Forum Member

Default Air Force Fire Fighter

I just booked a job as fire protection in the air force, set to ship out to basic Nov 29th. Just curious if anyone on here has any experience in the AF, how their firefigher schedule works, and if their certs transfer to civilian departments. Thanks for any advice or tips.

Dan

Forum Member

Default Answers

Dan,
    The AF Fire Protection is usually 24 on 24 off with a kelly day (shift day off) after every 6th shift. When you get DOD Fire Certs you can send them to to the National Pro Qualifications Board and get their certs as well. Most are accepted in civilian departments but you. normally have to go through a civilian departments fire academy anyways. If you wish to talk more email me and I'll give you my office number and we'll chat.

MAX

Forum Member

I leave for basic for fire protection on Oct. 25th. See you at the academy maybe.

anyways, 24 on 24 off? what kind of crap is that? That's like a 72 hour work week EVERY WEEK. Do you get any kind of extra pay for that?
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

Default AF Firefighter

Extra pay??? LOL Man, I wish. I did it for 12 years and never saw an extra penny. You get used to it after about 4 years, but it isn't the best schedule in the world. Good luck to you both.

Forum Member

man, what a rip. Oh well, I imagine that a base FD isn't exactly busy. I lived outside Little Rock AFB for 5 years and don't think I ever once heard about a fire.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

Default AF Firefighter

It really depends on what type of base you're at. I was at a base for a year that had a flying training squadron, it was common to have 6-10 runs per shift, mostly IFE's (in-flight emergencies). Most ended uneventfully, but every once in awhile it didn't. Plus you always have base housing, it's always good for a couple good fire every couple of months. Oh, and don't forget the medical emergencies. if you're on the Rescue, you usually run calls with the hospital medics. It really isn't that bad, just work hard on your upgrades and take as many college courses as you can.

Forum Member

Default Re: AF Firefighter

Originally posted by maxlot
    It really depends on what type of base you're at. I was at a base for a year that had a flying training squadron, it was common to have 6-10 runs per shift, mostly IFE's (in-flight emergencies). Most ended uneventfully, but every once in awhile it didn't. Plus you always have base housing, it's always good for a couple good fire every couple of months. Oh, and don't forget the medical emergencies. if you're on the Rescue, you usually run calls with the hospital medics. It really isn't that bad, just work hard on your upgrades and take as many college courses as you can.
    how much can you tell me about the advanced training courses?

Like aeriel operations, advanced rescue, shuttle, etc.

I would really like to get extra training in advanced rescue and high angle stuff.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

Default AF Firefighter

Each one of the CDC's (Career Developemnt Courses or upgrades) you take will address a different aspect of firefighting. You'll do ARFF, structural, plus all the different vehicles. After you get them all done, you can apply to go to advanced rescue school down at Goodfellow AFB TX. It's on a reward basis, if you get everything done and excel in all of them you have a better chance to go to some advanced schools then say someone who is screwing off. Each CDC take approxiamtely 1 month to complete, last I saw there were 6 or 7 CDC's. Then you do an End of Course Exam on all the CDC's, if you pass you'll be upgraded to a 5 skill level. You'll show up at your base as a 3 level out of the academy.

Forum Member

Talking

Go Navy!!!

GO NAVY!!

Forum Member

anyways, 24 on 24 off? what kind of crap is that? That's like a 72 hour work week EVERY WEEK. Do you get any kind of extra pay for that?
    I thought you researched this? Must be the recruiters fault. Just like I said Andy.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Be sure to place Offutt on your dream sheet. I know you might be dissuaded by Nebraska, but it's a nice base. And they just got a new station. This thing is so damned big and expensive it had to be approved by congress.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackTee09
    I thought you researched this? Must be the recruiters fault. Just like I said Andy.
    I didn't ask about the shifts, I just assumed it would be 24/48 like everybody else.

Oh well, not that big of a deal anyways. It's not like I'll have anything else to do in my time off.

and my recruiter didn't know anything about fire fighting. Had to look just to make sure it was actually a job available for the AF.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

Who needs stations when you have a "truck" the size of a golf cart and once again... GO NAVY!!!

GO NAVY!!

Forum Member

My ship date is 29 November. Im still debating between firefighter and pararescue. So if i went fire protection i would be more interested in advanced rescue and training as well. My recruiter also told me there are no officer positions for firefighters, I have a BA degree from U of Iowa would this help me out any as a fire fighter??

Forum Member

I imagine y'all will get more calls than I will... but hey, were all one in the same.. good luck to both of y'all Spectre and You..

Anchors Away!

GO NAVY!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roundmtnvfd3
    I imagine y'all will get more calls than I will... but hey, were all one in the same.. good luck to both of y'all Spectre and You..

