District Chief

Smile On the ligher side--Only in West Virginia!

Skinny-dipping rescuers also need rescue

Associated Press

BULL RUN, W.Va. - In the end, they emerged unscathed - and unclothed. But 50 skinny-dippers who decided to take a dead-of-night swim in the rushing Cheat River got a bit more than they bargained for.

Dozens of people had set up camp at a popular party spot called Bull Run, awaiting the start of the All Good Music Festival nearby. About 3:20 a.m. Thursday, dozens peeled off their clothes and jumped into the swift-moving water near the mouth of Little Sandy Creek.

Authorities say one man apparently had a seizure, and another rushed to his aid. The seizure victim floated to shore, but the would-be rescuer became trapped on a rock, said Masontown Volunteer Fire Chief Dan Luzier.

Firefighters set up a rescue effort with boats and ropes, but the campers - many of whom had just been at the Rainbow Family gathering in southern West Virginia - thought the response was too slow.

They grabbed fire department equipment and scrambled, still naked, to save their friend. Luzier said they lost some equipment and got another man stuck.

It took about two hours, but firefighters eventually plucked the two men from the water using ropes.

"Doing a swift-water rescue at that time of night is really tough," Luzier said. "We lost some equipment, but we saved two lives. These things usually don't turn out that good."
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

WTF! I'm glad people here are civilized.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Firefighters set up a rescue effort with boats and ropes, but the campers - many of whom had just been at the Rainbow Family gathering in southern West Virginia - thought the response was too slow.

They grabbed fire department equipment and scrambled, still naked, to save their friend. Luzier said they lost some equipment and got another man stuck.
    Another case of "broken judgement" caused by a tippling of alcohol, I suspect:

"Hey Clem, you know how to use this stuff?"

"Heck no, but it shor nuff looks cool, let's try it out. Here Cletus, hold ma beer a sec."
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information