues. I found it interesting that almost all the local FOP lodges and IAFF locals endorsed his opponent - a woman who had held a number of local and state offices. The FOP lodges were particularly unhappy about lawsuits Hackett had filed on behalf on inmates against corrections offices. From what I saw, all Hackett is is another wealthy lawyer trying to sell image over reality.
    Proud to be honored with IACOJ membership. Blessed by TWO meals cooked by Cheffie - a true culinary goddess. Expressing my own views, not my organization's.

From what I saw, all Hackett is is another wealthy lawyer trying to sell image over reality.
    And you may well be right. However, one does not disparage the service of the man - especially in light of the fact that our servicemembers are in harms way at this moment.

I wouldn't have voted for him but neither should his service be attacked by a true chickenhawk.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Thats the thing about the marines -- even the cooks are riflemen.

When I was stationed in Homestead I was the only female and the only Navy member in an all male Marine Barracks. To say that I got to know the guys pretty well...(and NO I don't mean like that! ) is really an understatement.

I've seen how hard these guys work and play and I can tell you that it doesn't matter what you're "rate" is in the Marines. You are a rifleman and a fighter first.
    "When you throw dirt, you lose ground."

IACOJ

As a somewhat conservative republican that I am I will tell you that rush is an *****, ones service to our nation should never be put down, But if it is being used as your whole campaign strategy as Kerry did then sadly to say it’s an open target.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

As a somewhat conservative republican
    I am a conservative. Yet, it is distasteful to watch Limbaugh - who I believe is not conservative but rather an entertainer with no philosophy - and those like him attack the service of a fellow veteran. I didn't agree with attacking Kerry's service even though I didn't vote for him.

If someone serves the country and leaves the service with an Honorable discharge - they have done their duty. There is no excuse to attack them in that regard - policy and other things-sure.

I guess that leaves me in a small boat amongst conservatives but so be it.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Originally posted by Ohiovolffemtp
    I respect any one who serves in the military, but I don't equate with that with a reason to vote for them.
    Nor should you. I agree that Hackett's campaign planks are open targets for friend and foe alike.

My complaint is with Limbaugh writing off his service to his country. I am amazed that Marines everywhere (including those on this board) aren't calling or writing to Limbaugh demanding an apology. We're constantly told we must support the troops by Limbaugh. Does he mean only the conservative troops? My colleagues at the FH know my politics. And contrary to what Norm thinks I have absolute faith my conservative brothers would move heaven and earth to rescue me if I needed it. And they know I would do the same. There are no politics in a roof collapse or a foxhole.

Before you start beating up on trial lawyers too much, why don't you read up on Abraham Lincoln's life before politics.

And lastly. Given how that district voted almost 3-1 for the GOP in the 2004 election, Hackett's loss by four points is quite impressive.

Originally posted by JackTee09

If someone serves the country and leaves the service with an Honorable discharge - they have done their duty. There is no excuse to attack them in that regard - policy and other things-sure.
    I will be the first to admit I was wrong. I got caught up in the hoopla regarding Bush NG service.

The same institution that gave Bush his honorable discharge is the same institution that gave Kerry his honorable discharge and decorations. I'll take the documentation associated with those events at its word.

I am more disgusted by the Swift Boat Veterans for impugning the service of all those who put on the uniform (including mine). As I am disgusted by the Limbaugh types who did the same to Kerry and Hackett. And I find it troubling how quickly those groups are embraced as being more truthful by political adversaries.

We either have faith in the military institutions or we don't. I'll put my faith in those who wear the uniform and served their country.

Using military service on a political resume isn't about the policy stances of the candidate, it is used to give the electorate a measuring stick for to determine the candidate's character and committment to service.

Something Limbaugh and his type know nothing about.

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86
    I will be the first to admit I was wrong. I got caught up in the hoopla regarding Bush NG service.

The same institution that gave Bush his honorable discharge is the same institution that gave Kerry his honorable discharge and decorations. I'll take the documentation associated with those events at its word.

I am more disgusted by the Swift Boat Veterans for impugning the service of all those who put on the uniform (including mine). As I am disgusted by the Limbaugh types who did the same to Kerry and Hackett. And I find it troubling how quickly those groups are embraced as being more truthful by political adversaries.

We either have faith in the military institutions or we don't. I'll put my faith in those who wear the uniform and served their country.

Using military service on a political resume isn't about the policy stances of the candidate, it is used to give the electorate a measuring stick for to determine the candidate's character and committment to service.

Something Limbaugh and his type know nothing about.

Very well put Sc.
    While I have said that military service is not a prerequisite for president, it sure doesn't hurt. Politics aside, it is just plain, well, it's a character indicator, it's people willing to give up a portion of their lives, time and so on, for the benefit of everyone.
    Sacrifice's that need to be remembered, sometime's, a sacrifice of more than just time away from friends and family. While military service should not be a sole determiner of being elected into an office, it certainly should not be a detractor. It also must NOT be used as a tool against a candidate, unless it is a dishonorable discharge.
    Limbaugh, in being as narrow minded as he is, shows his true colors with stories like this one. If he were truly the "think tank" he claims, he would impugn a political candidate on his political platform, not his "lack" of military service. Something he did with John Kerry as well.

I also will give credit to those who have worn the uniform, and served our nation.

MembersZone Subscriber

SCFIRE,
    I wouldn't read alot into Hackett's showing. This was a special election where the congressional race was the only one on the ballot. Turnout was very light. So, this election was more about who got their diehard supporters to the polls instead of what the whole electorate thought.

I agree military service can speak a lot about character. I've been very impressed by almost all former marines I've encountered. It seems that of all the service branches, they're the one that really shapes people well.

All I know about Hackett's service in Iraq was that he spent 7 months there as a captain in a civil affairs unit. I have no idea whether he saw combat or anything else about what he actually did.

I just want candidates for office to tell me their positions, so I can see if they match what the office holder to do.
    Proud to be honored with IACOJ membership. Blessed by TWO meals cooked by Cheffie - a true culinary goddess. Expressing my own views, not my organization's.

Thread Information