Forum Member

Default Anybody a firefighter in or around Dallas?

Hey, just wondering if anybody here was in or around the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex.

Just lookin' for a show of hands.

Oh yeah, and if you happen to be in the Mesquite Fire Department, Firehouse 3, I really wanna talk to you.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

Yep...here in Bedford
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Yes. Grand Prairie.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by jam755
    Yes. Grand Prairie.

How is the FD enjoying running EMS down there? I used to dispatch for Rural Metro there and heard it was alot better since Rural Metro left.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

Well, I have only been here for 3 months so I have a very limited knowledge. Most everybody I have come in contact with enjoys running EMS, but some of the older guys wish it would go away. I have heard that it is better than it used to be. So I guess that all in all it is going well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BFDLT32
    Yep...here in Bedford
    Do you know Doug Penland? He's a Chaplain somewhere in HEB.
    "lo que sea, cuando sea, donde sea"

J. Reeves FF/NREMT

http://www.ev911.org
    http://www.careflite.org
    http://www.standbymedical.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by reeveo
    Do you know Doug Penland? He's a Chaplain somewhere in HEB.
    He is in Hurst. I knew him when he was in Arlington as an investigator.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Jam, you know a new guy there named Jesus Estrada?

Forum Member

As a matter of fact, Jesus and I started together. He is at station 1.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985
    Hey Jam, you know a new guy there named Jesus Estrada?
    goodness. talk about a name.

Jesus + Estrada = greatest name EVER!
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

Actually I just got hired with Dallas FD. I start the academy next Wednesday, the 19th of October. From what I understand you Mesquite guys did your Acadeny training there, right? Is there anything I need to know before I start?

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Gixxster, if you don't mind me asking, how long ago did you test for Dallas? I have been waiting for a long time for them to start hiring again. Thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jschmidt
    Hey Gixxster, if you don't mind me asking, how long ago did you test for Dallas? I have been waiting for a long time for them to start hiring again. Thanks.
    I actually got luckly because I applied on the last day that they were accepting applications which was in April 2003, then I took the last written civil exam they had which was in June 2003. I then took the polygraph, CPAT and another couple of test later that summer. Then this summer around July/August they said all my scores and test had expired so I had to re-take all of them except the civil exam. It all happened really fast, within two months I had re-taken all my test, had my final interview and then on 30 Sept. they offered me a position to start in this next class on 19 Oct.

Honestly I'm not sure when they will start hiring again but I know that they will need to start taking applications before this next class ends. Just keep checking the site (www.dallasfirerescue.com) If I here anything after I start I will post it on here.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jam755
    As a matter of fact, Jesus and I started together. He is at station 1.
    I went to the academy and paramedic school with him. Bout time he got a job. Hope he doesnt show up late like he did in the academy

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info Gixxster, it helps very much. Good luck in the academy!

Forum Member

Default Best fire departments in DFW

I am hoping to become a firefighter somewhere in the DFW area and was wondering if there were certain departments that were thought of as the best ones to work for based on pay, benefits, workload, etc.
    Last edited by HookEm; 07-12-2006 at 01:54 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HookEm
    I am hoping to become a firefighter somewhere in the DFW area and was wondering if there were certain departments that were thought of as the best ones to work for based on pay, benefits, workload, etc. I've heard good things about Fort Worth but not so great things about Dallas. I'd also appreciate any info on the HEB departments because I haven't heard much about them. Also, does anyone know anything about the Allen fire department. Any info would be much appreciated.
    Went to high school in Allen, but can't tell you much about the fire department because when I graduated it was just a volunteer dept.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Hookem-
    I've heard a lot of good about FWFD and Arlington. I have an uncle who used to be on Dallas and he stayed on the ambulance 75% of his career. I'm going to apply with FWFD the next time they test.

...yeah I know I'm late on the conversation.

Forum Member

Good luck testing on FWFD agavegrove. I'll try to post next time I hear that they are testing. They just started a class the first of this year and will begin a second class sometime this summer. Not sure when the next test will be, but hopefully soon.

It is a great department.

MembersZone Subscriber

it all depends on what your looking for. If you want to fight lots of fire, and quickly, Forest Hill or Kennedale would be a good choice. Kennedale has pretty good pay now compared to what it used to and you get lots of fire. Forest Hill gets lot and both forest Hill and Kennedale run mutal aid for each other. Fort Worth would be a good choice also.

Dallas runs there butts of and if you want to be busy, go there. But, be prepared to ride the Medic A LOT. Bonus to working for Fort Worth, Arlington, and Forest Hill is that they have no medic units. But, if your like me, I love riding the box and getting the best of both worlds

Forum Member

Hey guys.....

Im with the 896 rehab group in Dallas (Box4). Just found the forum.

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify some folks from photos Ive taken. Id like to get them copies if i could or at least caption the photos and give them credit.

Here's a link - many thanks in advance.

Fire Photos

~DFD896-429

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985
    it all depends on what your looking for. If you want to fight lots of fire, and quickly, Forest Hill or Kennedale would be a good choice. Kennedale has pretty good pay now compared to what it used to and you get lots of fire. Forest Hill gets lot and both forest Hill and Kennedale run mutal aid for each other. Fort Worth would be a good choice also.

Dallas runs there butts of and if you want to be busy, go there. But, be prepared to ride the Medic A LOT. Bonus to working for Fort Worth, Arlington, and Forest Hill is that they have no medic units. But, if your like me, I love riding the box and getting the best of both worlds
    What dept. in DFW are you with? If you'd rather not post it on the board, you can send me a private message.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HookEm
    I am hoping to become a firefighter somewhere in the DFW area and was wondering if there were certain departments that were thought of as the best ones to work for based on pay, benefits, workload, etc. I've heard good things about Fort Worth but not so great things about Dallas. I'd also appreciate any info on the HEB departments because I haven't heard much about them. Also, does anyone know anything about the Allen fire department. Any info would be much appreciated.
    PM or e-mail me and I will get you information on the HEB departments. I can tell you about all of them.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by irishff513
    What dept. in DFW are you with?
    Box 4 is at station 28's with DFD.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxster
    Actually I just got hired with Dallas FD. I start the academy next Wednesday, the 19th of October. From what I understand you Mesquite guys did your Acadeny training there, right? Is there anything I need to know before I start?

How do you like it so far at DFD? I go to the physical on the 10th and polygraph after that.

Thread Information