Anchors Away!

it's not too late to come to the Air Force

from what it looks like they're on a hiring blitz for fire protection right now. I'm the only person I know who get my job less than a week after I went to MEPS. Even intelligence folks are having to wait longer than me to leave.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

Yeah i had thought about it, but I love the ocean... AND id probably **** a recruter or two off (but then again id make a few happy ) I got my assignment the day after MEPS.. I guess the Navy is desperate too...

GO NAVY!!

Forum Member

Yeah i had thought about it, but I love the ocean... AND id probably **** a recruter or two off (but then again id make a few happy ) I got my assignment the day after MEPS.. I guess the Navy is desperate too...
    yeah, my sister is a Nuclear Power Technician for the navy. she loves it. been in almost 10 years. Her favorite part of her job is travelling. and she travels ALOT.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

yeah, 6 months @ sea... but hey, in that 6 months its on to Spain, Italy, Greece, etc. (hopefully).. I hate staying in one place AND the ships are fully coed .. but of course i wouldnt fraternize with any of them

GO NAVY!!

Forum Member

Pff, she won't admit it, but i'm convinced that "fraternization" was the reason her and her husband split after her first tour at sea.

Of course he was on the sub the same time, but we won't go there.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

Oy... that sucks.. im not going into ANY sort of serious relationship until im out of the Navy for that fact.. BUT their is always the fraternization fact that of course i would never do because its against regulations ....

Anchors Away!!!

GO NAVY!!

Forum Member

Default AF FIre Fighter

Just remember one thing about a new station like at Offut NE, the newer the station, the more emphasis is put into keeping it looking that way. Station details leave a lot to be desired, let alone being a showcase of a base. Give me a 10 year old station any day. Isn't everyone in the Navy a firefighter or is that an old wives tale. Pararescue or firefighting are the choices ehh? Well when you get out whatcha gonna do with a Pararescue background? My opinion only is firefighting opens many doors for civilian employment, it did for me. I suppose with a pararescue background you could be a flight medic somewhere.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by maxlot
    Just remember one thing about a new station like at Offut NE, the newer the station, the more emphasis is put into keeping it looking that way. Station details leave a lot to be desired, let alone being a showcase of a base. Give me a 10 year old station any day. Isn't everyone in the Navy a firefighter or is that an old wives tale. Pararescue or firefighting are the choices ehh? Well when you get out whatcha gonna do with a Pararescue background? My opinion only is firefighting opens many doors for civilian employment, it did for me. I suppose with a pararescue background you could be a flight medic somewhere.
    pararescue is helpful for a career in firefighting because you come out of tech school EMT-P certified and nationally registered. Oh, and it'll put you in better shape than any strength and agility test will ever require.

about the navy, yeah, everybody is a firefighter. But he's signing up to be a Damage Controlman. Basicly he'll be in charge of fixing leaks, breaks, etc. Being a "handyman" around the ship. And part of that duty is leading the fire crews during drills and emergency situations.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

MembersZone Subscriber

yeah, 6 months @ sea... but hey, in that 6 months its on to Spain, Italy, Greece, etc. (hopefully).. I hate staying in one place AND the ships are fully coed .. but of course i wouldnt fraternize with any of them

I just had a talk with my budd about this. He is Navy, subs, etc...

So he doesnt have a chance to fraternize...unless he is a little lite in the lofers, which he is not by the way.

In any case at the base he was at a group of the wives of the sub guys started a prostitution ring. While the hubbys were away the girls would play...for money. The signal was a box of tide in the window. Other Navy guys and civies would come to the base and do the dirty deed for a fee.

His wife was not part of it, but the way they talk...OMG. She was all like "I cant wait till he goes to sea again, my other boyfriends are getting desperate." And he would say "Well honey, you could invite them over while im there, you know how it is on the sub...long hard and full of seamen."

On second thought maybe the navy is getting to him.

But whoever said its not a good plan to be in a serious relationship while in the Navy, well I think you are right.

My X girlfriends sister is on a carrier. She says is 4000 guys and 1000 girls. 4 to 1 odds...and that the girls are total hoochies that make the most of it.

Hmmmmmm....

Thats just sick and wrong.

Then agin where I live right now (Montana) we have a oil boom going. Its about 10 to 1 guys to girls right now, seriously. And all of those guys are working for companies like Haliburton and such...60K a year at least. There is nothing to do but spend money on the hoochies.

Its hard to find a girl here that hasnt been with a few dozen guys.

Hmmmmm...maybe its time to join the Navy....

LOL, no freakin way. I will just go back to college, thats where the chics are these days.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

everyone IS a firefighter in the Navy, but my job as a DC is to be the uber firefighter.. to train other FFs, to be IC, to maintain all FFing equipment... and hopefully become "fire marshal" of the ship (fire chief)...

GO NAVY!!

Thread Information