Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Need help getting members to join

hello,i am the president of an explorer post in a busy volnteer fire department located just outside Buffalo N.Y, we are currently struggling to keep members together in our explorer post and having a tough time trying to get new members into the post. Anyone have any ideas? I appreciate any suggestions that you guys/girls have.

Default Members

Just a quick question what kind of things have you done thus far to try and get members. I am not sure if you have tried this or if your volunteer department does anything like this... I know that when I was captain I always tried but failed due to lack of members giving time and advisors not wanting to do anything I always though of putting a membership drive together. Here are several places where you can try. I am not sure what your age requirment is however go to your local schools high school and middle schools. Ask the proper people if you could put a sign up sheet around the school and if and when you get enough people to try and do a demonstartion during school to get people intrested. Also you could try and see if your allowed to put together a community fire prevention day. Get some apparatuses to a central point and invite your community and set up a special demo for exporlers and try and get people intrested in that way! If you have tried anything else I am intrested to try and get your ideas. I know that the junior corps in my hometown needs some new members to keep it running and I am a new advisors and would like to try and get them more people as well!
    Stay Safe
    Eng # To firecom I have a 1 story wood frame structure with a man on the roof putting the fire out...

Forum Member

and NO blue lights!!! dont even consider it!! dont even tell them they could if you allowed them!!!
    *rant off*

GO NAVY!!

Forum Member

^^ I second that, don't even mention it to them.

Red face

why did u even bring the blue lights up? i thought that discussion was killed a while ago. (although i agree with you.)

Forum Member

I was killing it before it was started again for the publics own good..

GO NAVY!!

Forum Member

Where are you located outside Buffalo??

A good recruitment idea might be a movie highlighting some of the activities you do. For us this might include ( grabbing hydrants and setting up water, Waterball, and all other competitions, EMS drills, searches in a smoke filled room, etc) I'll bet that showing this to kids would spark alot of intrest. Or if you host a competitions, put up flyers around town and in the schools just for people to show up and watch.

One of our new members wouldn't have joined the post if it wasn't for the Firefighter Combat Challenge on ESPN. Now he loves everything about the post.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

hey gocart, where exactlyu from near buffalo, im around the same area. Im a junior firefighter but i never went through being and explorer so i dont have any ideas but i just wanted to kno where u were from. And onthe topic of blue lights, NO blue lights for explorers since they cant respond, for junior firefighters, if they are able to go on the calls(on trucks and scenes) then they should be able to have blue lights, if not then deff not.

Thread Information