MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation 2005 Fire Prevention & Safety Grants

I know everyone's mind is on the AFG awards but, don't get caught with your drawers down. If you are planning on submitting a FP&S grant in September, you should be busy right now, getting ready for it.

As in last years program you can expect that if you have not conducted a "needs assessment" or "risk analysis" you will not be afforded a very high priority in getting funded. Higher priority will be afforded to those departments who target senior citizens and juveniles under the age of 14.

Those of you planning to go after this grant should be conducting those surveys and making those inspections now! Don't delay, start today!
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Default Grant Ideas

Last year I wrote a grant for a fire safety house/trailer and was awarded. I am now in the process of gathering ideas for this year. Does anyone have any good ideas or projects that have been awarded in the past and are willing to share. I was thinking about a smoke detector/carbon monoxide detector program utilizing combination units. Does anyone have anything they are willing to share. I would be willing to share my narrative for the fire safety house with those who are willing to share their ideas/narratives. Just looking for some direction before I am stuck at the last minute trying to come up with something.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

If you will contact me, I can get you started. ( See profile for contact info)
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Any word on the balance of applications submitted in 2004? We have heard nothing on our Prevention grant application so I am still operating under the 'no news is good news' since I am yet to see a rejection as well.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Last word I got was that 2004 FP grants are over with. There was only 1 award in Round 9 on June 3rd, so since it's been 2 months I can't see anything else coming out. I'd make a phone call if you haven't heard anything.

MembersZone Subscriber

Same understanding that I have also Brian. All awards for 04 FP&S are done at this time.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Submitted 9/26/2004 would be a 2004 or 2005 award??

In either case, we have heard nothing on this one. Got a denial on our regular grant app but nothing on the Prevention grant

Who do you recommend contacting to get definitive answers? If it has indeed been denied, I want to polish it up a little and resubmit for the upcoming year since I feel the item applied for would be a tremendous educational asset.

Thanks guys!

MembersZone Subscriber

Calol the fire grant support help desk. If you have been rejected, I would be glad to lend a hand ( yes , it is free) if you contact me offline.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

For previous recent winner of retrofit detector programs. Were you proposing install of:

1.) Cheapie $10 Ionization Sensor/fire detectors
    2.) $20 Dual Photoelectric Sensor & Ionization Sensor detectors
    3.) Wireless "networked" detectors. (as Kidde Wireless). Avg $50/detector - $250/home
    4.) Wireless "networked" with phone dialers (as GE Simon). Avg $450/home

#1 & #2 fall into the better than nothing but decades old tech. Can accomplish much more with #3 or better yet #4 in protecting life. And in rural area, such as ours, #4 will have significant benefit in protecting property by early alert of Vol. FD. Networked detectors are however more expensive.

I'm wondering about grant success with apps for such equipment. Even if as only a demostration project. Are grant guys likely interested in property protection (#4) vs life (#3)?

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Watch for "laws" against auto-dialers

You should be aware that many states and cities have prohibtions on "auto-dialers". They must be set to dial a central alarm monitoring station and fines can be substantial. Here in Florida that is a fact of life, even though I generally disagree with it. ADT had a fit here when they enacted it about 6 years ago. Fine after three false alarms in a year can reach $250.00 a pop. Do your homework before committing to the project guys!
    Kurt Bradley

FH Mag/.com Contributor

As far as what the program priorities are, the grants are really only concerned with Life Safety, and within that, anything that deasl with the at risk age groups which are 0-14 years old, and over 65 receives higher priority.

MembersZone Subscriber

The bulk of programs I have seen success with are the cheapie $10 detectors and more than that - BATTERIES - Which are often forgotten. Throw in a program that sends your guys out twice a year to distribute AND INSTALL batteries to seniors and disabled and you have a pretty cool program.

DHS and the program guidelines just aren't going to consider the loss of property a high priority. As mentioned by others, loss of life is the most important. And another important item often overlooked by a FP program is an educational mailing (include postage!) & 911 frig magnet by your department reminding your citizens to change those batteries. (you can thrown in a letter detailing the services your department provides, include an envelope, and maybe, just maybe receive a donation!)

Just some ideas...GOOD LUCK!
    Alana Tomlin Denton
    Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

Forum Member

Default Smoke Detector Programs

Does anyone have any successful narratives on a smoke detector program. I have asked a few times and gotten little reply. I know many people do this. I am just looking for some direction to get started. I have a successful fire prevention house/trailer narrative that I have made available and emailed to many....just looking for a little assistance myself. If anyone can help my email is RsnFyr29@optonline.net

Thanks!!!

Thread Information