Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    MembersZone Subscriber

Neat rig, but where do you put your crew? Three man company only? I suspect that folks aren't climbing up over those tandem front axles to get into seating positions.

I guess with staffing the way it is now in some places, a smaller crew wouldn't be that out of the ordinary. I do enjoy seeing the stuff that's almost "one of a kind," etc., like the previosuly mentioned Pierce/Bronto in Texas. If you want to see a shot of that unit, see:

Only Red Trucks

Forum Member

Here's one sweet ride
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Remember, pulling images from someone else's web site, and publishing them elsewhere, can lead to major photographer irritation...

There is a reason why I post links and not images....

Not saying Larry (the site owner) will get upset, but some of these guys get pretty possessive of their property, which digital images are.

Forum Member

Oh,didn't think of that, but sitll thats anice looking truck..must be slow though.

Forum Member

To answer your question about staffing on the Bronto, I am not sure. I am not from Calgary but I don't think the rig is staffed 24/7. I think it is stored at a station and used when needed. Two guys from another truck probably just jump on and they go with both. I know Calgary does run 3 man aerials for its other aerials though.

Forum Member

Anyone have any ideal how much that Bronto cost that Calgary has? 750k-1mill? Looks so big and akward, like a bull in a china shop.

Forum Member

Well the 100ft Bronto RLP is around 750k, so I'd venture to say that 170ft monster is probably in the neighborhood of 1.2mil+ Actually the only other one of those I've seen was an e-one demo that's been floating around various apparatus dealer websites...firetec was the last place I saw it, but it's no longer there. I'd like to see who coughed up the dough for that one!

MembersZone Subscriber

Eventhough they are not on their website, E-One will in fact still build the 110' and 135' aerials at the request of the customer, or prospective customers.

And the Smeal aerials in St. Louis are 125' rigs.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Default E-One 135'

This model is NOT offered and has not been since the early 1990's

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Quote Originally Posted by Member0468 View Post

This thread is covered in dust and has been since 2005
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Member0468 View Post
    They quit offering the 135' sticks either 01 or 02.
    They still offer the 110'
    They will not build a 135' at request but they will re-chassis a 135'. They just did Oklahoma City's
    Last edited by RoofTopTrucky; 09-12-2009 at 11:44 PM.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EngCo29 View Post
    That was my first thought, but he told me (he works with their sister station Station 602) that they were getting somethign identical to a FDNY Seagrave Tower Ladder, only 135'...only not a Seagrave probably an E-One or Pierce.

There is nothing identical to a Seagrave Scope....

Forum Member

Nor 135' in series. T.C.

Forum Member

The Bronto's are nice. We looked at them during the R&D of our new truck. If you have never gotten a chance to "play" with one, you should. it is quite impressive. However, to me it seemed to be one of theose rigs that are "situation specific". The one I "played" on was at E-One and was getting picked up by some guys from Surprise FD located outside of Phoenix. We spoke with them for some time about it, I believe it was the 3rd they were getting (already had 2 in service). We asked them about how they used it since it had lesser compartment space and way fewer ground ladders. They were quick to openly admit that their Brontos did NOT take the place of a ladder or a "treaditional" tower on alarms. It responded as a specialty piece.
    To me that sounded like they was to go with something like this. As impressive as they are they have some limitations that will not allow them to do things as "tradtional" truck company can do. Aside from the equipment and the ground ladders, the horizontal reach is way shorter than you would think on a 114' or 135' version. It's mainly becasue of the weight of the aerial itself, even with the huge jack span (another drawback) it can't go parallel to the ground.
    Like I said, don't take this the wrong way, it is a very impressive rig, but like everythign else, it has it's limitations. Like any rig, you just need to figure out if it would work with your dept and the way you run, assuming your thinking of getting one.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Forum Member

I play with a T-Rex a couple week ago, built by rosenbauer, hitech stuff, the only thing missing was the truck talking to you.. all screens and probably like fly by wire stuff, it was 114ft, i will add some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information