FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default City Sets Solemn Plans For 9/11 Anniversary

August 6, 2005 -- New York will commemorate the fourth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks at the World Trade Center site in the same unadorned way it recognized earlier anniversaries — but with siblings reading the names of those they lost. And as the names are uttered by 100 pairs of readers, other family members will descend the ramp to the site's lowest level, where they will once again be allowed to lay flowers. The solemn ceremony will be halted four times — twice to mark when each plane struck a tower and twice to mark when each tower fell. The first moment of silence will be at 8:46 a.m. Houses of worship are being asked to toll their bells at the moment. The public will be admitted, but priority will be granted to the relatives of those who died on that fateful day. The ceremony is expected to end around noon, but the site will remain open to the victims' families until 4 p.m. "As New York City's renewal continues, we pause on the anniversary of that terrible day in September of 2001 to remember those we lost and to reaffirm our commitment to honor their lives — both by rebuilding lower Manhattan and by creating a beautiful memorial that will touch millions of hearts," Mayor Bloombag said.

At sundown, the Tribute in Light will return for a single night but at a new location, West and Morris

and still there is no Memorial in sight....
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35
    ...and there is absolutely no excuse for not having constructed a memorial by now
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by stillPSFB
    ...and there is absolutely no excuse for not having constructed a memorial by now
    Sad state of affairs
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

An absolute disgrace....

They are already talking about a memorial for the Londoners killed on 7/7, something that can be added to if there were further atrocities.

Despite my pride and restored faith in humanity at the way NYC untied after the attacks, I now feel it is all about Politics and Money and getting as many $$$ of Real Estate squeezed onto that 16 acres of land.

Almost 4 years after the worst peacetime terrorist outrage ever, all the families and friends have to visit is a dusy Construction site.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

You know Steve, I have been all around the world to visit WTC Memorials...But none in New York City. How sad is that
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

though i agree and wish it was done already , we must realize this is 16 acres of property in a prime area of NYC which is full of all sorts of peoples and its very hard to try and please them all, any terrorist attack is a horrible thing but we must remember this isnt just a small area to be rebuilt. We all have heard the saying Rome Wasnt Built in a Day just look how long it took the original towers to be built.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Quote Originally Posted by BFDNJFF
    ..... we must realize this is 16 acres of property in a prime area of NYC which is full of all sorts of peoples and its very hard to try and please them all, any terrorist attack is a horrible thing but we must remember this isnt just a small area to be rebuilt......

You must realize 3000 people were murdered on 9-11-01 and there should be a Memorial FIRST and then buildings. A lot of people have NOT BEEN FOUND YET. Should we start building in grave yards now? 9-11-01 is everyday here because we are still missing sons and daughters, mothers and fathers, friends and family members. The "PRIME AREA of NYC" can wait to be built on. BUILD THE MEMORIAL NOW.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

if it were that easy i think it would be , but it isnt. i dont need to rush a memorial to honor my freinds murders to be rushed and to have to possably be changed over and over again onces building constructions begins full force and would rather have it constructed at the same time to have it done right the first time, we have obviously seen that the plans have already been changed for construction.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

..... i dont need to rush a memorial to honor my freinds murders.....
    .... we have obviously seen that the plans have already been changed for construction.
    I know maybe you don't need it now, But there is an 11 year old boy that keeps on asking me is that where my dad was killed ? Or Ray do you think they will find my dad? I am down at the WTC at least 1 a month with this kid.

The plans where changed for the Freedom Tower NOT THE MEMORIAL.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

i am not disagreeing with the idea and yes it sucks real bad , but its just a reality we have to deal with and it stinks. sadly money runs this world and not the deaths of people and thats just how it is.

I WISH IT WAS DONE ALREADY.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

I WISH IT WAS DONE ALREADY.
    Me too BROTHER...I have been saying it for almost 4 years now...

FYI---do you see the * by the names bellow, Those are my BROTHERS still missing. There are 8 kids missing there dads.... and thats just my firehouse.
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 08-07-2005 at 09:01 AM.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

It took over 10 years to get a WWII memorial built. Over 250,000 American Servicemen were killed in that war. The Entire European Continent was rebuilt by then (it was opened in 2002.) Maybe I haven't read deeply enough into your articles, but it seems like memorials for significant conflicts in this country are slow to form....
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Forum Member

FYI---do you see the * by the names bellow, Those are my BROTHERS still missing. There are 8 kids missing there dads.... and thats just my firehouse.

sorry to hear that but i lost a few people i knew there also and some are still missing. i am less than an hour from there and many people from my local neighborhoods worked there and a few FDNY guys were vollys in local deps. that are also gone now , but like tillerman posted it took well over 10 years for a ww2 monument to be built and over 250,000 lost there lives there.

IMO yeah wish there was one but a memory is in your heart and mind not a block of concrete or a metal object erected for show.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

Forum Member

a memory is in your heart and mind not a block of concrete or a metal object erected for show.
    While you are right that a memory is in your heart, I have to disagree that a memorial is just for "show".

