Forum Member

Default State Mandated Training - Your answers

Does anyone know of any state where a firefighter does not have to have state mandated training in order to serve as a firefighter?

A friend just e-mailed me about an hour ago with this exact question. I am certain I know the answer but don't want to respond without asking first.

Note: He is asking because he is writing an article.
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber

Colorado for one.

Early Adopter

Unhappy Us, sort of.

Arkansas, sort of. I say "sort of" for a couple of reasons.

First, we finally beefed up standards for career firefighters a couple of years ago. Now, to be a career firefighter, you must complete a state-approved fire academy. However, there are still no training requirements on the volunteer side.

However, we have a program where insurance monies collected by the state are turned back to local departments to assist in funding. To qualify for that funding, a certain percentage (if not all) of your members must have completed a 16-hour Introduction to Firefighting class, a 16-hour Protective Equipment class and a 4-hour Wildland Fire class. So, while there is no mandated training for volunteer departments, most all of them require the 36 hours listed so that the FD can receive aid from the state.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Louisiana.....but I understand that may change soon....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Thanks for the information - I didn't know about Arkansas. Thanks guys!
    Jacktee

IACOJ

"Insert quotation here."

MembersZone Subscriber

Iowa is pushing for it

Forum Member

As DM said Louisiana currently has no mandated training, but, just last week the State Firefighters Assosciation at it's yearly convention voted to move along to it's legislative committee a standard that would require a roughly 30-hour training program (developed by LSU Fire training) for a firefighter to go interior. It covers several areas including styreams. airpacks, ventilation, forcible entry and as live burn component. It is intended as a primer for firefighter 1 (and the hours can be transferred when they take FF1) and a way for the smaller, rural departments with limited access to training to get firefighters on the line faster with a required amount of training. They then have 3 years to complete FF1 or else they will need to repeat the basic course. It will not, if passed by the legislature, be required for folks doing outside ops such as driving, pump ops, water supply, rehab and support. LSU will provide train-the-trainer workshops targeted at the small departments toi get a large number of instructors into the field, which currently is a problem with FF1.

My personal opinion is this a good first step. the reality of the situation here is that if you require FF1 , with the current lack of training resources statewide and the lack of instructors in the rural areas, many departments will shut down and simply NOT be replaced with paid resources, but instead will be covered by another far away rural volunteer department. This program provides a reasonable, required amount of training for departments that fight a very limited number of fires yearly and will not have thier membership take FF1, for a number of reasons (money, distance to training, lack of in-house resources, etc). I have been pushing for something like this in rural areas for a long time, and have discussed it many times on this forum.I think it is a good first step, though I know there will be those, some who have never worked in a rural area with very limited state resources to provide training and some who just feel diffrently about the subject. This training provides the basics of safe fireground operation and provides for a standard that all departments will be able to meet (ASSUMING THE STATE TRAINING AGENCY MEETS THIER END OF THE DEAL AND PROVIDES ADEQUATE TRAINING RESOURCES).

Forum Member

I believe Pennsylvania just raised the hours of FFI from 90 to 160 hours.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Default KY Training

Paid Firefighter: 400 Hours Initial and 100 Hours a year.
    Volunteer Firefighter: 150 Hours Initial and 24 Hours a year.

State incentive pay increases with over 50% of a volunteer department being IFSAC I. All members of a paid department must maintain the 100 hours a year or all memebers of the department loose their incentive pay. Incentive pay for the volunteers is a payment to the department.

MembersZone Subscriber

FF1 in NY by my class schedual is 78 hrs.
    This is my opinion and in no way represtents the opinion of my department.

Forum Member

New Jersey.... I don't think they closed the loophole yet that grandfathered you if you were active prior to 19xx (I forget the year).

You can't get in new like this but it sure put a lot of guys out there with a certificate in hand and not a lick of training and some of these guys weren't getting much on the job either since they ran like 35 runs a year.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default None Here

Wyoming has no mandatory required training for structural firefighters
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Cool Not Here Either................

