MembersZone Subscriber

Default Anyone go here????

I am (hopefully) attending Auburn Career Center in January for my Firefighter I and II Certification and was wondering if anyone went there? Also In August going for my EMT-B classes at lakeland is there anything else anyone would recommend me doing to better my chances of getting hired somewhere?

thanks alot.
    Matt

MembersZone Subscriber

You are off to a good start.
    Chief Warner from Concord Township is usually in charge of Auburns 240 classes.
    I believe, Kevin Edmond is still in charge of the Lakeland EMT program. Good Guy, knows his stuff and has is one of the best leaders I have met.

Once you geet your EMT, you will probably be able to get a part-time firefighting position in Lake County. It is getting harder to with out your paramedic. But I found it was nice to be getting experience while attending Paramedic School.

Good Luck to you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks, that is good to hear! My plan is to get in part-time while I go to school for Paramedic. I got in touch w/ Willoughby and Mentor Fire Dept.'s and they both have part time for EMT-B but you need your Paramedic to be Full time.

Forum Member

Both sites are good places to get your training. Lakeland is good because you can use the classes as credit towards an associates degree. I'm not sure if Auburn's classes are accepted anywhere as college credit. I've also heard that Chief Warner runs a good program. I'm planning on doing the state fire instructor course there.

Tri-C is also a good option, too, depending on how far you want to travel. Good luck.
    LT Lou DiMattia
    Willoughby Hills Fire Department
    Willoughby Hills, OH USA

It's your world buddy, we're just livin' in it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Something came up there is Part-time job openings at a house right next to me! Just need minimal qualifications to apply (18+, high school diploma, and good phycical strength also must live within 3 miles of dept.) I am going to apply, they are only accepting the first 40 applications! Should my plans change (if hired) at all as far as school goes?

MembersZone Subscriber

That opportunity doesn't happen to be Leroy does it? Anyway, I went through Chief Warner's 240 program at Auburn, and have nothing but good thins to say about it. He brings in a whole range of instructors from varying backgorunds. It is a wonderful program. I took my EMT-Basic at Lakeland, and it was a decent program. As far as getting hired part-time in Lake County, it isn't so easy without your medic.

Good Luck,

Ben

Forum Member

Go for the job, but I wouldn't recommend even thinking about not going to school. Get your EMT and get your 240. Work awhile as a basic, then go to medic school. Especially if you're 18-21 and can't necessarily get a full-time job just yet, don't be in a huge rush to get your medics right after EMT school. Paramedic school is much easier if you've been working as an EMT for awhile. That's my advice.
    LT Lou DiMattia
    Willoughby Hills Fire Department
    Willoughby Hills, OH USA

It's your world buddy, we're just livin' in it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

My money says your applying for Mentor-on the-Lake Fire Dept.? Let me know how you do.

Also one of their guys is an instructor at Lakeland and Auburn.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is Mentor-On-the-Lake and I am swamped right now w/ book work for my
    EMT-B course and trying to study for the written exam..... Do you work for MOL? Any advise!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.
    Matt

MembersZone Subscriber

I attended one of MOL's fulltimers EMT-B class. Excellent guy, and excellent program. I have a few friends on MOL.

Thread Information