A memorial signifies that we will NEVER forget, that we respect those who gave their lives, that we recognize their sacrifice to our safety and it provides comfort and closure to those left behind. It is sacred to those whose family members were never recovered, who never had a body to bury..... THIS is their burial ground, the memorial their marker. So I think that a memorial is important and it is far more than just for show.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

District Chief

You know Steve, I have been all around the world to visit WTC Memorials...But none in New York City. How sad is that
    . On my recent visit to NYC, I was sad to see nothing there but a hole and that lonely cross. It was a very somber moment for me on my first visit there since 09-11-01

THIS is their burial ground, the memorial their marker. So I think that a memorial is important and it is far more than just for show.
    PFIRE....I agree 100%.
    It took over 10 years to get a WWII memorial built. Over 250,000 American Servicemen were killed in that war
    That may be true, but this was a brutal, unprovoked attack on our own soild by terrorists.

Ray.....will it be telvised?????
    [quote]
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Quote Originally Posted by captstanm1
    . Ray.....will it be telvised?????
    It will but local.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

You must realize 3000 people were murdered on 9-11-01 and there should be a Memorial FIRST and then buildings. A lot of people have NOT BEEN FOUND YET. Should we start building in grave yards now? 9-11-01 is everyday here because we are still missing sons and daughters, mothers and fathers, friends and family members. The "PRIME AREA of NYC" can wait to be built on. BUILD THE MEMORIAL NOW.
    AMEN! I visited my old high school a few weeks ago and they even had a memorial for 9-11-01. That is sad when many other cities can get the funds to erect these memorials, even high schools.. but there isn't even a memorial at the site where these horrible events took place. WHAT A DISGRACE!

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

I know maybe you don't need it now, But there is an 11 year old boy that keeps on asking me is that where my dad was killed ? Or Ray do you think they will find my dad? I am down at the WTC at least 1 a month with this kid.

Ray, what you are doing is one of the strongest and most genuine memorials to your Brothers...AND those who they left behind. Keep fighting the good fight.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

There are memorials already constructed in most NJ counties. There are memorials all over the damn country...except where it should be. IMHO, there will not be a memorial at WTC for decades. Here's why.

I heard on WCBS-880 a couple of weeks ago that there are at least 16 16 organizations representing families of victims. Each of those groups has their own self interests and believes that theirs is the most important concern. Some of these groups are providing a valuable service in organizing the families and advocating for them. Others are whacko fringe groups with interests so far afield from the needs of the victims, it is scandalous.

There are many (certainly not all( who believe that the families of the victims are a new privelged class of citizen. They believe that they are more important than anyone else. What's worse, is that there are self-promoters in this group who are having their moment in the spotlight and love it.

Add that important dynamic to the usual complexity of getting things done in NY and you end up with a morass that will take years to unwind.

That 8 year-old boy does not give a rat's *** if the victim's groups are pro-war, anti-Bush, anti-anything. He needs a place where he can go and grieve for his father. His father was a hero that day. He is fortunate beyond words to have the FDNY to help him to never forget his Dad. But he needs a place where he can get closure and where he can go to remember and pay his respects.

That is why you should shut up BFD.

dazed and confused

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    That is why you should shut up BFD.
    Sorry if it's impolite, but...

As I was reading his posts, I was thinking the same thing.
    God Bless America! • Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™ • Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

August 6, 2005 -- New York will commemorate the fourth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks at the World Trade Center site in the same unadorned way it recognized earlier anniversaries — but with siblings reading the names of those they lost. And as the names are uttered by 100 pairs of readers, other family members will descend the ramp to the site's lowest level, where they will once again be allowed to lay flowers. The solemn ceremony will be halted four times — twice to mark when each plane struck a tower and twice to mark when each tower fell. The first moment of silence will be at 8:46 a.m. Houses of worship are being asked to toll their bells at the moment. The public will be admitted, but priority will be granted to the relatives of those who died on that fateful day. The ceremony is expected to end around noon, but the site will remain open to the victims' families until 4 p.m. "As New York City's renewal continues, we pause on the anniversary of that terrible day in September of 2001 to remember those we lost and to reaffirm our commitment to honor their lives — both by rebuilding lower Manhattan and by creating a beautiful memorial that will touch millions of hearts," Mayor Bloombag said.

At sundown, the Tribute in Light will return for a single night but at a new location, West and Morris

Greetings,

I hope they plan on using the money from known bank accounts of terrorists - not that I am against any other funding sources, however, we might as well hit them were it hurts the most.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SSTONER
    Greetings,

I hope they plan on using the money from known bank accounts of terrorists - not that I am against any other funding sources, however, we might as well hit them were it hurts the most.
    What?

Does it matter to you that it is probably not legal to do this? This is the type of nonsensical thinking that will result in this monument not being built. This government has been peeing away money on all types of silly crap for 225 years. Seems to me we might be able to find the relative pittance it will take to build the monument.

Forum Member

IMO yeah wish there was one but a memory is in your heart and mind not a block of concrete or a metal object erected for show.
    The first time I visited the Vietnam Memorial in DC, I was almost overwhelmed by the experience. It was like walking into a church. I've never forgotten that feeling, that was over 20 yrs ago. I gather that the Oklahoma City memorial is also a very powerful experience. Memorials DO serve an important purpose and, regardless of what real estate is involved, NYC needs to get off it's collective governmental ***** and do the right thing. Build it!

And MIKEY.......right on bro! Amen.
    In Arduis Fidelis
    Faithful in Adversity

Thread Information