It may suprise some, but Maryland does not have a specific law that says "You must have this, in order to do that" For Fire and Rescue. EMS is another story, I ain't going there. Individual Counties have Minimum Requirements, and they seem to be on the same track, with minor allowances for differences in operations from Urban to Rural and back. We have a State Fire Training Agency, and all Training is Referenced to the appropriate NFPA Standard. We also use the National Pro Board System as well. I'm not sure that a State Standard is a good idea, I prefer more control at the County level. I also question the wisdom of different Training requirements for Volunteer and Career folks. When someone is learning to put out a Fire, what does a paycheck, or lack thereof, have to do with it? The Fire is not impressed, and I'm not either.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Texas breaks it into two divisions...one regulated by the Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP) (career personnel) and the State Fire Fighters and Fire Marshal's Association (SFFMA) (vollies). The TCFP curriculum is required for all full timers. The SFFMA is not required, but recommended.

MembersZone Subscriber

Tennessee has no mandatory training requirements for firefighters.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Originally posted by ullrichk
    Tennessee has no mandatory training requirements for firefighters.
    You meant, Illinois has no mandatory training requirements for firefighters.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

It wasn't all that long ago that Tennessee had no requirements to establish a fire department - other than claiming to be one!

Does anyone else see a problem with having ZERO minimum training?
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Peetmoss...FF1 in NY (at least Suffolk County) is not the "real" FF1 -- you don't learn all the codes stuff. So, if you move out of state to say MD or CT where "longer" versions of FF1 are taught, your FF1 probably won't be good....I took the real version in CT and got the National Certificate. Some folks in Suffolk Cty were lead to believe they could take their "FF1" and go places with it.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber

As far as I know, RI has no requirements. Most paid departments have their own training classes. The state is in the process of building an academy in West Greenwich.

MembersZone Subscriber

I find it kinda nuts that there are some states that have no training requirments mandated before your suited up and told to go put out that fire. I wounder how many LODD were caused by FF's not having any training.
    This is my opinion and in no way represtents the opinion of my department.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by Peetmoss
    I find it kinda nuts that there are some states that have no training requirments mandated before your suited up and told to go put out that fire. I wounder how many LODD were caused by FF's not having any training.
    Probably more than we'd ever like to admit....what is even scarier is that firefighters are actually fighting to prevent their states from having mandatory training requirements. Atleast that's what happened here in Iowa.

I find it funny that to provide emergency medical care, you have to go through state/national mandated training, maintain continuing education and recertify.

To go into a hazardous environment, there is no training requirement, and even if you do complete Firefighter I, there is no continuing education requirement to maintain it.

Makes a person go HMMMMMMM?

Forum Member

It wasn't all that long ago that Tennessee had no requirements to establish a fire department - other than claiming to be one!
    And it would still be that way, if it were up to some of them.

OSD122

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    I also question the wisdom of different Training requirements for Volunteer and Career folks. When someone is learning to put out a Fire, what does a paycheck, or lack thereof, have to do with it? The Fire is not impressed, and I'm not either.

I've also questioned this. You being from P.G. County know just as well as I do, that a lot of volunteer companies in the U.S. see more fire than a lot of career agencies. So, why should training standards for volunteer agencies be any less than those for career?

Forum Member

The State of West Virginia gives the WV State Fire Commission the authority to regulate that sort of thing...

We are required, before being allowed to respond on dept. apparatus or be in ANY hot-zone, to have completed WV Firefighter 1, Haz-mat Awarness, and Basic First Aid/CPR.
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Originally posted by Peetmoss
    Now it's getting ticklish. The original question regarded STATE FIRE MARSHAL requirements. Most of these states have none. HOWEVER....

OSHA requires you to have the appropriate trainging to do your job. Sometimes that is left up to the ambiguous "authority having jurisdiction." BUT, you must have training in wearing a respirator (29CFR1910). The rule is very specific: fit testing, medical eval, quarterly training on use. Our SCBA are specifically mentioned in the rule. So is 2-in 2-out. You must have training in blood borne pathogens, and special hazards response (Confined space, trench, vertical, and hazmat). The special hazards training for us is very simple: we don't have the equipment or the training to mitigate, so secure the area, obtain equipment, and wait for special teams. It doens't have to be real elaborate.

Don't tell me you're not an OSHA state. Neither is Illinois. But if you have no OSHA plan in your state, it is because your state has created it's own workplace safety agency (in Illinois it's the Dept of Labor). You state's safety agency MUST adopt OSHA rules AS A MINIMUM.

To go into a hazardous environment, there is no training requirement, and even if you do complete Firefighter I, there is no continuing education requirement to maintain it.
    OOOOHHHH yes, there is. It's federal law.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Thread Information