Forum Member

Default Whats with Advertising on the Forums???

There is a place where one can go to type in the web address of their own website and Firehouse.com has a way that someone can advertise. Why then do we see people advertising their websites and wares? BTW, I don't mean fire department sites but sites that actually compete with Firehouse.

We had a whole thread rip apart because one guy kept advertsing his services. I thought it was a TOS violation but it continues to happen with great frequency. One thread was bumped while mentioning another website again and again.

Then people append it to messages of good will to LODD or injuries. That is not respectful as Captain Gonzo has pointed out.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackTee09
    There is a place where one can go to type in the web address of their own website and Firehouse.com has a way that someone can advertise. Why then do we see people advertising their websites and wares? BTW, I don't mean fire department sites but sites that actually compete with Firehouse.

We had a whole thread rip apart because one guy kept advertsing his services. I thought it was a TOS violation but it continues to happen with great frequency. One thread was bumped while mentioning another website again and again.

Then people append it to messages of good will to LODD or injuries. That is not respectful as Captain Gonzo has pointed out.

Does anyone mind that I put some antique fire truck stuff on in a thread I created??? If so, I'll pull em'.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Does anyone mind that I put some antique fire truck stuff on in a thread I created??? If so, I'll pull em'.
    Thats not for anyone here to decide. If it violates the TOS - then you shouldn't do it. However, if you can do it and it doesn't get deleted - whats the big deal?
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

If you see advertising, report it to the WebTeam (the little warning triangle icon under the poster's avatar). They usually jump on that kind of thing pretty quickly. I've seen a couple advertising posts deleted recently.

As a moderator myself on a couple of other boards, its almost impossible to catch everything as a mod, that's why its important that readers report problematic posts.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Forum Member

If you see advertising, report it to the WebTeam
    Yeah - that might work.

Update:

I reported it just now.
    Last edited by JackTee09; 08-05-2005 at 10:54 PM.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Nope-didn't work.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Hey Jack.....................

Quote Originally Posted by JackTee09
    Nope-didn't work.
    Don't give up.......

Sometimes it takes a bit of time for the WT to get to it. Especially right now with all the changes that are going on.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Administrator

We ALWAYS deal with SPAM as soon as we're informed of it, but this weekend we're focused on working out few remaining bugs in the forums. Don't worry, it will be deleted soon if its been reported. Or just PM WebTeam even.

Thanks

Administrator

Jack

One of the posts you reported was
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...584#post559584

We have a good relationship with SCONFIRE.com and do not have a problem with them posting links to their site once in a while. Its not SPAM specifically and certainly far from the blatant spamming of commercial products that happens from time to time.

That being said, if that or ANY site went over the top with constant postings promoting their site, etc. they would be removed, even if its NON commercial. Hope that is VERY clear to those posting here.

Thanks

Forum Member

Webteam:

Thank you for doing this - people who display commercial sites beneath their forum posts should have to abide by the TOS and now we all see that we will all be on the same playing field. Many, many thanks for stopping this.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

Forum Member

Just a question, but why is it a big deal if people advertise other websites in their sigs?

what kind of dictatorship is that the populas isn't allowed to know about other places on the internet? If they really like Firehouse, and are making needed contributions, then they won't just jump ship and never return becuase the follow a link to another forum.

Most people who browse internet forums browse several of them, not just 1.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Administrator

People post in areas like 'grants' and make side mention of their 'services' for instance and their sig contains a link to their site where they offer said services.

Hope that explains it. Not open to negotiation here. We have no problem with folks linking to their web sites in their sigs, as long as its not a commercial web site thats intention is soliciting business or selling product. If you see such a post, report it.

If you think that constitutes dictatorship which is a frankly RIDICULOUS accusation, feel free to post on other sites and not here. Its worked well for over 7 years, and its not going to change.

And no, forums specifically, we don't allow people to promote other firefighter forums here because it has the opportunity to get way out of hand and has in the past, so its just not allowed.

WebTeam

Forum Member

hmm

Interesting argument.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

Webteam:

Thanks for the clarification!

I might add my site in my sig line now.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

District Chief

WT..thanks for doing this. There is one guy on here who we all know that keeps posting his personal training site....Do we need to name him?
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Administrator

Don't need to name him here, just report the post.

Thread Information