Thread: Officers

Forum Member

Default Officers

I was wondering if anybody has the standards it takes to be qualified as an officer. I know each department is a little different but what does the fire marshals office and nfpa recommend. It seems here lately only those tight with the chief get the red hats. Latest guy to make Lieutenant. has never even made entry but did get certs. How are we supposed to follow this guys orders if he has no experience. Any direction is appreciated

MembersZone Subscriber

We've got a pretty good set of base standards for our officers. I was just promoted to Lt., which involved a written test based on SOPs, department by-laws and administrative directives, as well as tactical issues. Those who made the minimum score on that were given tabletop command exercises by an (in my opinion) neighboring department's chief. If that went well, then the candidate was interviewed by the command staff of the department, and decisions were made.

Our by-laws recommend certain minimum qualifications for our officers, Firefighter II, some Tactics classes, etc - it all depends on the rank. The bulk of our guys have everything required (and more) for their position, and we've had a few without the certs that still have what it takes to lead a crew.

You aren't on my department, I hope. We actually have officer vacancies that weren't filled in the last round as the upper brass wasn't quite ready to promote all those that tested, even though some of them passed the written and tabletop. I think it took a lot for them to not just fill a spot, and instead leave it vacant because they were uncomfortable with the guy(s) trying to fill it, for one reason or another.

Forum Member

how long does it usually take to make lt., capt., various chief positions, etc.?

I dont' really understand how the firefighter rank system works.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

MembersZone Subscriber

Who appoints your officers? The chief? Do those promoted go through an application process?

Forum Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Now thats an avatar !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Pipe-

The OSFM & NFPA have no requirement for officers; only recommendations. OSFM doesn't really have any specifications, either, but they have the certification levels of Officer I, II, III, IV, etc.

NFPA would have Standard #1021, Standard for Fire Officer Professional Qualifications.

It is up to your department on what they want to do.

As for us, you must have 3 years here, FFII, pass a written test on SOGs, and submit to an oral interview. It's all graded and a list created.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

Post officers

No there is no testing or interview process. It is all up to the Chief and the 2 captains. We are set up with 1 chief and 2 captains, and 2 lt's. The lt's act as 1st in officers. My worry is with no experience how long is it before someone gets seriously hurt.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Now thats an avatar !
    I know your just in love with it!

Thread Information